• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    And give your money to the assholes who shut down Dublin Dr. Pepper? For me that would be a big no thanks. I haven't had a sip of Dr Pepper since they did that and my body very much appreciates the change.

Actually, Dublin brought it upon themselves. Did you know they were originally offered the entire State of Texas as their territory and turned it down? They chose their own territory. A few generations later, they decided to expand their market and start selling in stores beyond their territory, which is of course what started the process of what led to where they are now.

The part the media left out of the story was they were given the opportunity more than once, and for quite some time, to just honor their original agreement and stay in their territory. The big evil corporation actually liked having the Dublin plant and story around for brand names sake. Dublin had the opportunity up to almost the last minute to back off and stick to the agreement.

It's a shame what happened, but it's not one parties fault any more than the others. For the record, I haven't had a Dr Pepper, or any other soft drink in a couple of decades, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :) I mean, I actually know someone who works for one of the companies and has inside knowledge to the history and what transpired.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Timex made a little computer with a touch screen you could right programs for in basic or machine code. A little 16k ram that plugged in the back. Acuually worked easier and better than the commodore, but the franchise rights were ungodly high at the time. Something like $2500 and minimum floor space, almost $2000 a month at the mall. With comodore, you just needed to make the purchase and sell. Timex lost.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'll just barely echo the sentiments for Studebaker and add one for Nash automobiles; not because they were iconic brands; but because there were two in our family as I was beginning my driving 'career'. My first car was a '60 Lark VIII, bare bones as could be...Ford 260ci V8 ! Eleven years old when I got it, it had only 33k miles on it! My sister had a Nash Metropolitan convertible for a while but couldn't master the "three on the tree". That car would be worth about 20 grand now if we had just stuck it in the garage! Also, I barely miss the Mercury line of automobiles, having owned a half dozen over the last three decades of the last century(Shoot, am I really THAT old?). They represented a kindler, gentler version of Ford that was much less expensive than the Lincoln marque.

Back on topic, I actually miss the original Black-eyed Pea. While there are a few locations left, none are located in central TX and they aren't near the restaurant they were back in the '90s and early 'zens.

And for any tennis players or golfers from the '70s and '80s, I miss Boast(Boasters) athletic and casual clothing...the one with the leaf(looked like a marijuana leaf but was actually a Japanese Maple). In the early '80s, I was a sales rep for them and we had nearly every college tennis team in the eastern half of the US wearing that brand...could match most school colors. When we introduced a new color, Burnt Orange, the Texas rep said we could just send the entire shipment to his territory!!! Sent a little bit to Clemson, Auburn and Tennessee; but the rest(better color match). came to Texas!

Edit: Holy guacamole!!! Talk about timing!!! Boast just re-introduced the line last year! This company site brings back some interesting
    memories:
    Boast USA HISTORY - Boast USA

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    a TI99/4a

Actually wrote an O&G lease records program, for small companies in need of tracking lease rentals, in TI BASIC, using this machine and a GE cassette player. Early 80's and 16 bit, that was tall cotton at the time for a "PC".

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Actually wrote an O&G lease records program, for small companies in need of tracking lease rentals, in TI BASIC, using this machine and a GE cassette player. Early 80's and 16 bit, that was tall cotton at the time for a "PC".

I always get a little worried that I'm the only one who remembers those things. Glad to see all the early coders haven't fallen off the face of the planet. My current boss actually coded a tax processing program for the Apple II back in the day, but couldn't complete it because of a limitation of the 6502 chip. Programing back then was sure as hell a time consuming thing. Modern Debuggers have simplified the whole process.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Pretty sure you can still get both of those. I know I've seen Schlitz on the shelf recently. I could swear I saw Colt 45 as well.

Hmmm! Papst owns them both now. What does the new Schlitz taste like?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Hmmm! Papst owns them both now. What does the new Schlitz taste like?

I don't know yet. I've slowly been buying stuff that I haven't had or tried in years just to see. Go to the Pabst website and you'll can see all the brands they've acquired/saved. The ones I've tried so far have been a pleasant surprise.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I don't know yet. I've slowly been buying stuff that I haven't had or tried in years just to see. Go to the Pabst website and you'll can see all the brands they've acquired/saved. The ones I've tried so far have been a pleasant surprise.

Ever been addicted to Orion?

Top Bottom