Desire to build an AR.

Robb in Austin

Jul 26, 2012
Gtown
With the $50 lower post, I've developed an interest in building an AR.

But, I know nothing about doing so. Or know anything about ARs in general. And I don't need one, although I suppose I could target/hog hunt with one(I have a small opportunity to go hunting next summer). Could you deer hunt with one(I have this desire to have a rifle I could survive with if needed)? And frankly, I don't know anything about rifles in general. I've shot a few over the years and own a .22 but other than that....

What say you with those with experience?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis

But, I know nothing about doing so. Or know anything about ARs in general. And I don't need one, although I suppose I could target/hog hunt with one(I have a small opportunity to go hunting next summer). Could you deer hunt with one(I have this desire to have a rifle I could survive with if needed)? And frankly, I don't know anything about rifles in general. I've shot a few over the years and own a .22 but other than that....

556 isnt a great hunting round but if you are wanting to build one who says it has to be 556!

Mreed911

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Apr 18, 2013
Austin, TX
556 isnt a great hunting round but if you are wanting to build one who says it has to be 556!
Exactly. 6.8 SPC would make a fine hunting caliber and you could have a 5.56 and a 6.8 upper...

I bought two lowers to build on. One of them will be the first item I transfer into a new trust so that I can start the Form 1 / SBR process. It took a lot of reading to get to this point... that and making sure that since I already possess a full-length AR that I didn't run out and buy the short upper willy-nilly. If anything, I'll buy it (the upper) last, after I've ordered the lower parts, had the receiver engraved with the trust info, etc.

No idea what I'll do with the second lower - I have no desire for an AR-pistol.

Definitely looking forward to it as a slow, steady project, and one I fund as I go. Keep the thread alive as you decide what and how to build!

Robb in Austin

Jul 26, 2012
Gtown
Better for hunting, ammo availability, etc. You know. Better. :D

Although, from a quick Google searching of 6.8 it looks good and probably better for my 'needs'.

Anger

Well-Known
Jan 7, 2010
Washington MI (glorious in summer)

If you're mechanically inclined and love investigating/learning new things, building an AR15 pattern rifle is tons of fun. The basic AR15 has so many variants due to different components. After that, there's lots other calibers that can be selected for an AR pattern rifle.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
OP...why are you interested in building an AR aside from the affordable lowers?

Top Bottom