• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm transitioning from Paleo to 80/10/10 Raw Vegan (for health reasons rather than ethical reasons as most vegans do) to see how it affects my performance and how I feel on the diet. It's pretty wildly different from how I normally eat. No meat, no dairy, no grains, and no corn. I'll be eating a ton of fruits and leafy greens along with some soy, legumes, nuts, and seeds.

More to come.

ARJ Defense ad

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hope it works out for you and whatever the health issues are clear up. I don't think I could give up meat, though....that would be tough for me.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Virtually every strict vegan / vegetarian type I've known has had nothing but constant health issues and horrible mood swings. They won't admit to this, but it's my observation. I will say that most people that eat vegetarian in the loose sense (white meat) tend to do pretty well for themselves. They manage their weight well and don't have the above issues.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Vegan/vegetarian couples have been charged with child abuse/endangerment because a meatless diet is unhealthy, and it doesn't allow children to grow properly.

I can understand going to a "low meat" or "very low meat" diet, but I'd never go "meatless".

There are required proteins in meat that you can't get from soy or fruits or nuts. . .

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think it's pretty hard to get enough protein without animal products. Meat, (red meat, fowl and sea food) eggs, milk and the like. Especially if you do any strenuous exercise. Lack of protein with exercise can actually cause loss of muscle. Nuts, soy, and legumes will provide some, but as I understand it (not an expert just casually read some things) protein from these sources are not as readily processed by the body, as animal protein.

Good luck.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've heard all that before and I don't disagree. Which is why it's experimentation. :) I love me some meat. (no homo)

I'd be happy on an all meat diet.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Humans are omnivores.
    Moderation and balance are the hard parts.

Good luck on your venture.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    So, Day 1, kinda hungry and I'm definitely craving a big lamb chop or some salmon. I suspected that I might just be hungry because I'm not taking in enough water so I just drank 32oz and that helped a bit.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    CW your going to run out of energy. If I try for salads as a main meal, few times a day and skip out of my reg meats, I get really tired. Even with the protein shakes. Its not the same. But do keep us updated.
    Just so you know, Im going to have a fat ass burger tonight...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    CW your going to run out of energy. If I try for salads as a main meal, few times a day and skip out of my reg meats, I get really tired. Even with the protein shakes. Its not the same. But do keep us updated.
    Just so you know, Im going to have a fat ass burger tonight...

I don't think I'm going to run out of energy because by eating a metric crap ton of fruits and vegetables I'll be taking in a lot of carbohydrates. We'll see. I'm pretty in tune with my body and the hows and whys I feel a certain way. I'm bound to feel odd when I basically bust a nutritional 180 on my system from going to a high fat zero carb diet to a high carb low fat diet. There are actually a lot of athletes that eat a 80/10/10 raw vegan ("811rv") diet and are fine with it. I don't think my measley 6 mile a day runs plus weight training can stack up to what these folks typically do:

Vegan Raw Food Health and Fitness, 80/10/10 Diet, blog and articles by Dr. Douglas Graham

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Right now at a little after four in the afternoon I haven't had a meal since 11:30 and I feel fine after I drank that water. I haven't been getting as much water this week as I'm used to getting. I need to get like one of those big gallon jugs and take it to work with me.

My lunch consisted of some blackberries, pineapple chunks, and one mango.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    do you grow your own veggies?
    Might could get some local meat that is minimally processed...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom