• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    I am still new at this so go easy. I have been looking through the Internet trying to find reloading info on some bullets, but I have been unable to fine anything. Is it safe for me to simply choose a similar bullet for which reloading information is available and apply that to my unknown bullets? If I can find data on .308 dia, flat nose, jacketed, 150gr, flat base, brand 'Y' bullets, can I apply that reloading data to my .308 dia, flat nose, jacketed, 150gr, flat base, brand 'X' bullets?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just drop your load by 10% and work from there.

Try the manufacturers website for the bullet also, many of them post load data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    ^^. Good advise. Most bullet manufacturers will give 1 set of load data for a given diameter and weight in a given gun, the, post a *
    Indicating, data may be used with spire point, flat point, hollow point, etc..........

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Not much annoys me more than investing a lot of money in a manual and then finding out it doesn't have the specific information I require. Many of these very expensive manuals are not available to look through and see if they cover my application. I have to shell out $35 to $50 to get a manual that 'might' do what I want. Sounds like it might be more productive to go to Vegas and try the blackjack tables...

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Not much annoys me more than investing a lot of money in a manual and then finding out it doesn't have the specific information I require. Many of these very expensive manuals are not available to look through and see if they cover my application. I have to shell out $35 to $50 to get a manual that 'might' do what I want. Sounds like it might be more productive to go to Vegas try the blackjack tables...

If your getting a manual from the bullet manufacturer then it will have the information your looking for. If your not using name brand bullets then contact the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend. Oh and if you think $50 is a waste on a manual it will pail in comparison to some of that wonderful relaible info some stranger on the net gives you and you blow up your gun.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Try Hornady's website. Most of the hard copy manual is on line. Was last time I looked anyway.
    Free is good and no problem printing what interests you.

Edit. It appears they have removed all load data from the website. Dang!

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    If your getting a manual from the bullet manufacturer then it will have the information your looking for. If your not using name brand bullets then contact the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend. Oh and if you think $50 is a waste on a manual it will pail in comparison to some of that wonderful relaible info some stranger on the net gives you and you blow up your gun.

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    This^^
    Based on your last and Original posts.
    Yes, that is what I will do, although I will buy the Speer manual, it should cover the bullets I'm using.

I know for a fact that Speer's latest manual does not cover some of their later bullets.

And yes, I do think spending $50 on a manual is a waste, if it does not do the job.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Yes, that is what I will do, although I will buy the Speer manual, it should cover the bullets I'm using.

I know for a fact that Speer's latest manual does not cover some of their later bullets.

And yes, I do think spending $50 on a manual is a waste, if it does not do the job.

What bullet are you loading?

I hate buying loading manuals too.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    WTF?

Bullets of the same type (jacketed vs. lead) and the same weight are going to function very similarly. With rifle bullets, the ballistic coefficients may be different and you could see a slight difference in drop at long range.

Regardless of any of that, you should always drop back 10% (as has been pointed out several times!) and work your load up from there. If you want the most out of a load it has to be tailored to the bullets you're using and the gun they're being fired from.

All of the powder and bullet manufacturers have FREE loading information available on line. Bitching about the price of manuals or their lack of your particular bullet is like bitching about the weather - it changes nothing.

Reading glasses? Yeah, that was suggested because you don't seem to be reading the information being provided in the responses.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    If the bullet is spec... .308 and not .309, .310, .311, .312... AND the length of the part that will bear on the rifling the same AND the weight is the same, then the load data should cross over with little problem. Using published data whether from your book or hodgdon.com or hornady or ammoguide.com, you should reduce the load, unless warned otherwise, by up to 10%. Published load data has changed over the years as powder composition has changed and primers have changed. In all, be cautious.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Andrew I'll check my latest manuals within the next two days and send over what info it has.

Edit - What bullets are you trying to load? I have three manuals.

Top Bottom