• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks for the info, but I've already seen it. The only Speer bullet listed is the first one, the 110 grain, which brings me back to the question I originally posted: can reloading data for a known bullet be used when reloading a comparable but unknown bullet? After consideration of posts by mikeofcontext, Vaquero and Texasjack I'm going to conclude that the answer is YES, though always go back to the starting load and work up.

The powder I choose is based primarly on what my dealer stocks. My choice to go with H4895 was pulled from hodgdon's Basic Reloading Data and a list of my dealer's inventory. I think the dealer also stocks Varget but I'm not sure about Lever, if they have Varget I will probably go with it.

If I had worked up some conclusive data that the H4895 was performing well, then I would stick with it, but it doesn't seem to be consistent (either that or it is consistent and performs the same on all loads!). I haven't been able to nail down a load and say 'this is the one'.

I have generally used 3031 in my 30-30 over the years. I have loaded 125 HP's and 150 RN's with that powder. I seem to recall that some manual I had suggested it was the "potentially most accurate powder" in its write up.

BTW, that 125g HP is a GREAT round for the 30-30. The deer I have shot with it didn't take one step.
    Military Camp

andrew678122

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    El Paso
    Just to let you know I'm still around. The last time I went to the range I shot my reloads, Speer #2011 150gr with 29gr of IMR4895 and a CCI200 primer. Cases were all trimmed to length, sized and the bullets seated using Lee's Collet die set. I then used Lee's factory crimp die. This was shot at an accurate 50 yards. If it wasn't for the one flyer it would be a damn nice group:
    DSC08779.jpg

Top Bottom