Dipped my toes in the motorcycle pool...

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by hoytinak, Jul 31, 2008.

1. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Bought my first motorcycle today! I know it's a Honda and it's only a 600, but I just got my license this week and have never ridin one before so I thought I'd start small. Figure I'll learn on this for about a year till I get feel comfortable enough to jump up in size. Put 60 miles on it today and I must say it's pretty fun...plus I figure it'll save me some gas too.

[​IMG]

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    That is a great bike.It is definitely going to save you gas and insurance is cheap.I have a 1986 Magna in Mint condition with only 10,000 miles and it runs like new.Be aware of your surroundings as it takes one person to ruin your day.Ride safe!:D

3. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Congratulations; have fun and ride safe. Texas is a great place to ride because you can pretty much year-round and there are so many great/pretty back roads.

4. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Congratulations, that's a good looking bike!

I think you made a very smart choice by starting off with a smaller bike. You'll learn much faster on it.......and have a lot of fun doing it.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Ditto. Take a MC Safety Course also.

My first bike was a Honda Ascot back in 1984 (yeah, I'm old). It was 500 CC and I had one of our motor jocks give me some training. It was INVALUABLE.

I am hoping to buy my fourth MC this fall.

6. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    So you're old, huh? :D my first was a 1949 BSA B-33, back in 1969. :p
    [​IMG]

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    :p I was 8. lol

8. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    nice ride:banger: my first cycle was a 65 duke. and I real old.

9. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I broke it in pretty good today (for me anyways). My father and I took a trip up to Guymon, OK and back today (just under 200 miles). I think this little 600 did pretty good, I was able to keep it up with traffic with ease. I averaged between 65-70 mph (pegged out at 92 mph once though...I had to see what it would do :D) and got 60 mpg on the way there but only got 43 on the way back due to wind. I was worried it wouldn't have enough power but I was impressed it did really well for it's size. I would recommend this VLX for any new rider.

I did ride my father's Honda 1300C for about 20 miles and man that was freakin sweet...but I think mine was more comfortable though.

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You are close enough to New Mexico & Colorado to make me jealous! I'd love to ride out there. Most of our riding is done in the Texas Hill Country, up to N.E. Oklahoma, or South to Houston/Galveston.

Isn't it funny how we look at a 600 as something to learn on, when it's really a nice mid-sized bike? It wasn't until they came out with the 1500's , 1800's, and now 2300 (Triumph) that a bike of 600 cc's is no longer a middle-weight. Used to be, that was something you worked up to...............