• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I don't believe in Karma but maybe it will come around.
    It did on July 7, 2016 in the worst way imaginable.
    Not agreeing with the guy's motive or perspective, but it is clear that bad behavior by public servants can sometimes have repercussions and spawn negativity.

P.O.'s should leave their ego at home or in their locker once they put the badge on. They have a job that deals with the scum of the earth 24/7. What do they expect they are going to find, polite/respectful people that always follow orders?...lol. Escalating any situation due to his/her ego while on duty is a tragedy waiting to happen and feeds the hate. People have rights... and if you don't like it, too bad. If a public servant cannot control themselves, then they are in the wrong job.
    Guns International

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yes L.E. has an often brutal job.

Yes, they interact with a lot of disrespectful, obnoxious citizens, but citizens who're like that as Ozz. points out is part and parcel of being a street cop. Acting like an angry child when stopped is just plain stupid on the part of the citizen, but it isn't against the law to be a jerk.

Does it makes sense to act like a well respected neighbor stopped you to chat when stopped by L.E.? Yes, of course. It's in everyone's best interest to act like rational/reasonable/adults.

And yes, if the interaction goes smoothly things are better for all concerned, but L.E. does themselves no favors about boasting in effect how they can 'get even' if you act obstreperous when said citizen is still being law abiding.

Oh, retaliation is understandable on L.E.'s part when a citizen acts like a mouthy, pouty, sulky pinhead.

No, no it's not.

It is highly unprofessional.

If an L.E.O. can't stand the heat.......

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Pharmaco has a point. Sharkey did say he would treat people differently based on how they acted toward him.

Every one of us has acted like a jerk at some point in time. How would we want to be treated?

Does he have a point? I don't know what job you do but don't you treat people differently based on their interactions with you?

Look, you can call it unfair (as if life is fair) all you want and yes we all want to be treated nicely but that ain't reality. I font want to be cursed at or spit on or have some moron tell me how to do my job or explain (wrongly ) the law to me. YOU the civilian pay me to enforce the law and safeguard the community in general and that includes POS drivers. Most LEOs are given latitude in how to do that. I fought a guy for crossing against a light and gave a glass of water to a murderer not yet arrested. So many asshats talk themselves into tickets or cuffs. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. You want respect, you better give it. In an office that doesn't mean much. In the street, that can get the LEO assaulted. If you haven't experienced that, you are ignorant to that reality.

You'll can imply or insinuate that I or other Leo's are thugs or break the law to enforce it all you want. It just show your ignorance and arrogance. Oh BTW, I think Pharmco is a *ick, I suspect Ozzman is too. You, I don't know yet.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Does he have a point? I don't know what job you do but don't you treat people differently based on their interactions with you?

Look, you can call it unfair (as if life is fair) all you want and yes we all want to be treated nicely but that ain't reality. I font want to be cursed at or spit on or have some moron tell me how to do my job or explain (wrongly ) the law to me. YOU the civilian pay me to enforce the law and safeguard the community in general and that includes POS drivers. Most LEOs are given latitude in how to do that. I fought a guy for crossing against a light and gave a glass of water to a murderer not yet arrested. So many asshats talk themselves into tickets or cuffs. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. You want respect, you better give it. In an office that doesn't mean much. In the street, that can get the LEO assaulted. If you haven't experienced that, you are ignorant to that reality.
    You'll can imply or insinuate that I or other Leo's are thugs or break the law to enforce it all you want. It just show your ignorance and arrogance. Oh BTW, I think Pharmco is a *ick, I suspect Ozzman is too. You, I don't know yet.
    A professional does not.

You're making the assumption that everyone else is emotionally immature and unable to control their impulses.

The fact that you're fantasizing about pulling people over and wishing for karma just based on forum interactions says a lot more about you than anything I could ever post.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Actually, I do strive to treat everyone the same regardless of their attitude. That is how I was raised. That is called professionalism, not to mention maturity.

I did not use the word unfair. I will use the word wrong, though.

I pay LEO's to be professionals as they do their jobs.

I never insinuated anything. I have a number of close friends who are LEO's. They agree that police must be above petty recriminations. They all believe that LEO's should be professional and patient.

You mention being assaulted, that is not the topic of this discussion. That is an entirely different subject, and a line has been crossed at that point.

And quite frankly, what opinion some poster thinks of me really has no impact.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    This is an educational thread.

Years ago in downtown Houston, a friend I worked with (never arrested or been in trouble with the law - hard working middle manager) was in the process of walking across the street per the electronic 'walk sign' and was lightly knocked down without injury by a patrol car with two officers in it.

They both got out and roughly demanded his I.D.

He roundly cussed them out.

The driver of the patrol car had not been paying attention to his driving and I guess both LEO's thought they'd try to intimidate my friend. (especially if he filed something....)

Eventually, appreciating my friend wouldn't cave to there bullying, they both warned 'him' to be careful 'next time' and drove (slunk) off.

So yeah, when an officer screws up, the citizen gets to do some chewing out and they, L.E. ought to just suck it up without retaliation and move on....

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Oh BTW, I think Pharmco is a *ick, I suspect Ozzman is too. You, I don't know yet.
    cat.jpg

The first thing I tell any officer when I get pulled over is "I don't answer questions". My good friend that is a lawyer (and is my lawyer if needed) told me to say that.

I guess that does make me a "*ick" lol.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Yeah, but I feel like it might've been taught differently at my Sunday school.

Wasn't it "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

Where are you seeing "don't make my job difficult by following the law or I'll violate the law of the land to soothe my ego"???

Are you having a problem with "treat me nice and I'll do the same"??

Come out yelling and screaming "WTF did you stop me for AH" and my attitude will take an adjustment. I will be polite but realize I'm holding a royal flush to your pair. Besides it's fun to be nice to a total AH. It just pisses them off more they can't drag you down to their level.

Last edited:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Are you having a problem with "treat me nice and I'll do the same"??
    Come out yelling and screaming "WTF did you stop me for AH" and my attitude will take an adjustment. I will be polite but realize I'm holding a royal flush to your pair.
    No, not at all.
    I have a problem with abuse of power and disproportionate response based on emotional impulses.
    The problem I have is the greater context of this discussion.

It started with us saying that omitting or refusing to display an LTC during a traffic stop is fine.
    Others incorrectly disagreed.

I fundamentally disagree with their anti-gun position.

We followed the rabbit hole here.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    A professional does not.

You're making the assumption that everyone else is emotionally immature and unable to control their impulses.

The fact that you're fantasizing about pulling people over and wishing for karma just based on forum interactions says a lot more about you than anything I could ever post.
    Sure, whatever. Yeah, I fantasized about you? It is the wig Frank wears in your avatar. It is you that is making assumptions about me who you never met and assumptions about things you have never done. Maybe you fantasize about being a LEO or in control. I dunno, but maybe up your dosage?
    You honestly can't be that stupid to not understand what I initially wrote or maybe you are? Either way, go ahead and have the last post btw us in this thread (I will always have my fantasies......)

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    View attachment 153447

The first thing I tell any officer when I get pulled over is "I don't answer questions". My good friend that is a lawyer (and is my lawyer if needed) told me to say that.

I guess that does make me a "*ick" lol.
    Let me guess, are you a Soverign citizen? So you are just gonna be mum on a traffic stop because your lawyer told you that?? That is stupidly funny but yeah I guess my suspicions are confirmed..

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Actually, I do strive to treat everyone the same regardless of their attitude. That is how I was raised. That is called professionalism, not to mention maturity.

I did not use the word unfair. I will use the word wrong, though.

I pay LEO's to be professionals as they do their jobs.

I never insinuated anything. I have a number of close friends who are LEO's. They agree that police must be above petty recriminations. They all believe that LEO's should be professional and patient.

You mention being assaulted, that is not the topic of this discussion. That is an entirely different subject, and a line has been crossed at that point.

And quite frankly, what opinion some poster thinks of me really has no impact.
    Well you strive to do so but I really doubt you achieve it 100%. Doing this going on three decades now, I think I am pretty mature and professional. I don't think the Fortune 500 com0any would have hired me and given me a raise otherwise.

You are the better man to not care what others think of you. Maybe that is a lie too, I don't care really. You missed my point. I was not changing topics about assault. I was saying that if a LEO allows the violator to walk all over him it will not end well for the LEO. Issuing more tickets or taking you to jail when I lawfully can but ordinarily would not does not make me or any other LEO unprofessional.

I am always amazed at how much so many people know about LE when they have not done it. Good on you.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    sharkey,

C'mon, you don't see some folks think a small percentage of L.E.O.'s are over the top in their exercise of law enforcement?

I think the vast majority of L.E.O.'s are rock solid, but a very few should not be in L.E. as they're not psychologically fit.

Whether they recognize it or not, some enter L.E. with a secret chip on their shoulders hoping someone will exhibit enough foolish behavior they can 'cuff and stuff' em. This provides job satisfaction for these few. Ugly job satisfaction.

Power mad and perhaps not even self aware enough to see it in themselves, as introspection might be too much a threat to their ego, but simply think, 'I'm always in the right' and you non-L.E. must respect my Authori-tie!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Well you strive to do so but I really doubt you achieve it 100%. Doing this going on three decades now, I think I am pretty mature and professional. I don't think the Fortune 500 com0any would have hired me and given me a raise otherwise.

You are the better man to not care what others think of you. Maybe that is a lie too, I don't care really. You missed my point. I was not changing topics about assault. I was saying that if a LEO allows the violator to walk all over him it will not end well for the LEO. Issuing more tickets or taking you to jail when I lawfully can but ordinarily would not does not make me or any other LEO unprofessional.

I am always amazed at how much so many people know about LE when they have not done it. Good on you.

I may not achieve it 100%, but I don't make stooping to the other person's level my standard policy, as you have indicated that you do.

Since when is rising above someone poor behavior "letting someone walk all over you."? As a professional LEO, you better know the difference in when to rise above rude conduct and when things are going physical.

And quite frankly, I put more stock in what my LEO friends (many of whom have 30-40 years of experience) tell me over someone on this board.

Recriminating does make you unprofessional. Sad, and telling, that someone cannot recognize this.

Feel free to have the last word.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think the vast majority of L.E.O.'s are rock solid, but a very few should not be in L.E. as they're not psychologically fit.
    That is the case in every profession. As long as it's human being doing any job, there will be a few people doing that job who are incompetent or malevolent. Across any human population large enough (the number doesn't have to be big and LEOs are a plenty big pool for this to be statistically certain) there will be a few incompetents and a few who are downright evil.

That's the reason I never blame "the police" in general when I hear of misconduct from one or a group of police officers. I know there are bad apples in every barrel.

And I'll stop there before I derail this thread even more.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Make sure when an officer approaches your vehicle during a traffic stop you have your DL, LTC, and proof of financial responsibility in hand. Don't be surprised if the officer elects to disarm you until the traffic stop is over. Be calm and courteous. No one likes getting stopped.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Make sure when an officer approaches your vehicle during a traffic stop you have your DL, LTC, and proof of financial responsibility in hand. Don't be surprised if the officer elects to disarm you until the traffic stop is over. Be calm and courteous. No one likes getting stopped.
    That's it right there! Show the officer what he requests from you. Keep your smart ass comments to yourself. More likely than not your gonna drive away with what you had when stopped.

Top Bottom