• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Disaster Preparedness and Recovery For the Armed Citizen

This is a work in progress. Your input is welcome.

I'm by no means an expert on this topic. My goal is simply to get folks thinking about a disaster situation while still keeping ones self armed, a topic I've not seen much written about.

I'm not going to speculate on an end of the world as we know it type disaster. I'll leave that to some science fiction authors and toeach his or her own. I'm going to address the more mundane yet realrisks and compromises one makes trying to say armed and prepared before during an after some realistic scenarios in a urban environment based on some recent history, laws and musings. After the disaster in these type situations there is a real chance of returning to normality and the world as we know it moving on due to the overall small scale of the disaster where most of the population was not affected.

Most of the time I don't have a answers here, just thought provoking questions. I'll never have an answer for your situation, your risk assessment and your priorities.

Disasters

Most recently here in TX we've had fires. Living in the Gulf Coast area Hurricanes and flooding are an issue. That includes the influx of refugees from displaced people. City folks have had mobs and looters from time to time. Tornadoes in Joplin Missouri come to mind. Power outages, interruptions of the supply chain of goods. The list goes on.

Abandoning Your Guns.

If you have a large collection chances are during a bug out or move to safer ground situation you'll be leaving behind some of your guns.

What kind of safe do you have at home? Fire and water? Will it keep your collection safe from possible looters during your absence? What kind of records do you have of your guns?

What to Take With You

Rifle? Shotgun? Handgun? How much ammo?

My thought would go to a handgun and all the full magazines you can carry. No sense in hulling around ammo in boxes unless you have a revolver and even then some speed loaders would be better in my opinion.

Rifles\Carbines\Shotguns do have advantages here in Texas. You can carry without a CHL including open carry. Just don't look threating. Again I recommend carrying magazines as opposed to boxed rounds. I recommend a small light carbine over a shotgun.

Carrying Your Guns

Do you have a holster for your go to handgun? Sling for your long gun? A way to hide them on your person to not look like a threat?

If your go to Glock sits in a drawer all the time and you don't have a good holster preferably concealed then it is not going to be handy. Do you practice concealed carrying that gun enough to bug out with it?

A nice square bag that doesn't have a tactical look for your carbine is great to carry around without too much suspicion.

Keeping Them Safe

How about a small safe? Tie-downs and locks for your bags? Trunk of a car or place to hide it?

Volunteering with your gun.

Do you want to help others during a disaster? Most volunteer organizations aren't going to like the fact you are armed. Plan accordingly.

Situations That Occur

I have a friend in Baton Rouge LA. After Katrina he said his experience was in the city “The streets had eyes”. Bad folks were looking for victims. Soon after Katrina while getting gas hehad three guys approach him and clearly ask for his wallet and to getaway from his car. He drew his weapon and they started backing away fast and asking him why he drew a gun.

Duringa disaster there will be folks off their medication, prescription or otherwise, that keeps them in check. There will be others who are looking for the first opportunity to benefit at the expense of others from the situation with the added incentive that they did not prepareas well as you did.

But that's why we are going though the cost of having a firearm during the disaster right?

Shelters

If you decide to carry a gun you will not be able to use most publicshelters. During the aftermath of Katrina the shelters asked folks there to disarm.

Plan accordingly with backup shelters like tents and a place to be thatputs you and yours comfortably out of the way.

Laws and Legislation

I really want to do something here but I've run out of time. There is now law where LEOs can't disarm you during a disaster for the most part.
    DK Firearms

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Good stuff - anything that get's people thinking - that's the first step toward preparedness.
    I'll reserve comment until I put more thought into it...
    But I'm looking forward to seeing what other people here can contribute to this thread!

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Great start :)

I suggest having a BOB (Bug Out Bag) packed with anything you may need to survive on foot for 3 days at least. It actually dosen't have to be a very big bag to accomplish this task. Generally the more you spend on the bag though you get more comfort out of it.

I actually have multiple bags. I have a sling bag that I use as an EDC (Everyday Carry Bag) I keep 2 spare magazines in there for my pistol, 2 bottles of water, a field stripped MRE, a flashlight, a headlight, a pair of mechanix gloves, a 5watt handheld UHF radio with a spare battery, basic Garmin handheld GPS with waypoints programed in for the house, lake, families homes ect, lighter, some spare batteries and a First Aid Kit. That leaves me room to get other things in there that I may need to carry around during the day. But it's basically enough to get me home even on foot from anywhere in the local area.

My BOB (3 day bag) has things similar to above but with 3 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags along with 3 field stripped MREs, a firestarting device, one change of pants and shirt, 3 pair of socks and underwear, some weapon cleaning gear, spare AA and AAA batteries, 5 watt UHF radio with spare battery, baby wipes for a field bath if needed, katadyn water filter, iodine tabs incase the filter breaks down for some reason, a sleeping bag with bivy sack, sometimes a tent depending on time of year, Large knife (SOG Sealpup), Coleman Max backpacking stove and 2 cans of fuel.

I'm sure there is stuff I forgot.

If you are budget limited you can setup a BOB and EDC bag and make it to where the items that are duplicated between the two bags can be eliminated in the BOB by just dumping your EDC into your BOB if you need to use it.

Also have a plan to get out of Dodge if need be. You actually need 3 plans cause there may be road stoppages the area of the first plan may be under mob rule or affected by what ever disaster has hit you.

Have a plan that doesn't involve a vehicle for transport. Fuel may be in limited supply or completely exhausted roads could be clogged beyond being passable, if it's something like an EMP event your vehicle may not even work. I've got a car plan, a motorcycle (dual sport bike) plan and a evac on foot plan. Hope I never have to use those lol.

Note on public shelters- during any kind of event like Katrina one key to survival is keeping a low profile and AVOID PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW. Public shelters (Look at the ones from Katrina) are horrible places to be during any kind of disaster and you are much better on your own or with a small group you trust. You go to a public shelter they are going to disarm you and if you have a lot of supplies for yourself you can bet they're going to take them and redistribute them as they see fit.

Read up on some stories from some of the volunteers that went in there to help the people in the area. It'll make you think twice about trying to help large groups of people during a widespread time of crisis. First and foremost on your mind should be you and your family.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks jeepinbanditrider

My thoughts are you already have a BOB and this is primarily dealing with the gun\guns you bring along and the issues one will face now that you're armed.

How does a gun make you different than anyone else during a disaster? What kind of considerations are there?

destroyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    peñitas
    All I carry is a backpack with 2 30rnd mags. Water proof matches, lighter, toilet pape, knife, spare phone charger. And my sling shot. (In case I run out of ammo, I can use the old school slingshot) .

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    This subject comes up time and again.

My first instincts were to hunker down and bug-in.

Lay on a 30-day supply of food and water, medicines, personal hygiene items, fuel, and pet food.

We don't get impacted much by hurricanes or tornadoes around here, but I never considered flash fires or earthquakes.

My thinking has evolved:

(1) Make copies of critical documents: Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Social Security Documents, Titles of Property Owned, Vehicle Registration, Insurance Policies, Investment Portfolios, Bank Accounts, Credit/Debit Accounts, Health & Immunization Records, and Contact Numbers/E-Mail addresses (among others).

(2) For a family, a bug-out-bag will not do. You will have to assemble a BUG-OUT-KIT. Fill some footlockers or suitcases with food, water, medicines, first-aid kits, a water purification kit, flashlights, batteries, toilet paper, soap, towels, sleeping bags, and a tent. Don't forget the can opener, a portable stove, cooking vessels, and knives and forks. Be sure to have some disinfectant and bug juice. Have a battery-powered weather radio or portable television. Take your fishing gear. Have at least $1500 in cash and coin.

(3) If you have to abandon your house: Your gun collection will be lost. Make sure what you leave behind is photographed and insured.

(4) As for all your other possessions: Photograph everything ... Furniture, Clothing, Linens, Washer & Dryer, Televisions, Dishes, etc. Take photos of EVERYTHING!

(5) Plan your escape route. Either by foot or by car. Know in advance where you want to go. Stay off major highways.

(6) Arm yourself for self-defense and subsistence.

(7) Pray daily that you will not have to evacuate your home, but be prepared.

(8) DO NOT vote for Obama in 2012!

Be well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    One thing many people don't think about is "The Secret" for lack of a better term. If you plan to stay put and prepare for that, shut your mouth. If a disaster strikes, where do you think all of your friends and family, as well as any unwanted guests are going to go? Probably the most prepared place possible, and that may be your place if they know about your preparations. Are you prepared to house 20, 50, 100 people if need be? Are you prepared to put a gun in your friends face and tell them to leave? It is just easier to avoid the situation. If you tell just a couple of people, all they have to do in a disaster is tell a couple more people, and you have the whole town knocking on your door. If the disaster is that bad and people are literally fighting for their lives, you could be in serious danger.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    This subject comes up time and again.

(2) For a family, a bug-out-bag will not do. You will have to assemble a BUG-OUT-KIT.

Every able bodied member of a family should have a BOB and that would be the kit. If you had to bail out on foot how would you move all of your stuf thats in footlockers and whatnot?

Sent from my iPhone

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have started carrying a "Get Me Home Bag" in the car.

My memories include TS Allison when a lot of folks got trapped on the other side of town from their home due to flooding. Vivid memories of seeing all those cars underwater on Hwy-59 in the concrete canyon, and power outages in many parts of town. That coupled with the possibility of civil unrest, terrorism, etc. I wanted to be able to head out on foot from where I (and possibly another person) am at and have the means to make it home safely, even if it takes a day or so.

The bag stays hidden in the back of the car.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    With a wife, 3 yr old, and 1 yr old i have kept my plans to bugging in, i know this will not work for many situations but going on foot with 2 children would be an extreme last resort. We do keep a camping tote with everything needed for cooking and shelter that can be thrown in the back of the truck quickly. Interested to hear if anyone else in this type of situation has a good family plan.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I'll start another thread for BOBs and plans. I'd really like to keep this to the issues guns pose when you want to be armed during those 72 hrs after a disaster but before things get organized esp. if you need to bug away or are away from your home.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I appreciate you "keeping it real matefrio".

I cant find a away to keep a carbine consealed while walking about except if I put it in a baseball bag. Then it looks funny so I have given up on it in favor of a large handgun. I have my Glock 19, defensive handgun plus a 6.5" 44mag in the bag. I have been considering a scoped G19 but right now the 44 seems to work and I can get good hits at 100yds.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I'll start another thread for BOBs and plans. I'd really like to keep this to the issues guns pose when you want to be armed during those 72 hrs after a disaster but before things get organized esp. if you need to bug away or are away from your home.

Here's your answer: Keep a hand gun and extra mags close to your hip before the disaster. Securely store a long arm and ammo in your home before the disaster. Keep a loaded & safed rifle or shotgun in your vehicle at all times.

What more can you do?

Be well.

OU: 0
    BU: 0

Langenator

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    2 biggest gun related things I can think of:

-know which guns you plan to take with you, and have them ready to go, especially in high hazard seasons (fire/hurricane/tornado)

-make sure you have an inventory, make/model/SN minimum, preferably with pictures, of the guns you have to leave behind. This could be critical for dealing with your insurance company, and possibly police, if your house is destroyed and/or looted while your away. (This is also a good idea for other expensive items.) Make sure the inventory is kept ready to go as well.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    2 biggest gun related things I can think of:

-know which guns you plan to take with you, and have them ready to go, especially in high hazard seasons (fire/hurricane/tornado)

-make sure you have an inventory, make/model/SN minimum, preferably with pictures, of the guns you have to leave behind. This could be critical for dealing with your insurance company, and possibly police, if your house is destroyed and/or looted while your away. (This is also a good idea for other expensive items.) Make sure the inventory is kept ready to go as well.
    All good ideas...I keep a list on a thumbdrvie that is always in my pocket. Easy to edit as you buy/sell and casn be printed out or emailed from any computer.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I keep a pistol & extra mag, a 30-30 & extra box of ammo, hunting knife, oil, anit-freeze,batteries, MRE, a load of hand tools in my truck. All my other handguns, shot gun, and fishing gear is at home. If need be I think I could head for the hills in my truck. I would stop at academy to get clothing, ammo, fishing gear, boots, etc before I headed for the hills if I couldnt make it home. If academy is closed I have a sledge hammer and a rifle in my truck.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    IMHO a prudent plan for the armed citizen in a disaster / crisis situation is to be able to link up with other armed citizens.

practice with your buddies, and get some decent plans set. if you are going to bug out, make sure you send the proper messeges so your team will meet up with you.

if your safety si coming from the barrel of a gun, better to have more than jsut one on your side.

family units? everybody gets armed.

i am making a load bearing vest for my dog so he can pull his weight and carry ammo or food or communication gear.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I keep a pistol & extra mag, a 30-30 & extra box of ammo, hunting knife, oil, anit-freeze,batteries, MRE, a load of hand tools in my truck. All my other handguns, shot gun, and fishing gear is at home. If need be I think I could head for the hills in my truck. I would stop at academy to get clothing, ammo, fishing gear, boots, etc before I headed for the hills if I couldnt make it home. If academy is closed I have a sledge hammer and a rifle in my truck.
    1. An MRE left in your truck in Texas will last a few months at best. Heat is an MREs worst enemy.
    2. If part of your plan is to steal stuff you need, you dont have a plan. going to the store AFTER a disaster is nieve. I would recommend you make a list and aquire those things you need now. Not only is planning to steal a moral issue, it may get you shot.

Top Bottom