• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It may also get you labeled a "Rambo-Lite" as this article explains, LOL.

The Silver Bear Cafe
    Great article! And it hits the nail on the head. Many experts on the subject will point out that among the most unprepared is the guy that says "I got a gun and a knife/ax, and with those I can get anything else I need." This guy that breaks out a gun to "get what he needs" will probably be among the first casualties. They usually fail to remember that tens of millions of others have gun too.

No offense to anyone but that is a very juvenile method of preparation.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    If the stores were open I'd surely pay for it. If I could afford to buy or rent a house I'd have alot better setup than my current apt living. When I did have a house I had a garage with space for canned food and extra water. If I had a house Id live off stocked dry food and freezed food. With my current living situation I'd have to bail.
    Morality goes out the window when SHTF. Really it all depends on the severity of the disaster and what the gubbment decides to do.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ouch, you couldnt be more wrong...
    Morals do not vary depending on your surroundings.

Your right. I also shouldnt have re-used the word morality in regard to theft. Stealing is wrong, but I'm not talking about looting or shoplifting for a thrill. Here's the problem, I think were on two different pages here. This whole discussion has me thinking of a-bombs, zombies, red dawn, plauge and millions dead imagining stuff being abandoned. Yes, I watch too much TV. If that were the case I would have no problem taking supplies and getting to a safe place. If stealing a car to high tail it or getting shoved into a concentration camp are my only options call me immoral. I'd rather owe god one for stealing than later be burned alive. This is all very hypothetical but I think our idea's of SHTF are very different.
    If were talking about floods, earthquake, riot etc. I wouldn't steal a thing. I've been through extended power outages and earthquakes. Never stole anything when that happened.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I believe that the key is to prepare NOW so you dont have to steal later. Even apartment dwellers can prepare for emergencies. I have a friend that has an apartment but also rents a storage unit that is stocked so well he could live out of for a year if need be.

You always have options. Think outside the box. I think stealing should only be an option after numerous other options are exhausted. If for no other reason, thieves may get shot in a situation like that.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think that groups of people will band together. Vigilante justice might be the norm, until order can be reestablished. Those that are viewed as not being team players, threats, and those breaking established morals will be dealt with quickly to maintain a semblance of civilization. Those that have prepared will have an upper hand, but I don't think a lot of people will tolerate allowing the strong steal from the weak. Anybody that thinks they can carry a gun and blast anyone in their way to get what they want has been playing too many video games, and is living is just as much a fantasy world.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    As far as firearms go, I keep my ARs and 1911s in condition 1 in the safe (two of each), and each of them has eight spare magazines that are always loaded (30-rounders with M855 for the ARs, and 7-round with FMJ for the pistols). As an after-thought, I added a 50-round box of .45 ACP to the ready position in case I have the room for it. The mags for the ARs are in 4-mag shoulder pouches and are hanging on hooks in the safe, ready to grab.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think that groups of people will band together. Vigilante justice might be the norm, until order can be reestablished. Those that are viewed as not being team players, threats, and those breaking established morals will be dealt with quickly to maintain a semblance of civilization. Those that have prepared will have an upper hand, but I don't think a lot of people will tolerate allowing the strong steal from the weak. Anybody that thinks they can carry a gun and blast anyone in their way to get what they want has been playing too many video games, and is living is just as much a fantasy world.

If it's a matter of survival and you have the means to take what you need to survive, do you really think you'll not take the necessary steps to ensure your own survival? If not, you'll die of hunger/thirst on the side of the road with a loaded weapon, and people that DO have the WILL to do what they need to do will take your weapon and use it. So much for your moral compass...

I ain't sayin' it's right, or even acceptable, but human nature being what it is does not allow you to have much in the way of principles when it comes to survival. That's the sad truth of it. Saying that you're above all that is preposterous and absurd because you honestly don't know where your morality ends and instinct to survive kicks in. I'd like to think that I would only do something illegal as a last resort, but again, who knows...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    No one is saying they are above anything. It is not preposterous ot say you have morals that will not allow you to be a thief.

The point being made was that if you have exhausted all other means and need to steal to prevent starvation that is one thing. To make no plans, to not prepare in any manner other than to have guns, and to then say "I will steal whatever I need" is not a plan at all and makes you no better than a common thief.

I disagree wholeheartedly with your statement:
    human nature being what it is does not allow you to have much in the way of principles when it comes to survival

Humans are unique in that we CAN control our impulses if we decide to.

Point is...prep now, so you dont have to sink to thievery later. Otherwise we are no better than liberals who say, "You have it and I need it so give it to me"

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I think morality would be more important after SHTF. Now, scumbags are protected by the government and get processed through the system for probation or a light sentence with good time. If SHTF society will deal with these people properly.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think morality would be more important after SHTF. Now, scumbags are protected by the government and get processed through the system for probation or a light sentence with good time. If SHTF society will deal with these people properly.

I think we're talking about two different kinds of SHTF. I'm talking about the total breakdown of the rule of law, resulting in almost total anarchy. Law enforcement will be the enemy until they - as individuals - prove otherwise, as will federal troops. Anyone wearing a blue beret/helmet will more than likely be shot on sight. I'm not talking about a natural disaster that's restricted to a geographic region of the country.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I think we're talking about two different kinds of SHTF. I'm talking about the total breakdown of the rule of law, resulting in almost total anarchy. Law enforcement will be the enemy until they - as individuals - prove otherwise, as will federal troops. Anyone wearing a blue beret/helmet will more than likely be shot on sight. I'm not talking about a natural disaster that's restricted to a geographic region of the country.

That's also what I had in mind. People form into tribes very quickly.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    total breakdown or natural disaster, morals are morals. you have them or you dont. In a total SHTF situation having some social rules will be as or more important than they are now. If you cant go around stealing what you need now, why do you think it would it be easier when things are more scarce and people are much more protective?

Time to come up with a real plan.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts[/FONT]

Unfortunately this seems to be the trend of the younger generation, however it's not a new issue.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Are you prepared to put a gun in your friends face and tell them to leave?
    Friends will be welcomed, handed a rifle, and put on perimeter watch. I'll take in as many as I think we can support. There's safety in numbers. I probably only have about 6-7 folks I'd consider real friends, tho. Acquaintances and even a couple choice family members will get the gun in the face treatment.

On the subject of guns... I think you should always have a pistol and rifle handy. You should already have your carry handgun with you, right? So that's covered. Keep a rifle with ammo in each vehicle. Keep one in as many hidey holes as you can find in your house. Keep one in the shed. Keep one at your girlfriend's house. Keep one at your parent's or other nearby relative's house. Hell, keep one a friend's house. I don't expect anyone to be able to have top of the line MBR's stashed everywhere, but even if it's just a bubba'd Mosin it's better than nothing.

Also keep a first aid and "3 day survival" kit with each rifle.

Large knife (SOG Sealpup)
    You call that a large knife? That's a toothpick... Now this is a knoif
    Now-thats-a-knife-46981984917.jpeg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hmmm, morality is relative? I must have missed that memo somewhere.

Anyway, as was mentioned before, keep records for insurance and get a good safe if you have to leave something behind. I don't plan on leaving anything behind though. As always, don't get killed trying to save your guns in a fire, etc. They're all replaceable, but you're not.

It's kinda funny that people put so much emphasis on guns and ammo when your more immediate needs will most likely be water, food and heat (depending on time of year in Texas). Not saying guns are unimportant, just that they're not the end-all-be-all. You don't even have to store that much water, get a good quality filter and a $1 bottle of bleach (also very portable). Have some warm sleeping bags for the winter (you can also throw in your car if you need to go). Food - much has been written on this. It's pretty easy to stock up if you buy a little extra here and there each week at the grocery store.

If you have 5 ARs and 10,000 rounds of ammo, but no way to procure food in a moral manner, you need to re-think some things. Don't mistake your neighbors kindness for weakness either. I'm one of the nicest guys around, but if you come for my kids' food I will turn it on "like a switch."

cfell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Hill Country
    For 'purifying' things, try some Brewers cleaner.. Cleaning Carboy with PBW - YouTube
    a local source.. Austin Homebrew Supply

Beer keeps well... and may be bartered...

Some 1/2 inch plate steel can provide some protection. You can stack against the corner of the walls of a room and make a quick but limited "safe" space...and you can stack flat on floor in garage or under bed if space is limited.

Securing 'in place' is better than road exposure. Once the initial 'fur ball' subsides, you'll have a chance to poke your head out for a 'walkabout'...

Fuel storage.. get some 'Stabil'. Add to 55 gallon drums of fuel (don't forget the pump to dispense and "dolly" to move). You can store the drums in lots of places... in the ground or above... If concerned about "drawing attention", just get your fuel over period of a couple weeks by 5 gallon cans and pour into the drums.

Same for water. I know where you can get some drums with 'food grade' interior coating. Just wash out with the PBW noted above.

Weapons ... secure a .22 and ammo in a PVC tube with "humidity" control added. Bury or stash elsewhere..

T

Top Bottom