• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Battery operated tools are practical, I can't say that for electric automobiles.
    I think for some applications, yes electrical powered vehicles can have a practical purpose, but it's foolish to think that they can replace all uses of gasoline or diesel powered vehicles for all applications. It's not feasible or practical IMO.

The politicians and tree huggers are having a wet dream in thinking they can replace all vehicles for all purposes.
    Venture Surplus ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think for some applications, yes electrical powered vehicles can have a practical purpose, but it's foolish to think that they can replace all uses of gasoline or diesel powered vehicles for all applications. It's not feasible or practical IMO.

The politicians and tree huggers are having a wet dream in thinking they can replace all vehicles for all purposes.

Technology is closing that gap on a daily basis. I don't think it's as "foolish" as you claim.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Technology is closing that gap on a daily basis. I don't think it's as "foolish" as you claim.
    When an electric vehicle is to the point where I can drive to Colorado Springs at 80 mph and only stop for ten minutes (the time I would spend filling up at the gas station) along the way, then I might consider one.

We are a loonnnggg way from that.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Then you have better luck than me with them. Every spring when I start using my small equipment again after setting for several months, I spend several hours cleaning and getting them ready to use.

This is just about what I am finding is better for my own personal use. YMMV. I am not trying to sway opinions or advocate for electric over gasoline. Each person can read this thread and make their own choices as to what they think is better suited to their own needs.
    I do like the Dewalt battery powered sawzall. Saves from dragging 100' of extension cord around. But that required buying several batteries (the longer lasting) to get a decent operating time.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Well, your 2026 vehicle is now required to get 40mpg on gas. Good luck. Hope you can fit in a FIAT!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The ICE with 427 horses I am driving now will last until I leave this earth.
    2Jrz4DC.jpeg.jpg

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I have never had trouble getting any of my 2-strokes to start on a cold day. There are pros and cons to every choice and they add up differently to all. This discussion was being made over pneumatic vs. cordless electric tools in the automotive industry 20 years ago.
    I’ve got a Stihl motor head for the combi unit, a Stihl blower and a Stihl weed wacker. All 2-stroke and never a problem starting and are all over 10 years old and have required no work to them. I think that the key is to avoid running the ethanol gas and to get a decent quality tool. I’ve had Weed Eater brand, Craftsman, as well as Poulan in the past, and they were finicky to start.
    Agree on the pneumatic vs cordless. I recently took a chance on a cordless impact, and it’s every bit as powerful and my pneumatic.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Ten years ago, if you had to try and convince me to switch from a gasoline chainsaw to a cordless electric, I'd have laughed at you. This afternoon, I bought a Skil 40V cordless chainsaw! Been using this afternoon to take down a few trees, and I'm impressed with the power of the saw. I'm going to sell my gas chainsaws. If or when my weedeater craps out, I'm going to replace it with a Skil 40V weedeater! I like how as long as the battery is charged, it's always going to be ready to use whenever I happen to need it. No more gas and oil measuring and mixing.

I’d be interested to hear of the weight difference. Is it any lighter with the battery installed than a gas saw of comparable size is? I have use for a chainsaw maybe once every year or two for a few cuts, which is why I haven’t bought one yet. This option might be something for me to consider.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I’d be interested to hear of the weight difference. Is it any lighter with the battery installed than a gas saw of comparable size is? I have use for a chainsaw maybe once every year or two for a few cuts, which is why I haven’t bought one yet. This option might be something for me to consider.
    My gas Poulan weighs about 14 pounds, the cordless Skil specs at 8.8 pounds, with battery installed.

I can tell the difference in weigh for sure. for the casual user and homeowner, I can highly recommend the cordless Skil chainsaw.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy

Another sale on Woot for battery powered devices. I'm posting in case someone wants to switch, I have nothing to do with Woot.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Another sale on Woot for battery powered devices. I'm posting in case someone wants to switch, I have nothing to do with Woot.
    If I needed to replace our push mower, I would very much consider going cordless. But with the riding mower and weedeater, we really don't use a push mower for the yard. In fact, I took the older mower and turned it into a redneck brush cutter.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You need a cordless electric riding mower....

Lowes has the EGO all electric zero turns. They're the same price as the Ikon gas powered zero turns they sell. I just cannot fathom mowing part of the yard, then having to wait for the damn thing to charge again. We've got a diesel Kubota mower with a million hours on it that was my grandparents when they used it in their land clearing & mowing business - still runs great, and the 2 acres of grass I've got to mow takes about a gallon / gallon and a half of diesel to do, depending on how many passes (IE if my lazy ass lets it get too long or its really wet grass)

We have a Craftsman electric weed eater - got it because of battery compatability with some other cordless tools. 20V setup. Eats batteries like a mofo. I get 10-15 minutes of run time on full bore before it starts crapping out and I hafta swap batteries. If we lived in town on 1/4 acre, it'd probably be fine. We don't, and I'll be snatching up a Stihl or Ecco gasser this spring because I"m getting tired of the whole battery nonsense. I've got two battery chargers and four batteries, and I'll run thru every one of them and still need more power to do all the weed eating just around the house, carport, and driveway.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lowes has the EGO all electric zero turns. They're the same price as the Ikon gas powered zero turns they sell. I just cannot fathom mowing part of the yard, then having to wait for the damn thing to charge again. We've got a diesel Kubota mower with a million hours on it that was my grandparents when they used it in their land clearing & mowing business - still runs great, and the 2 acres of grass I've got to mow takes about a gallon / gallon and a half of diesel to do, depending on how many passes (IE if my lazy ass lets it get too long or its really wet grass)

We have a Craftsman electric weed eater - got it because of battery compatability with some other cordless tools. 20V setup. Eats batteries like a mofo. I get 10-15 minutes of run time on full bore before it starts crapping out and I hafta swap batteries. If we lived in town on 1/4 acre, it'd probably be fine. We don't, and I'll be snatching up a Stihl or Ecco gasser this spring because I"m getting tired of the whole battery nonsense. I've got two battery chargers and four batteries, and I'll run thru every one of them and still need more power to do all the weed eating just around the house, carport, and driveway.
    I look at the investment of an electric riding mower if I was starting over, I might consider one, but I can't see replacing a good running riding mower with electric.

My gas weedeater is still going good, so hopefully it's a ways off from being replaced. Plus as you know my property is still very wooded and I'm still clearing land so the gas weedeater does seem the better choice for my needs.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County

I've seen reviews of the rechargeable riders easily mowing 2+ acres. I've got a small yard now. A 4amp 40volt battery will run my self-propelled mower, weedeater and high speed blower with very little left over. Granted I have an additional 4amp and 6amp battery. The high speed blower really consumes power, much more than the self-propelled mower.

The other upside is mowing at 7am without disturbing the really close neighbors. The mower sounds like a fan.

Top Bottom