• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am a member of the San Antonio InfraGard program (an alliance sponsored by the FBI to protect critical infrastructure) and wanted to help spread the word on this important issue that could affect computer users tomorrow if they don't take today! :eek:

Everyone is aware of the DNS server issue that occurs tomorrow?

To assist victims affected by the DNSChanger malicious software, the FBI obtained a court order authorizing the Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) to deploy and maintain temporary clean DNS servers. This solution is temporary, providing additional time for victims to clean affected computers and restore their normal DNS settings. The clean DNS servers will be turned off on July 9, 2012, and computers still impacted by DNSChanger may lose Internet connectivity at that time. (Source)

This stems from a incident from last November where six Estonian nationals were arrested and charged with running a sophisticated Internet fraud ring that infected millions of computers worldwide with a virus and enabled the thieves to manipulate the multi-billion-dollar Internet advertising industry. Users of infected machines were unaware that their computers had been compromised—or that the malicious software rendered their machines vulnerable to a host of other viruses.

It was called Operation Ghost Click and began in 2007 when the cyber ring used a class of malware called DNSChanger to infect approximately 4 million computers in more than 100 countries. There were about 500,000 infections in the U.S., including computers belonging to individuals, businesses, and government agencies such as NASA. The thieves were able to manipulate Internet advertising to generate at least $14 million in illicit fees. In some cases, the malware had the additional effect of preventing users’ anti-virus software and operating systems from updating, thereby exposing infected machines to even more malicious software.

The bottom line is that your computer may be affected and you don't know it until such time as you will not be able to get on the Internet tomorrow.

You can test to see if you are affected by visiting the following DNSChanger Check-Up site below.

DNS Changer Check-Up - Clean

If this Check-Up site indicates that you are affected by DNSChanger, then visit Detect | DCWG for information on how to address this problem.

I just checked mine and I appear to be good to go!

If anyone has any greater insight into this, please share as I am far from being a cyber expert. I just wanted to get this info out in case some of you weren't aware of it.

Cheers! M2
    Venture Surplus ad

Top Bottom