Do you encourage young people to go into the military?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
I havent been out for all that long and my 8 years in the Army Reserves was really good. Got to travel a lot, go to several leadership schools and i had a great MOS. Most of all i never had to go overseas. I have several degrees using the GI Bill and just bought a house with a VA loan.

But looking at the military now, especially under this administration, the radical gay agenda, the Afghanistan war having no end in sight, lack of leadership and lack of respect for veterans and finally the latest is the congress wanting to reduce retired veterans benefits (including disabled vets)...i cant encourage young people to now serve in the military but dont fault and do respect those who do choose to serve.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
I still do, but make sure that they understand all the conditions that I can while doing it. Got one in particular that I and a few other vets talked to at length a number of years back, really wish he had gone in to the service, probably would not be in the big house now........:(

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Three times in the past twenty years I have recommended to single mothers, with young sons they simply could not handle, to get them in the military as soon as possible. All three of these young men, by benefit of having been in the service, are now the kind of "citizen" this country needs, with an enhanced regard for themselves and their country.

Would it work today? I hope things have not changed that much, but perhaps they have.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
While i was in i found it to be a place where there was discipline to be had and learned if you wanted it and you could skate by like a dirtbag with multiple slaps on the hand if you wanted to be a dirtbag. Perhaps that was just in the Reserves. From what i have heard they are putting more people out, not by virtue but to save money.

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
A good argument can be made that it would do this country a world of good to reinstate a draft with no deferments that could be subject to politics or to who you know. A "citizen" army in this country has historically had benefits for the generation that serves, the one after, and most of all, for the country.

China, in this recent incident with our Navy, just basically told Obama and Kerry to piss off. It may become necessary sooner than you think.

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
A good argument can be made that it would do this country a world of good to reinstate a draft with no deferments that could be subject to politics or to who you know. A "citizen" army in this country has historically had benefits for the generation that serves, the one after, and most of all, for the country.

China, in this recent incident with our Navy, just basically told Obama and Kerry to piss off. It may become necessary sooner than you think.
Still waiting for the "good argument".

As to the OPs question: some of them. Really depends on the person.

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Still waiting for the "good argument".
Yep, there are pros and cons. But consider that historically many, if not most, of this country's most effective and acknowledged "leaders", with an ability to unite the country when it was threatened from without or within, have been the product of a draft heavy military.

AAMOF, you have to blur distinctions to a fault to name any that have come out of the recent, all volunteer, military; where most above field grade are arguably better politicians than leaders/warriors?

Go ahead, start naming...

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
Yep, there are pros and cons. But consider that historically many, if not most, of this country's most effective and acknowledged "leaders", with an ability to unite the country when it was threatened from without or within, have been the product of a draft heavy military.

AAMOF, you have to blur distinctions to a fault to name any that have come out of the recent, all volunteer, military; where most above field grade are arguably better politicians than leaders/warriors?

Go ahead, start naming...
I don't believe that is a valid argument to reinstate the draft, not even close.

I'm sure we will be in complete disagreement so I think it would be better to leave it at that than get in a long drawn out debate where we both burn through millions of electrons and get know where. Bad use of electricity, lol.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
More cons than pros. No one wants a peacetime military full of people who don't want to be there. I agree with national service of some sort, but not automatically the military.

However, I still would recommend joining to anyone who is undecided as to what to do with their lives. Despite the reduction in benefits (which has been going on long before the current administration), I still think military service offers opportunities you cannot get from other occupations.

I came from a military family and served 25 years in uniform myself and have been a defense contractor for the past eight basically doing pretty much the same thing I did on active duty (but under better terms! :D ). We also have a 16-yr-old son who, if he doesn't go to college, I will push to join as well.

I barely got through high school, not because I was stupid but I just wasn't motivated. Since joining I've earned three college degrees, traveled all over the world, lived in several foreign countries, and experienced adventures I could never have dreamed of otherwise. Those opportunities still exist, although it won't be as easy as it was during my time as with overseas base closures and force reductions, but they're still there.

Bottom line: I wouldn't trade my military experience for anything.

Cheers! M2

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
I don't believe that is a valid argument to reinstate the draft, not even close.

I'm sure we will be in complete disagreement so I think it would be better to leave it at that than get in a long drawn out debate where we both burn through millions of electrons and get know where. Bad use of electricity, lol.
You're basically right, of course, but that would depend a great deal upon your experiences from having served in a draftee military to base your qualified, informed belief/opinion upon. ;)

Let's both hope the opportunity never arises.

Top Bottom