Military Camp

Do you ever save $ when reloading your own shells?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I'm new here, finally decided to make my 1st post. Sorry if this should have gone in the General Firearms & Ammo sub-forum.

Why I'm asking,
    Ever since I was a kid I wanted a real gun, but have only had airsoft, bb, and pellet guns. The only time I even held a real gun was at some bass pro store many many years ago. Well I'll be turning 20 soon... which is too young to own or at least buy a handgun, so I thought I'd go for a shotgun or rifle, in the $400 or below range. I live in north Austin. Google says there is a skeet range or 2 by me... but I don't know if a shotgun would be fun to shoot at a indoor range. (I imagine taking a burst of shots to see how accurate I am... I have no idea how this will work or be fun with a shotgun)

On to the question,
    When reloading shotgun shells, do you ever save any money? I've seen videos of people making their own birdshot, but have no idea if they ever saved any money. If you save any money, what are your sources for products and methods?

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Military Camp

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to TGT. Based on your description, you'd be much better served by a rifle and some ammo. I'd recommend a .22 rifle like the Ruger 10/22, Remington 597, etc. It's got cheap ammo so you can shoot more, it's a great platform to learn on, and it's easier on the ears at in indoor range.

Best value, will get you into shooting, and will build skills you can use with every gun forward.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The indoor ranges will not allow shotguns except with slugs. Reloading will save money over the cost of premium ammo. Generic "dove and quail" loads use cheap components and do not pattern as well as Winchester AA, Federal Gold Medal or Remington's premium offerings. If you just want to go bang, then no you will not save money. If you want an edge in hunting or target shooting (Skeet/Trap) then yes, you will save money.

I agree, for a first gun a Ruger 10-22 is almost impossible to beat.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have to agree with these guys. A .22 is a better choice for a first gun. A 10/22 is a very good choice.

The average shooter will not save money reloading shotgun shells.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Shotgun shells in common gauges (20/12) can be bought at Walmart as cheap or cheaper than they can be loaded for birdshot. Buck and slugs can allow for savings, or loading a less common she'll like .410, 16ga, or 10ga.

That said, I agree with everyone else. Get a .22 instead. You'll have a lot more fun. If that's just not something that interests you jump to .17HMR. But you can put a lot more rounds through a .22 for the cost of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I can save a bundle on reloading .410 3" high brass loads. Reloaded 12 Gauge field loads are a 50/50 wash with store bought. It's best to buy Estate 12 ga field loads at Academy and save the time and labor.

High brass Duck loads and Buckshot loads can be cooked up at a substantial savings. Some of those rounds cost $40 per box at retail and the cost to load them (if you have the hulls) is a fraction of that.

Flash

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I don't want to get too into gun differences and such. As I seem to have a bad habit or over tasking a single thread and people don't like that.
    But I'm not really sure if I would want a .22. I was wanting something bigger. I'm also not sure how well it would go down with buying .22 ammo as it is used by handguns too. There was this part of me that was thinking I could get into skeet every weekend or something. Then maybe go hunting in the future with shotgun. (unsure if deer or duck)

If I got a rifle I would want a bolt action and to go more of a sniper route,(not sure where I can shoot more then 100yrd) also possible hunting in the future. Home defense for either type, even tho they're not so ideal. (Bolt action, then 26-28" shotgun barrel) My dad had a 10/22 stock and barrel for a while, but it was missing the receiver... I only ever looked at it and it looked fairly small. I've currently got this bb/pellet gun and was having some issues pulling the trigger. (been a while since I've shot it) I remember every time I would try and squeeze the trigger I would end up moving the gun too much. I think it was because the gun is just too small. Also worried about the 10/22 stock being too short.
    (All I really want is a sniper or a skeet gun, then I could attach things like home defense and hunting even tho they may not be the best at them. They're not a first priority)

Great info on shell reloading. I forgot to ask, can you do more then one shell at a time on the reloading press?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You will likely be unhappy if you try to use one gun for several different tasks, no matter how much stuff you attach to it.

Trigger pull: you have to learn it.

Small stocks can be replaced, especially with a 10/22. They can be built in to very accurate rifles.

Lastly, I'd suggest meeting with someone and getting more experience with rimfire and centerfire rifles and shotguns. Then make a decision.

Figure out what you want to do the most (not what you'll settle for) and then try to find the rifle or shotgun that will best help you reach that goal.

If that happens to be long range shooting, it doesn't mean a custom .375 cheytac is the best purchase.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    That, or just buy a handgun person to person, if that's what you really want.
    Is it legal to buy/own a handgun at age 20? or is the "person to person" part the difference? There definitely are handguns that I know I want, but they are more expensive used then a new shotgun.(G17 G19 CZ-75) You don't have to mention a gun that will fit my budget of $400 or less, but that's what I want to aim for on my first gun, maybe even less to include a better gun case or some accessory.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It is legal to own one.

It is only illegal for an FFL to sell one to someone under 21 due to fed law.

Any non FFL can sell one to someone under 21.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It is legal to own one.

It is only illegal for an FFL to sell one to someone under 21 due to fed law.

Any non FFL can sell one to someone under 21.

This is correct. It is state law that allows ownership of firearms @ 18. Federal law prevents licensed firearm dealers (FFL) to sell rifles or handguns to anyone under 21, but has no say in unlicensed private sales in Texas.

Just FYI. Many places will not sell pistol ammo to someone under 21 so they may card for 22lr as it can be used in both rifles and pistols.

All the advice in this thread is accurate. Start small. There is no firearm the server all purposes. Buy one that is cheap and cheap to shoot (22lr or 12 gauges). Practice with that one and go from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you are interested in clay shooting, I think thats great. Its fun to hit moving targets. My kids love to shoot clays, whether its skeet, trap, five stand or sporting clays (my favorite). The cost of loading has to take into account how long you plan to do it. Since you are young, it could turn into a life long passion. The cool thing about clay shooting, is that you can do it extremely casually, or you can compete as high as your skills will allow.

I disagree with some of the earlier comments on shotshell loading. I think my loads are better ammo than the Estate or other low end shells. There are things you can do to minimize the cost. I would be willing to bet there are guys on here who would give you some hulls to start you off. Me included. You might check into local gun clubs, as they often offer members "reclaimed lead" for shot and also sometimes do a large group purchase of components to defray costs. I buy powder in 8 lbs jugs, much cheaper that way. And I look for deals on primers when they are on sale.

The loading itself is therapeutic for me personally. I enjoy it, and don't view it as a bother.

I use a progressive press, so it does four or five stages at every pull of the handle. I can load a box of shells in under 15 minutes. It stays set up, and I only load one round, so its ready when I am. If you had to set it up every time, it would take longer. I don't duck hunt anymore, and I pretty much just do clay shooting or dove hunting, but using the same shells. Works great.

The gun club thing can be great. My guess is that some of the members might like a young guy in their group, so they can pass on their skills. And you have someone to shoot with, which usually makes it more fun. If your finances don't allow that, there are lots of places to shoot clays.

Pretty much any shotgun will work. I started on a Mossberg 500 pump my dad gave me. Later I moved to a Beretta semi auto. The SA has much less recoil. My 12 year old son shot it well, and he weighed 125 lbs when he started. And Walmart has some older versions for around $600. They work just as good. I prefer the Beretta over Browning (plastic components), Benelli (more expensive) and a few others due to reliability. I have been shooting my AL390 for about 20 years, with literally thousands of shells through it. Its never jammed once. I recently received a 400 as a gift, and I am sure it will likely be the same way.

Good luck with your journey. Shotgunning can be a ton of fun.

Last edited:

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I'm new here, finally decided to make my 1st post. Sorry if this should have gone in the General Firearms & Ammo sub-forum.

Why I'm asking,
    Ever since I was a kid I wanted a real gun, but have only had airsoft, bb, and pellet guns. The only time I even held a real gun was at some bass pro store many many years ago. Well I'll be turning 20 soon... which is too young to own or at least buy a handgun, so I thought I'd go for a shotgun or rifle, in the $400 or below range. I live in north Austin. Google says there is a skeet range or 2 by me... but I don't know if a shotgun would be fun to shoot at a indoor range. (I imagine taking a burst of shots to see how accurate I am... I have no idea how this will work or be fun with a shotgun)

On to the question,
    When reloading shotgun shells, do you ever save any money? I've seen videos of people making their own birdshot, but have no idea if they ever saved any money. If you save any money, what are your sources for products and methods?

Thanks,
    Higgins909

If you ever get to Houston, shoot me a PM, & I'll happily allow you try some of my hardware.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Hone

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    A 10/22 is a good pick. Most Savage rifles are a bargain and are very accurate right out of the box - I would suggest a Savage Hog Hunter in either .308 or .223. It has Iron sights to tide you over until you can afford a scope to put on it.

If you've never really had the chance to handle a gun and shoot it - I would suggest you go to a range and rent a couple of things for the experience. It may help you make up your mind.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    You mention wanting a "sniper" rifle for your first rifle. I am going to suggest that with no experience shooting you will most likely develop some very bad habits shooting a centerfire rifle first off. Start with a .22LR, learn breathing and coordinating trigger pull along with holding a target. It sounds like you have no shooting friends who can take you shooting to teach you the basics. Make no mistake, shooting basics and learning them properly make all the difference in being able to shoot well. Learning on a 22 LR rifle is the best thing to do as you will most likely not develop flinch, must push, closing your eye in anticipation of the gun going off, jerking the trigger, knuckling the trigger and a whole host of other bad habits. While I am not a personal fan of Red's you might go there and talk to some people about shooting. You can waste a huge amount of time on the internet instead of getting out where people are actually shooting.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Why I'm asking,

On to the question,

Thanks,
    Higgins909

Yes and no. What usually happens is you spend the same amount of money, but shoot a lot more. In some cases, reloading can save you a LOT of money though. I like old guns, the kind you can't buy ammo at walmart for. One of them is chambered in this obscure round that is no longer made except by custom order. A box of 20 would set you back over $100. I reload them for around $4-$6 per 20.

I don't reload shotshells, I have the stuff to do it, but I just don't shoot shotguns much so I never bothered on making some shells. Last time I looked, a box of 100 rds of birdshot was about $25, so it's not an expensive round to buy as is. Rifle ammo will run you a bit more. Other than 5.56 and 7.62, your generally going to be paying around a dollar a round. Reloading can cut that price in half or more, and improve your accuracy to boot.

I highly recommend picking up this book if you plan on reloading. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/1440213968

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom