Texas SOT

Do you shoot with one or both eyes open?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Both eyes open unless there is a magnified optic involved.

My eyes are co-dominant, such that one eye is dominant until I blink it, then dominance switches to the other eye.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For serious target shooting, both eyes open with a non-black (I tend to just use a torn-off corner of a target.) occluder over my non-dominant eye. In those environments, it's generally a good idea to let the non-dominant eye take in as much light as the dominant eye for very good, basic physiological reasons. See Dr. Wong for more information than you can imagine about the best ways to see while in a serious target shooting environment.

For having fun with iron sights on a pistol, usually both eyes open but I might catch myself squinting my left.

For anything with a red dot or 1X scope, both eyes open. For rifles, I might keep both eyes open up to 4X magnification.

For rifles with iron sights, non-dominant eye closed. If I actually shot competitively, I'd change that to both eyes open plus an occluder.

For higher magnification scopes on rifles, I don't pay much attention. I think I tend to close my left but I've often found myself looking through the scope with my right eye and just ignoring all the stuff that's coming into my left eye. My brain didn't work that way when I was a kid; back then I definitely had to close my left eye.

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Dominant eye for targets and scopes, both eyes for self defense and holosight weapon training

Great info. I primarily do defensive and combatives type training. This adds some clarity....no pun intended LOL
    You didn't mention whether you are talking about rifles, shotguns, or pistols. The situation dictates 100 % of the time. Stationary target, fast running deer, fast draw practice, doves flying, snake swimming, home invasion, etc., etc. All require target acquisition, but in different ways.
    Apologies....mostly talking defensive pistol and rifle training. For bird hunting and clays, I always kept both eyes open, but I haven't been doing that type of shooting for the last year or so. This tactical type stuff is still fairly new and a journey for me. Tac Games 2022 hopeful!

Last edited:

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Shooting and moving adds a lot to this IMO....peripheral is a huge advantage and one that can't be had with one eye closed. Try moving off the X to the next phase or place of cover with only your dominant eye. You'll eat shit...ask me how I know LOL

Lots of good info fellas. Much appreciated. This is a good forum with no BS. I can hang that way.

Top Bottom