ARJ Defense ad

Does anyone else pre-load their mags before heading to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you pre-load your mags before going to the range?

• Yes, saves time, and time is money.

Votes: 40 78.4%
    • No, I just load at the bench/booth.

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My 44is always loded,ca'nt never tell when we might get bears in East Texas!

With the influx of Californians and Yankees, that chance is gettin' bigger every day
    default_sSc_hiding2.gif

bears.jpg

default_whack.gif

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    My 44is always loded,ca'nt never tell when we might get bears in East Texas!

Funny you mentioned that. A fellow bow hunter friend that lives in the Jefferson, TX area posted a trail camera pic of a color-phase black bear eating outta one of his feeders.

It’s been quite a few years back when he posted the pic. So I wouldn’t be too surprised to see one in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I often preload a bunch of them before i leave the range. That way they are ready whenever. If however they are not already loaded, and I think about it before leaving home, I will preload them before hitting the road to the range.

ghorman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    Georgetown, TX
    Am I the only one that pre-loads mags before going to the range? I feel like loading at the booth, or bench kind of disturbs my rhythm, and I spend less time shooting because I'm reloading constantly. Yet, I see it every time I go, guys with their maglula, just standing there loading round after round instead of shooting. Shoot for 30 seconds, then spend 2 minutes loading, repeat...

So before I head to the range I usually load 10-20 mags (depending on my goals that trip), and I'm ready to go as soon as I enter the range. I can get in my reps, and I'm out in less than 30-40 minutes.

View attachment 347983
    not sure I have that many mags :)

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    Some, like the Wife's .50AE Desert Eagle, she only has 2 mags for, and with the price of that ammo, they always stay loaded with the same stuff that is self-defense/home-defense (although we'd hate to lose THAT if used in a defensive situation).

Generally I keep loaded mags for the 9mm's and .380's with JHPs, and don't have a boatload, but a substantial supply of, so sometimes I will just take the unloaded mags to the range and use those to load up with FMJ's, PC'd, or Plated for 9mm, as that is what we shoot the most of, mainly reloads, and still have the loaded JHP's to go home with, still-loaded.

For the newer calibers we don't have a boatload of mags for, like the Palmetto PA-10 in .308, I do like to keep some mags loaded, and since it is pretty newish, I am not sure what mags will be reliable, and rotate through them during range trips, to test reliability vs make and model, which will take time.

For the AR's in .223/5.56, I have ample mags to keep some SD/HD mags loaded and use the rest for range use/longevity/mag-spring testing, but I rotate through HD/SD mags to test also, as I have a few more, as of late...

Sometimes, if loaded with plated/PC'd range fodder, I will take and use HD/SD pre-loaded mags to the range (75-90% cap, to not keep springs compressed, I know some are a non-issue, but some manufacturer's springs are made to save money, not longivity).

...So it depends... Once every couple/few years we will rotate, and shoot our crusty/oxidized carry ammo out, depending on carry ammo availability. If it is during a panic, we typically trade/shoot the carry ammo out less often, but clearly THOSE mags are pre-loaded.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I don't get into the whole pink is gay.
    Nothing wrong with the pink Crocs, that said my wife bought me blue ones.

I don't buy all that pink camo crap for my daughters. That can hunt with me in regular hand me down camo like the peasants we are.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

That’s cool that you take your daughters hunting.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    That’s cool that you take your daughters hunting.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...pe=t&link_source=app Daughter's first hunt.

Thanks. It's been some of the coolest times teaching my kids to shoot and now hunt.

Also, to your original question, yes i preload my mags before the range. I'm too cheap to get a mag loader so i split the damage to my thumbs over the span of 2 days.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=16014&share_type=t&link_source=app Daughter's first hunt.

Thanks. It's been some of the coolest times teaching my kids to shoot and now hunt.

Also, to your original question, yes i preload my mags before the range. I'm too cheap to get a mag loader so i split the damage to my thumbs over the span of 2 days.

Damn, you wipe with sand paper too? I tried hand loading my mags when I first came into the hobby, and it was painful. After the second range trip, I got me an uplula. You are a braver person that I am. I almost feel like we need to get a gofundme going to get you a loader

beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    It’s situational. If it’s a spur of the moment trip then I usually won’t. If I’ve planned it out a few days in advance then I’ll preload a few mags for each of my guns.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    If one uses "time is money"when going shooting one has deep issues with working.
    I'll bet sitting on your ass and watching sports is ok though because you managed to make time for that. Pfffffft!

Top Bottom