• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    It's the same thing they said about the last one - the navy ship and the container ship. They were traveling in a congested sea lane. And so.... what?
    I'm not a navy guy but with today's technology (radar, GPS tracking, etc.) and the ability to maneuver those hugh ships on a dime with reverse bow, stern and side thrusters, it just seems inexcusable to me! (Literally asleep at the wheel).
    I saw where the captain and the top two or three other officers were relieved of command - as well they should be. This will effectively end their navy careers.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I thought naval right of way was always given to the starboard side vessel. That was one of the glaring problems with the USS Fitzgerald's collision. If this vessel was struck on the port, aft side - as said in the article - it was probably the other ship's fault. How it could happen is still a bit befuddling though.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    NoKo black ops. LOL (thought I should add that lest someone think I was serious.

Yes, 2 in such a short time is strange and would seen to indicate a deeper problem

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Right of way should be given to the less maneuverable vessel.
    Navy knows this but oftentimes thinks they're just too important to GTFO of the way.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Right of way should be given to the less maneuverable vessel.
    Navy knows this but oftentimes thinks they're just too important to GTFO of the way.

You hit the nail on the head. The navy thinks a 700' long 100' wide 29,000 ton cargo ship should be able to outmaneuver a 500' long 60' wide 9,000 ton destroyer. Not going to happen.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    In both cases our ship was hit darn near broad side, t boned

I'm not buying its an accident and I don't know how these ships keep sneaking up on us like that

no excuse for it

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    As an old boater what i'm seeing is stupid Navy cutting across the bow of the other ships.
    Those huge ships are decieving in their speed.
    The look like they're hardly moving but in reality they're moving quite fast.
    Big tankers take forever to turn as well.
    Dumbass Navy running in front of others.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Those huge ships are decieving in their speed.
    The look like they're hardly moving but in reality they're moving quite fast.
    Big tankers take forever to turn as well.
    Dumbass Navy running in front of others.

But the Navy guys are supposed to know all that.

Any chance someone is hacking navigation or early warning of ours or their ships? Iran hacked GPS and lured a Navy boat into their waters. They got a drone to fly to them the same way. Russia has been playing with GPS spoofing, has the younger generation forgotten how to use their eyeballs instead of technology?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    My guess would be watch is asleep. Lookouts are too busy fucking off and doing who knows what. Easier for command to look the other way than ruffle feathers. This is an all-around issue. From the guys on watch to the guys at the top.

Top Bottom