Venture Surplus ad

Does anyone think the Mexico tariffs are a good idea???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    FoxNews "Grave Error" headlines are telling.
    Please attribute the quote correctly. Fox was quoting: "The Business Roundtable, which consists of chief executive officers of top U.S. companies, called Trump’s planned tariffs “a grave error” and said they would “jeopardize the prospects” of USMCA."

In answer to your overall question, I think the planned tariffs are great. Mexico has been taking advantage of us in so many ways it is time they got their attitude adjusted. Things from Mexico may cost a bit more in return, but I don't care. I don't plan on buying Mexican goods anyway, if I can avoid it.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    That's your opinion, not mine...........

We'll see who is closer to reality.....in good time.....cheers...

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    We expect Mexico, with comparatively meager resources, to do it for us.
    No, we except some help on our southern border sure, but we want Mexico to enforce their own immigration laws and not let their relatively short southern border be unsecured so as to act like a pass thru to the US. The caravans weren't Mexicans, they were mostly from Central America.

For those that don't know, and I am sure there are some here, the United Mexico States is a part of the North American Continent just the the USA & Canada are.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Meh, the OP is being overly dramatic about the negative impacts on the US. We aren’t “f’ing” ourselves. Maybe a mild irritation.

Mexico absolutely can do more. They can put as much effort in to their border security as Trump is putting in to ours.

Are the tariffs a good idea? Will they have a positive effect? I don’t know. I don’t believe they will be a calamity. I do believe that our border situation is terrible and the Dems have been nothing but a roadblock to actions with would be very likely to have positive effects. In light of that fact, Trump is resorting to tariffs.

Now Mr HK, you have posted many times here that the border is just fine. All time low crossings and other nonsense that just plain doesn’t fit any metric of reality. In light of that I find nothing out of the normal in your commentary here.

In general I would prefer not to see tariffs and instead see more deregulation and lower costs of doing business in the US. But in this case I don’t believe Trump has been left with many options. Maybe if the Dems has worked with him on more preferred methods of border security we would t be stuck in this situation.

Also, your retirement is fine. Don’t be so dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m not a fan of tariffs.

But I like how Orange Man is using them as bargaining chips to level the playing field.

Our elected officials have been selling-out US consumers for far too long, including shitty “trade deals” lining their own pockets at our expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Meh, the OP is being overly dramatic about the negative impacts on the US.........Now Mr HK, you have posted many times here that the border is just fine.

Me dramatic?
    Sure.

Border "Just fine"?
    Never.

My drama is fueled by the fact that virtually no one on Trump's side seems to be on Trump's side on this issue.

That, and it struck me as odd that the #1 media story this week was unaddressed on this news forum. I can presume, perhaps erroneously, that most posters here are also wondering WTF our POTUS is up to, as is his inner circle.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Me dramatic?
    Sure.

Border "Just fine"?
    Never.

My drama is fueled by the fact that virtually no one on Trump's side seems to be on Trump's side on this issue.

That, and it struck me as odd that the #1 media story this week was unaddressed on this news forum. I can presume, perhaps erroneously, that most posters here are also wondering WTF.
    Your drama is fueled by your Liberal selfish nature.

Think long term benefits to our country, not short term personal disruptions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Me dramatic?
    Sure.

Border "Just fine"?
    Never.

That, and it struck me as odd that the #1 media story this week was unaddressed on this news forum. I can presume, perhaps erroneously, that most posters here are also wondering WTF our POTUS is up to, as is his inner circle.

The number one media story is often fairly irrelevant to the daily lives of Americans.

Remember when the number one story was a kid who tried to be polite when a man came up and started beating a drum in his face because the kids and his friends had the nerve to drown out the chants of a bunch of antisemites? That was 24/7 coverage shaming the kid.

No, the story is not that big. For most networks they will jump at the chance to frame the story against Trump instead of just passing on the information.

Most people have no idea how tariffs effect them so I don’t buy your statement that “virtually no one on Trumps side seems to be on Trumps side on this issue”. You are just saying things.

I can do it to.

Everyone who is against Trump seems to be on his side on this issue.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    These tarrifs aren't going to help anything. If trump wanted to get Mexico's attention, he would set a tax/tarrif rate of 50% on all the money being sent out of the US to Mexico.

Figures are all over the place, but from what I've seen, we import around 80 billion a year from Mexico, and immigrant workers here send 70 - 150 billion in cash back to their families in Mexico per year. The best fix is, raise prices on them, not us.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    These tarrifs aren't going to help anything. If trump wanted to get Mexico's attention, he would set a tax/tarrif rate of 50% on all the money being sent out of the US to Mexico.

Figures are all over the place, but from what I've seen, we import around 80 billion a year from Mexico, and immigrant workers here send 70 - 150 billion in cash back to their families in Mexico per year. The best fix is, raise prices on them, not us.

I like your idea, but I don’t think the tariffs are completely pointless. The Mexican President is already asking for a meeting so it got their attention.

Trump seems to be a big fan of tariffs though. More so than I would prefer.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I like your idea, but I don’t think the tariffs are completely pointless. The Mexican President is already asking for a meeting so it got their attention.

Trump seems to be a big fan of tariffs though. More so than I would prefer.

Those talks would go a whole lot faster, and a whole lot better if they were actually scared of something more than political posturing. Granted, at least we're doing something instead of nothing, but even if they made 50% profit from the imports we get from them, that pales in comparison to how much cash gets sent their way from workers here. Tarrifs might make life harder on the mexican citizens. Taking half of the money being sent to them would cause a revolt if the government didn't fix it.

Besides, what better way to get them to pay for the wall?

Top Bottom