ARJ Defense ad

Does that James Yeager guy irritate you too?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I I'm There was a breach of protocol he made that held up the line of cars holding them in the kill zone.

Irrelevant - they had nowhere to go anyway. Iraqi vehicles behind them and US Army in front of them...
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know it sounds weird, but you can learn a lot more about shooting well by reading and understanding the principles outlined in The Tao of Jeet Kune Do than you can from most "Experts" I've seen, and that book has absolutely nothing to do with guns.

Not weird at all. There is a hell of a lot a person can learn in spending some time learning how to learn, and learning a bit of philosophy on how to approach things, how to look at them, and how to really be fully self-aware about what you are doing. I believe Bruce had much to say on that subject.

IMO, merely going through the motions doesn't mean nearly as much or have nearly the effect if it's lacking in that depth of context and depth of thought.

I'm a nobody, but I think about this stuff a LOT. Personally, I've made it a point in my own personal training to try and surround myself with the most competent and highest quality people I can, better people than myself. I have learned a hell of a lot more simply from taking note how they conduct themselves, things they do, things they do not do, the way they approach things, etc. than I have from learning the basic mechanics of shooting in a well-structured class.

People like Yeager could have the most well-structured and most effective course plan in the world. They could even have a proven student track record like Tom Givens of Rangemaster in TN, with a list of tons of students that survived and thrived as a result of their training. At the end of the day, it's all kind of bullshit if that same person is failing at simple critical thought and making some bad choices like, oh I don't know, risking people's lives to get a freaking cool action picture in class. If you want excellence, surround yourself with excellent people. Also, those truly excellent people do not want nor need the hero worship to continue being excellent, despite the fact they are often very deserving of it. The ones that want it, or posture themselves to receive it (in your face loudmouths) are the ones I'd avoid, even if they have something to bring to the table, as there are often other underlying issues there as well.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    These are from his class. Notice in the second picture, you can see smoke from the gun being fired, so it's not like they're just doing dry runs.

james-yeager-photographer-down-range-shooting_zps4c1a9405.jpg

James-Yeager-Tactical-Response-Photographer-Down-Range-Shooting_zps123f2273.jpg

He was in the military and he lets his range get that filthy? I understand not picking up brass at a normal range. Hell, my favorite range is hard to see the dirt in. But making your students lie their backs on that mess seems lazy, unprofessional, and thoughtlessly inconsiderate.

Also, that berm looks inadequate for the angle they are shooting.

Last edited:

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I don't believe he was in military. My understanding (which could be wrong) was he was swat/Leo and then took a job as a civilian contractor. My apologies if I'm mistaken.

When I saw Yaeger at SHOT, I looked forward to talking with him. My opinion of him has always been: a) he's knowledgable, yet abrasive. b) I don't care about what happened in the gun battle/stalled car, etc. Since I have never served my country, been Leo, or was there personally, I don't feel I have a right to comment about folks who've BTDT. c) the camera men down range bug me more than anything, but I don't blame him as much as the idiot who would knowingly take those pics.

Yaeger was def abrasive in person, but in a funny way. I honestly thought he was a nice guy. People judge, myself included.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Man of few words.

He's the new Alpha male. In your face! Tattoos! Look! Tattoos!

SWEARING!

Dark shorts with aggressive patterns and graphics!

Who's your YouToober of choice then Moonpie?

I see you as a Hickok45 man.

Don't really have a Youtube fav.
    Hickok45 is enjoyable. He shoots for the fun of it. I do wish he was a bit more technical on some of the iron he gets to play with.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    That video has been out for years. This is nothing new. Like I said, most of the "characters" in this industry all have some sort of colorful past in one manner or another. Sometimes those individuals learn from those things, use them to better themselves, and extract some meaningful value from past mistakes. How a person deals with mistakes, failures, etc. is crucial. If the response is deflection, excuses, shifting blame, etc., that's certainly one direction and it demonstrates a lot about a person's character and decision making skills.

One well-known character is on video discussing how he was geared up and in the car heading to shoot up his PD and kill as many people as possible (God told him to stop, so he did...). Another one that's been very successful, never been in a gunfight, teaches all about gunfighting and what you will and will not be able to do in a gunfight...apparently at one time got fed up, grabbed a student's gun, and threw it downrange. Another instructor, not so well known on the net, but with a paper qualifications list a mile long and 30+ years in LE has negligently shot himself I believe multiple times, has students aim their guns at him to check their sight alignment, etc. One I personally know is almost a stolen valor case as he likes to frequently throw terms like "NSW" around (I think he was a SeaBee), tricking the average uninformed person into thinking he was a SEAL without actually saying it. That particular guy has barely competent female pistol shooters taking aerial marksmanship classes with M4's out of the back of a helicopter, and apparently no one involved sees the huge potential for that short ride to the ground. All of these things are, again, great insight into people's character and decision making skills.

Travis, I thought I read your FB comment that from now on you were naming people/ trainers? I hope I'm not being too sensitive, but I find the way you mention Gabe's testimony on becoming a Christian offensive.

There was a time when TGT had no problem cashing his endorsement check. There were no issues with me donating spots to classes I teach for Gabe's company to assist Alan. At one point, you even asked about how you could become a staff instructor.

At the end of the day none of this really matters, but those that know me understand I don't mince words and wanted to get this off my chest. There will always be detractors and I'm good with that.

In an industry that is ever changing the weekend fantasy camps are off the table for many. Working with SI all of my 2013 courses sold out and now in 2014 my first course of the year, which is over a month away has sold out. I am blessed to be on such a winning team especially in a time where trainers much more well known than I are canceling courses due to a lack of enrollments. While I can't please everyone my student retention is over 90% and I'm very pleased about that.

Good luck with your training company. Instead of looking at what everyone else is doing look within. I'm sure you'll get better results.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And then?

I found Gabe Suarez when i got a Sig 556. Him and SI seem to be the place to go for info on these guns.

Who would win a fist fight between Yeager and Suarez? Yeager has more tattoos and would win the pre-fight trash talking.

Without Life there can be no Liberty.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    One well-known character is on video discussing how he was geared up and in the car heading to shoot up his PD and kill as many people as possible (God told him to stop, so he did...)

Travis, who is that well known character?

Here's an excerpt from your Facebook post with the bad words taken out.

As an industry member, albeit neither a prominent nor influential one, I want to develop a new culture. I want to develop a culture of naming and shaming people who sell dangerous ideas, promote dangerous products, or otherwise package bull--, hokum and nonsense as "Truth" for mass consumption. I embrace a culture of higher standards, and transparency."

"When bull-- is pushed, no one should be too big to name, shame and take down."

"Everyone should be accountable (including those who cry "unfair" and "unethical" when their favorite Jim Jones gets skewered. Those people, and their sacred cows and small gods, are holding us all back and endangering lives). To h--with diplomatic words: Name them. Shame them. Demand better. Everyone put on their big girl panties, and deal with it. We'd all be better off in the end."

So, who is it?

Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Travis, I thought I read your FB comment that from now on you were naming people/ trainers? I hope I'm not being too sensitive, but I find the way you mention Gabe's testimony on becoming a Christian offensive.

I merely stated the facts and what was stated on video. People can decide to do with that info whatever they want.

There was a time when TGT had no problem cashing his endorsement check. There were no issues with me donating spots to classes I teach for Gabe's company to assist Alan. At one point, you even asked about how you could become a staff instructor.

My relationship with this site has often been confused. Although the site was originally my idea and I helped get it off the ground and build it, I was never an owner. I never made a single penny off of any of those checks. Honestly, I didn't know much about Gabe until a few years ago and never did much research into him, which would have probably been about the time I would have asked you some questions about SI instructor certs. It wasn't until roughly ~2011-2012 sometime that I really started researching a number of instructors' backgrounds quite a bit more thoroughly, after some personal experiences with a company local to me owned by a former Navy guy that I eventually realized was a SEAL poser and fraud. After that experience, it really made me want to be a bit more choosy about who I deal with.

At the end of the day none of this really matters, but those that know me understand I don't mince words and wanted to get this off my chest. There will always be detractors a I'm good with that.

In an industry that is ever changing the weekend fantasy camps are off the table for many. Working with SI all of my 2013 courses sold out and now in 2014 my first course of the year, which is over a month away has sold out. I am blessed to be on such a winning team especially in a time where trainers much more well known than I are canceling courses due to a lack of enrollments. While I can't please everyone my student retention is over 90% and I'm very pleased about that.

Good luck with your training company. Instead of looking at what everyone else is doing look within. I'm sure you'll get better results.

I never really said anything to do with success at business. No doubt SI has been very successful. That's not really what I'm speaking to. Yeager is pretty damn successful too. So is Pincus. I don't like any of them either, and it doesn't have to do with their success.

As far as me, I'm doing exactly that. My business, Dillo, I've shut down and I have come to realize I really have no interest in focusing time/effort in to building a brand/image, but rather in getting back to putting more emphasis into my own personal training (which has suffered the past couple of years with trying to build a business). I will probably still teach some small private classes here and there, as I do have interest in continuing to build my teaching skills, but I feel the last 2 years have taken their toll and I have some serious work to do on myself before I feel comfortable putting more of a focus back on instructing. I don't say that lightly, considering except for some help with a few initial things, I built that business ENTIRELY from the ground up myself, branding, graphics, business relationships, scheduling, course design, etc. It sucks taking that all down, but it's the right thing to do to maintain the personal standard I want to maintain.

Jon, I like you, I really do, and have always thought you're a great guy. I mean that and am not being sarcastic. I just do not like Gabe Suarez. I don't like James Yeager either, Sonny Puzikas (actually seems like a good dude, just don't like his practices or serious safety issues) nor Rob Pincus (guy is a master wordsmith and deep thinker for sure, just hasn't had enough friends willing to tell him when he's dead wrong or he sucks apparently, plus his "used car salesman" tactics are ridiculous: home video "counter ambush training course"...seriously?!), and probably several others whose names escape me right now. Those are my own personal opinions based on my own experiences and research. People can take it or leave it however they want.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    What's your beef with Gabe

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

no beef really, just thing his cult of personality is far more intense then yeagers. if you merely question him or show any sign of not being in line with the SI doctrine, you're off the island (or warrior talk)... since everyone's trashing yeager, maybe i could add a spice to the convo.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Top Bottom