APOD Firearms

Does that James Yeager guy irritate you too?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The point Sig brings up about personality cults is spot on. Whenever you surround yourself with a cadre of "yes men" eventually you will die choking on a sandwich on the toilet like Elvis or get someone shot or poorly trained.

We all need our egos checked from time to time. I have no beef with Yeager or Suarez but i dont have any irrational affection for them either. (Gabes foot soldiers...dont kick me off WT!)

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Since I take way too many words to say what can usually be boiled down to fairly simple statements, I'll say what I was ultimately getting at. Currently, the vast majority of customer base in the industry buy MARKETING. It's what sells. I think people would be a lot better off not caring about marketing and being "entertained", but rather focusing on CHARACTER.

I'm an idealist, and I realize this will probably never be the case, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. Some of my favorite instructors, some that I've trained with and others that I haven't yet, have hardly any presence or "name" in the industry (at least "name" in a public consumer sense), yet are/were absolute leaders in their respective areas. It's really unfortunate that they don't get more recognition simply because they don't care to focus all of their time and energy on the hard sell and used car salesman pitches, or because they may not have the coolest company logo in the room.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I have never met Suarez, but I conduct due diligence on people I consider training with or who I see advertise a bit.

Anyone heard of gabe suarez? Read this before taking defense classes......

he publicly threatened to kill a guy who dared to disagree with him.

No he didn't, I was there for the entire saga between Gabe and Swampdragon. Paraphrased Gabe stated any gun guru who wanted to test himself against our "games" could meet him in Colombia and they'd only need one ticket back. The individual that started that trash lied saying that he was personally threatened and ran with it. It became a forum against forum feud. T
    he OP is till at WT.

He plead to fraud charges; Gabe Saurez Pleads Out On Fraud Charges - The Firing Line Forums

Yes, he plead guilty and served his sentence for a misdemeanor.

Anyone can do further research. I won't spend my money with him.
    ​I am sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Really? We all judge all of the time. Should the consumer NOT judge who to train with? Would you spout that about a child rapist? "Oh don't judge the child molester"

It would be stupid for a person to NOT judge people to train under.

Right. Judging, discerning and condemning are all different things.

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So your saying you liked him better when he started Tactical Response, he was over weight, had hair, small beard and no tattoos or tight shirts?

No, because I interacted with him over the net in those days and he was a douche back then, too.

Do you really judge a book by its cover?

How a person chooses to present himself to the world can tell the world a lot about that person.

In short, yes. Because you usually can.

I mean you don't technically know him personally, and we all know drama sells. Because even those who say they are drama free still feed into it and that's all his videos are.Once you understand that it will make your frustrations easier to understand.If he didn't have the little drama/cockyness.His videos wouldn't be any more entertaining to watch then say hickok45 or Sootch...

Little drama? Little cockiness? LOL.

What's wrong with Hickok45s videos? They're extremely entertaining. Far more so than Yeager's. Also way more informative...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Judge not, lest ye be judged.

I'm judged many times a day at work based on my attitude, how I present myself and the quality of my work. If my doing the same thing my customers, potential customers and employers do to me to Yeager offends anybody, I suggest those individuals get their heads out and spend some time in the real world for a month, minimum. It should prove highly illuminating.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    At Shot Show? I saw him there too
    1098173_742336742445440_910648467_n.jpg

He was in a good mood and joking around.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My business, Dillo, I've shut down and I have come to realize I really have no interest in focusing time/effort in to building a brand/image, but rather in getting back to putting more emphasis into my own personal training
    This is a bit off topic, but this is exactly why franchises are a popular business model. Does anyone besides SI provide franchises in the firearms training industry?

Back on topic...
    That automatically makes me nervous. All my life, the executives that did the most damage were the ones who had the largest, most fawning entourages.

He's in a business where technical knowledge and good sense go a long way. Yet, his success seems based on a deliberately cultivated cult of personality.

That's as much as I need to know to make a decision to avoid him, his teachings, and his publicity machine.
    I agree; big time. Developing that cult of personality is great marketing, but is a red flag to me. Typically it means the person is substituting attitude/bravado for skill and knowledge.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    ​I am sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to meeting you.

I read the thread. He threatened to kill the guy. That is exactly what he meant.

I know you are buddies with him, and I do not think ANY of this applies to you in ANY manner. I hope you don't see this as an attack on you at all.

And wasn't his charge a felony, and he took a plea down to misdemeanor?

I bit my tongue on this topic for a long time. There are just too many trainers available who do not have such a character and background for me to even consider training with him.

But I am NOBODY. Just a guy with an opinion.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is a bit off topic, but this is exactly why franchises are a popular business model. Does anyone besides SI provide franchises in the firearms training industry?

Not that I know of. It is a bit of a unique industry in that, to do it properly, I think it is incredibly difficult to use a franchise-based model while upholding acceptable standards. I'm speaking in terms of more than just a business sense, as you can franchise just about anything in any industry and be successful with it, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee the product or service is "good". To do so would require some very serious oversight in an industry where you have people that will argue vehemently to the grave on how to or how not to press a damn slide release lever. Just like with the NRA, the quality of instructors out there teaching under the NRA banner varies as widely as is possible as a result of there being nearly no quality control. When I renewed my NRA Basic Pistol Instructor cert, I was able to renew online for ~$17 and it's good until 2017 IIRC. That was pretty ridiculous IMO, and an excellent example of what I'm talking about. There's also the fact that it's a relatively niche industry with a relatively small market compared to most. The NRA could do it, and do it successfully, but again, the big issue would be maintaining standards.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I read the thread. He threatened to kill the guy. That is exactly what he meant.

I know you are buddies with him, and I do not think ANY of this applies to you in ANY manner. I hope you don't see this as an attack on you at all.

And wasn't his charge a felony, and he took a plea down to misdemeanor?

I bit my tongue on this topic for a long time. There are just too many trainers available who do not have such a character and background for me to even consider training with him.

But I am NOBODY. Just a guy with an opinion.

He even extended that into an open invitation to kill any naysayer who steps to him.

Classy dude right there.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    He even extended that into an open invitation to kill any naysayer who steps to him.

Classy dude right there.

gs.jpg

"Mindet without skill is just mental jacking off...an easier game to play perhaps. The private you are talking about either had the physical skills or was up agains fools. I will bet you it was the first one. You need the skills to back up the mindset or else you will simply die nobly, albeit with a good mind set.

What skills are needed? Read the article again as it stipulates exactly what you need as well as where to get it.

And any gun guru out there that wants to test himself against our "games", I can arrange a plane ride to a remote place in Colombia where we can play it for real with whatever guns he wants to use. We will only need one ticket back."

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    View attachment 26364

"Mindet without skill is just mental jacking off...an easier game to play perhaps. The private you are talking about either had the physical skills or was up agains fools. I will bet you it was the first one. You need the skills to back up the mindset or else you will simply die nobly, albeit with a good mind set.

What skills are needed? Read the article again as it stipulates exactly what you need as well as where to get it.

And any gun guru out there that wants to test himself against our "games", I can arrange a plane ride to a remote place in Colombia where we can play it for real with whatever guns he wants to use. We will only need one ticket back."

The thing about having people on your ignore list is you still see what they write when others quote them lol.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Not trying to start shit I just figured I wasn't the only one wondering what the hell was said. So I used my Googlefu.

I mean if y'all are going to talk about whether or not someone may have made death threats tell us what they said lol.

sent from the bathroom

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    On a side note James Yeager would be very upset this thread isn't about him anymore.

sent from the bathroom

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom