• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No shit, people who bitch about the ammo situation were just too stupid to stock up before all this happened and are pissed at what they're having to pay.

Or....they've actually SHOT their guns.....<G> Dude, you have ANY idea how much ammo a .22 gatlin' gun can chew up in one session?!??lol!
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks TXR for a informative post with no attacks or accusations.
    Honestly, the name calling and bitching from both sides is getting real old, real quick.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I don't buy at inflated prices, but I also know that if I have to its because of a lack of planning on my part. I get the frustration, but the part of the message that irks me is the "criminal" part. If it was a little more toned down I think it would have gone over better.

The market is teaching us a lesson. We should listen.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Or....they've actually SHOT their guns.....<G> Dude, you have ANY idea how much ammo a .22 gatlin' gun can chew up in one session?!??lol!

Pretty much. Lots of us 'lazy and stupid' people had rotation, very frequent. The issue is it wasn't deep enough to cover a now 4-5mth dry cycle per that frequency & cost.

So I do have a question that nobody ever ponies up an answer too, what is your reserve stash and minimum on hand round count? You name callers, are you going as frequently and are burning through the same round counts at the range? Since the rest of us are too stupid and lazy, how about a detailed account of your supply protocol?

I should say we are not without. I'm one of those lazy and stupid people bitchin' about no supply from the suppliers, but I'm having to cut back on range days, a lot. In my hey day I'm going to the range once a week and taking a minimum of two guns and 100rds each. That's just me. My husband burns more per session than I do. Two people going through 500rds in an hour or two in a week...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I don't buy at inflated prices, but I also know that if I have to its because of a lack of planning on my part. I get the frustration, but the part of the message that irks me is the "criminal" part. If it was a little more toned down I think it would have gone over better.

The market is teaching us a lesson. We should listen.

You're correct and I agree, it isn't "criminal" and that is off base.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Or just think of paying the 'flippers' for getting out of bed and standing in line on your behalf. You're paying them for the 'convenience' of sleeping in.

The flippers are not providing me a service that wasn't already being provided. The resellers are in my way. Not only do I have to pay a higher price but I have to wait a damn week for shipping.

Resellers are interfering with my normal rotation, schedule and life without offering a benefit above and beyond 'normal'.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Can't wait til this happens with food or medicine and everyone thinks they have a right to your property at a price they deem "reasonable."

People should take this as a lesson for the future and have some foresight. Right now with guns and ammo its only an inconvenience, but it could be much worse.

Well said, and what should be a eye opening thought for everyone.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Shorts I wasn't prepared well enough either. My shooting has dropped significantly.

My new goal is to have a minimum 6 months worth of reserve on hand and then a regular rotation above that. Of course, I probably shoot less than you do so that may be more achievable. I plan on lots more .22 in the future as well, and some .22 conversions. I'm sure my plan is not unique by any means, and I won't achieve it until prices come back down more.

All I'm saying is that we should learn from this, and that I don't blame others who thought ahead or have a better market position. I predict these wild swings will become a more regular occurrence as these legislative fights heat up across the states and as more people become more active shooters. As prices come down we should be stocking more than we used to to hedge against the market swings.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Shorts I wasn't prepared well enough either. My shooting has dropped significantly.

My new goal is to have a minimum 6 months worth of reserve on hand and then a regular rotation above that. Of course, I probably shoot less than you do so that may be more achievable. I plan on lots more .22 in the future as well, and some .22 conversions. I'm sure my plan is not unique by any means, and I won't achieve it until prices come back down more.

All I'm saying is that we should learn from this, and that I don't blame others who thought ahead or have a better market position. I predict these wild swings will become a more regular occurrence as these legislative fights heat up across the states and as more people become more active shooters. As prices come down we should be stocking more than we used to to hedge against the market swings.

No you're right. I think everyone is getting a lesson.

We came back to the States in Feb 2009 after a few years overseas without firearms. We walked right into the first Obama-induced shortage. We had no choice. We couldn't prepare before hand. Since then we've had to work up until now. I think a few things changed since 2009 for us. We had to re-establish a US life, a home, vehicles, jobs, hobbies, etc. Overall the biggest factor on our perspectives about things we do? Politics and the awful leadership we have. I think going to prepper-like status is the only way to take care of ourselves from the market/outside forces of the household. This thing we are in now, it's tipping the scales for us.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I may have been a bit harsh in my earlier post. I hadn't had breakfast yet and was reading yet another ammo post started by a guy who has made three comments in the last year, ignored all of the similar already established threads and characterizes people who are reselling as criminals. That set me off.

I wasn't prepared in 2008 when the last run on ammo occurred but I sure was this time. I'll never let that happen again. Admittedly, my family's rifle and pistol shooting time has fallen off somewhat due to the ammo market being where it is but we have all shown vast improvements in our trap/skeet shooting because shotgun shells have continued to be widely available during the shortage. You've got to work with that you've got.

I don't think you'll find very many people who will list an inventory of ammo they have on hand on an online forum. I won't. I will however provide you with my method of procurement via PM if requested.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I may have been a bit harsh in my earlier post. I hadn't had breakfast yet and was reading yet another ammo post started by a guy who has made three comments in the last year, ignored all of the similar already established threads and characterizes people who are reselling as criminals. That set me off.

I wasn't prepared in 2008 when the last run on ammo occurred but I sure was this time. I'll never let that happen again. Admittedly, my family's rifle and pistol shooting time has fallen off somewhat due to the ammo market being where it is but we have all shown vast improvements in our trap/skeet shooting because shotgun shells have continued to be widely available during the shortage. You've got to work with that you've got.

I don't think you'll find very many people who will list an inventory of ammo they have on hand on an online forum. I won't. I will however provide you with my method of procurement via PM if requested.

Drink your coffee before logging in please. :p

I don't expect anyone to post their round counts. It was more of rhetorical question & demand to get my point across.

Good point about trap/skeet work. Shells are falling off the shelves at the stores. While the market is crazy in one area, move to another area and work on skills there.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle

Ive never had the pleasure of shooting a 22 gatlin gun but it sure sounds like fun.

My point is people shouldve learned from 08. If you shoot that much you should have had enough to make it through a years worth of shooting so you could make it through the price gouging times. If you cant afford to stock up with that much ammo at one time well that sucks but thats life but to come on here and piss and moan because you were caught unprepared is just plane stupid. I bet the same people bitching about high prices are the same ones that enjoy the other benefits of our capitalist society. Gotta take the good with the bad. Ive got a pretty damn good stock of everything I shoot but Ive stopped shooting nearly as much as its much harder to replace at a decent price. Hell I went to the SA range meet Saturday and only brought a box of 45 to try out some of the guys 1911s. I couldve easily busted off a few thousand rounds of 22 but Id rather have it for later on once I get my suppressors. Its my own fault for not getting more 22 so Id feel more comfortable plinking. No big deal, Im not going to die because I cant shoot 22 and Ill let the tards on gunbroker pay ridiculous prices for it. The market will correct itself eventually and when it does I load up.

Unless you have shoot for a living youve got no one to blame but yourself for not being prepared. The night Obama was re-elected I placed a couple large orders to make sure I was taken care of for quite some time. The rush on the firearms industry started before sandy hook and just got worse after it. So if you werent sharp enough to get your poop in a group prior to all the madness then thats on you.

The only people I truly feel sorry for are the kids who arent getting to go out and plink with their 22s and enjoy shooting. I gave my neighbor a brick or 22 so his kids could continue to shoot. Its not their fault their father didnt listen to me or pay attention to the market.

The handwriting was on the wall months ago, you just had to read it...

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think this argument gets overly heated.

The "government regulation" comments aggravate the hell out of me because buyers are part of the market.

I could have been better prepared. I burned through a lot of my ammo at a range day with the plan to result afterwords. That was a mistake. After the crap went down I thought I would have time to get primers. Wrong. A couple weeks later primers were gone just like the ammo.

I wasn't lazy, I was ignorant(by the real definition). When O took office I shot some .22 and went hunting, by the time sandy hook happened I was burning 500-1000 rnds a week. I thought reloading would buffer me from the impact but I was hit just the same.

Now I have cut WAY back on my shooting and buy ammo when I find it at what I consider to be a reasonable price. I get to academy early when I can and my job lets me stop by academy on the days they get a truck in.

I still have not bought any ammo at a panic price because I refuse to encourage the selling of ammo at that price. I pick up a box at a time of whatever caliber I find and throw it in the cabinet. I no longer shoot my ARs and the UZI is collecting dust. I try to run a mag through my carry gun once a week to keep in practice.

No, I'm not a fan of the "flippers". It is their right to do what they are doing and I believe it will continue until gun owners are no longer willing to pay those prices.

Until the supply catches up with demand they will have their market. Supply will not catch up until people are comfortable with their stockpiles again and as long as ammo is hard to find its hard to be comfortable with what you have on hand.

It's ugly times and many of us have learned our lessons. Once things settle down I plan to order as many components as I get get for each caliber. I'm sure there are many many others wanting to do the same thing which will continue to strain the supply.

I see it being a very long time before thing really settle down and there is nothing I can do about it but wait and get what I can when I find it for a price I'm willing to pay.

Now I have to rest my thumbs.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Pretty much. Lots of us 'lazy and stupid' people had rotation, very frequent. The issue is it wasn't deep enough to cover a now 4-5mth dry cycle per that frequency & cost.
    So I do have a question that nobody ever ponies up an answer too, what is your reserve stash and minimum on hand round count? You name callers, are you going as frequently and are burning through the same round counts at the range? Since the rest of us are too stupid and lazy, how about a detailed account of your supply protocol?
    I should say we are not without. I'm one of those lazy and stupid people bitchin' about no supply from the suppliers, but I'm having to cut back on range days, a lot. In my hey day I'm going to the range once a week and taking a minimum of two guns and 100rds each. That's just me. My husband burns more per session than I do. Two people going through 500rds in an hour or two in a week...

LOTS of good lessons in the above - this ain't settin' you up as an example, because 90% of the folks out there are in the same boat. Lemme go bit by bit here....

Reserve stash? In 45's, about 5k rounds. .380, about 2k, 9mm about 1k, .38 about 2k, .357 maybe 1k. Please note - those are LOADED rounds, some factory, some roll yer own.

Components? Primers, bullets and powder - enough to reload all the above a minimum of 4 times each. My reorder point on primers is @ 5k primers, powder @ 8 lbs, bullets @ 2k (each caliber/size). When I reorder, it's to replenish stocks to be able to reload to the 5X level.

I figure if I run out with that kinda reserve, it's beyond time to have already figured an alternative supply source.

Shorts - in your case...obviously, the above wouldn't be enough to get you through w/your normal average loading. I'd be looking to have enough components on hand to reload a minimum of 6 months worth of average consumption, with a reorder point when you have 2 months consumption on hand - but reorder for 6 months worth.

When this all hit, I took a look at my inventory, and placed a number of smaller orders on various components. Most were backordered (and still are), but the difference is that they were meant to "bump" what I had on hand to a higher inventory level, so I'm not even close to be worried about running out at this point, and given the easing of the supply problems I'm seeing, I'm expecting stuff to be arriving any day.

So, yeah...tossing/calling names on this stuff is counter-productive, folks - we're all in this together - let's act like it.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    If we all ask the same old price, I suppose that will send the message loud and clear. I dont hesitate to ask them infact i did get couple of good deals too since a lot of them were innocent noobs who got stuck in the chaos and bought up at a bad price with their CC's or loans and now need some cash seriously.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The only people I truly feel sorry for are the kids who arent getting to go out and plink with their 22s and enjoy shooting. I gave my neighbor a brick or 22 so his kids could continue to shoot. Its not their fault their father didnt listen to me or pay attention to the market.

^^^^^^
    THIS

Got a somewhat desparate call from our NRA Field Rep the other day....state-wide youth event going on this weekend, and they were SUPPOSED to shoot some .22's......but no ammo to be found, and their sponsor had forgotten to send it to 'em. Thanks to Winchster's generosity (dude - buying AND shipping 1k rounds and refusing any reimbursement was WAY above and beyond) and my little hoarded stockpile, I'll be delivering 2,500 rounds to 'em Thursday. It ALMOST got into my "back-up" stash - and frankly, they'd have done without before that would've happened, because that's a reserve that I won't touch unless I HAVE to.

Since then, I've been able to find more .22 ammo, and it's on the way - not in time for this weekend, but we're good there - but even my depleted stocks are getting MUCH more beefed up. There was NO excuse for me not having at least 5k rounds of .22 on hand.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Sorry, but I'm one of those who says "You should have seen it coming and acted accordingly!" Suppliers knew this ammo was drying up. Shelf inventories were getting spotty on .22LR and you should have been buying. In 2012, primers were getting scarce so you should have been buying. Shotgun reloading hulls and primers were getting scarce and you should have been buying. A guy on another site laughed at me because I bought STS 12 gauge hulls at 10 cents each. I only know of ONE place to buy them, now and 10 cents is a bargain! I'm reloading and shooting.....he's not.

Right now, Academy has a line of "Estate" shotgun shells that are plentiful. At my present clay pigeon skill level, I miss a lot. I didn't want to use my hand crafted reloads for my learning experience so I began buying the "Estate" shells. The "Dove & Quail" loads have gone from $4.99 to $6.39 recently but the "Dove" loads are still at $4.99. It isn't rocket science to tell what the next price increase and shortage will be! Hell, 12 gauge shells are just about all that's available right now. 20ga and 410 are dried up and all that ARE available are $14-$15 per box. So what's coming next in the arena of shortages? (Hint...12 gauge field loads). Every week, I buy 10 more boxes. Is that "hoarding?" Hell, no! It's reading the market and acting accordingly!

This is April. You should be gathering your hunting ammo for fall hunting right now. When September comes, folks will be whining about how unfair it is to not have ammo for their hunts. Demand is low, now....buy.

You snooze.....you lose.

EDIT
    I just went into the sites for my only remaining sources for STS hulls and Figure 8 wads in 12 gauge. All of it is out of stock. It didn't catch me by surprise because I stocked up. Now that reloading for shotguns is shutting off, what will happen to the cheap Academy field loads? Think then act! I'm going back to Academy as soon as I finish lunch.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom