• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    yeah, like I said, it's humbling to say the least. It was funny though, I was there by myself & all of a sudden............I started to get nervous, I was like, "what the hell???

Really enjoyed it, and hope to do it more often when ever I go to the range....printed out about 100 copies, so I aint got no excuse.
    Hurley's Gold

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well, I finally got a chance to sneak out to the range for a little while this morning. Worked up the nerve to try the DOT TORTURE DRILL!!!! This is an appropriate name for this drill, it is torture. Never tried anything of this nature before, all I can say is it's truly a humbling (for me anyway) experience. For my 1st times shooting this drill, I actually did way better than I was expecting.........but it's still perty shitty.....heh! I did the drill with my EDC @ 3 yards, then for fun shot it a 2nd time with a .22 @ 5 yards. Look forward to shooting it again in the future...needless to say, I have a lot of work to do.
    View attachment 32297 View attachment 32298

Not bad Greg! You had some good strings in there.

You were shooting your carry gun too, so good on you for that.

I've got this drill, the FAST drill, some drills with movement and going to get a 6" steel plate soon. I'll have all kinds of ways to get frustrated. Might as well start golfing.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Not bad Greg! You had some good strings in there.

You were shooting your carry gun too, so good on you for that.

I've got this drill, the FAST drill, some drills with movement and going to get a 6" steel plate soon. I'll have all kinds of ways to get frustrated. Might as well start golfing.

thanks Bigun, it's a work in progress. I did notice that I found myself trying to "look over" my sights after every shot to see where I was actually hitting instead of keeping a good focus on my front sight and just completing the drill. If that makes any sense. May have done a bit better if I just focused on the front sight and ran the drill, then looked at how I had done. Definitely gives me something to work towards. Got a link to that FAST drill?

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    thanks Bigun, it's a work in progress. I did notice that I found myself trying to "look over" my sights after every shot to see where I was actually hitting instead of keeping a good focus on my front sight and just completing the drill. If that makes any sense. May have done a bit better if I just focused on the front sight and ran the drill, then looked at how I had done. Definitely gives me something to work towards. Got a link to that FAST drill?
    I think I have a thread on it in this subforum

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I was at the range sighting in the red/green dot I have on my 22/45 and decided to do an impromptu Dot Torture test with the Glock 22. I only had 38 rounds with me, so I made a few adjustments and this is how I did. This was my first time shooting the Glock in quite a while and first time I have ever tried the Dot Torture.

I only fired 36 rounds because I confused myself on 9 and 10 and ejected 2 rounds, one I caught, the other flew down range. Only 19 hits. Harder than I thought!

DSC_0053_zpstkpooncd.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsdjjjxmag.jpg

DSC_0056_zps6yt7yifc.jpg

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was at the range sighting in the red/green dot I have on my 22/45 and decided to do an impromptu Dot Torture test with the Glock 22. I only had 38 rounds with me, so I made a few adjustments and this is how I did. This was my first time shooting the Glock in quite a while and first time I have ever tried the Dot Torture.

I only fired 36 rounds because I confused myself on 9 and 10 and ejected 2 rounds, one I caught, the other flew down range. Only 19 hits. Harder than I thought!

DSC_0053_zpstkpooncd.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsdjjjxmag.jpg

DSC_0056_zps6yt7yifc.jpg

Shoot that drill with the 22/45 mayne!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I hate to be obtuse (OT, really) but somebody mentioned a dot drill where you draw and fire five at a two-inch circle five yards away. Repeat five more times for a total of thirty rounds. Passing score is thirty hits.

Can anybody point me to where that drill was discussed? I'm intrigued.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hate to be obtuse (OT, really) but somebody mentioned a dot drill where you draw and fire five at a two-inch circle five yards away. Repeat five more times for a total of thirty rounds. Passing score is thirty hits.

Hmmmm. Might have been one StevenC discussed? These are 2" circles and you can shoot it at 5 yards but it is 50 rounds.

Ben why you messing around with 2" at 5 yards? Sounds like you'd ace that.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    No, that is the Frank Garcia dot drill that Ben Stoeger likes so very much.

It has been posted as shot at 7 yards. Draw and fired five shots at a 2" circle with a 5 second par time (actually a 5.30 second "hard" limit). Repeat on each of six 2" targets. It's a total of 36 shots.

I have Ben screen capped as saying most GMs would need a bucket of bullets to complete this once (36 for 36 hitting a 2" circle at 7 yards with each of 5 shots in 5 second... 6 times in a row)

Humbled the shit out of me.

http://www.benstoeger.com/index.php/gallery/23-second-category/90-the-dots

Last edited:

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    Max Michel has a similar drill shot at 10 yards:

Max Michel:
    My #1 drill to improve accuracy is the “Speed Dots.” At signal, draw and engage the 3" dot with 5 rounds within the par time. Repeat for a total of 4 strings and 20 rounds.

Distance: 10 yds
    Dot Size: 3″
    Par Time: 3.5 seconds
    Start Position: Gun Holstered
    Techniques Trained: Draw, Sight Alignment/Sight Picture, Trigger Control and Recoil Management.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio

See above.

I mentioned to BreakingContact a practice I shot where I had six 3" circles at 7 yards. I was shooting to see how quickly I could maintain hits in the 3" circle. I fired on shot per circle so it was transition heavy.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The drill I've practiced most over the years is from low ready with one hand. At the signal, raise the pistol and put one shot on a 4" dot at 25 meters. 1.1 seconds is considered good, 1.3 the minimum acceptable. Repeat successfully 12 times in a row.

When you can pass that test, you add 4 more shots at 4 more dots a meter apart. Hard limit for 5 hits out of 5 is 4.0 seconds.

I have never come close to passing but every 4 years, I like to watch on TV as the people who can do this demonstrate their skills to the world.

:)

ETA - Seriously, guys, I appreciate the info. Any variation of a simple "draw and shoot the dot" drill really does intrigue me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom