• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, my GF was in a wreck yesterday, she was stopped at a light & got rear ended, she was not hurt.

Anyway, the officer asked everybody in both vehicles (2 girls each car) for their DL??

Why is this?
    Gun Zone Deals

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Checking for warrants and could have gotten and easy pick. Don't think that passengers were very smart since I do not believe that you have to if a passenger. I would have asked for a supervisor and kept my license in my wallet. Claim your rights on the spot and give your name as that is all that is required by law. Also, when in an accident you should ALWAYS ask for medical assistance since they make awesome witnesses in court if your getting hassled by the poe-poe.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Checking for warrants and could have gotten and easy pick. Don't think that passengers were very smart since I do not believe that you have to if a passenger. I would have asked for a supervisor and kept my license in my wallet. Claim your rights on the spot and give your name as that is all that is required by law. Also, when in an accident you should ALWAYS ask for medical assistance since they make awesome witnesses in court if your getting hassled by the poe-poe.

No you would not. Jesus H Christ. And by the way, if you have to give your name you have to give your DOB and address. And an officer is under no obligation to call a supervisor because you ask for one.

It was a traffic accident and the officer was documenting it.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No. The passengers are witnesses, and if he didn't blue for them, the state accident report calls for that information.

Again, people who have no idea about what the job on police officer entails.....

He asked for licenses because they are witnesses?

wut?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Glad no one was hurt Cam.......

as to your question........not the foggiest....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's blanks on the accident investigation form an officer is required to fill out. It's the main legal documents insurance companies use. It's gotta be detailed.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I wonder if a bus gets in a wreck, do they ask all 48 people on board for their license?

They too are passengers & witnesses.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So, my GF was in a wreck yesterday, she was stopped at a light & got rear ended, she was not hurt.

Anyway, the officer asked everybody in both vehicles (2 girls each car) for their DL??

Why is this?

Witnesses to a potential crime. The non-drivers though did not have to give ID, just verbal name, address, dob.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    No you would not. Jesus H Christ. And by the way, if you have to give your name you have to give your DOB and address. And an officer is under no obligation to call a supervisor because you ask for one.

It was a traffic accident and the officer was documenting it.

Why get so upset? Citizens have the right to ask for a super to make sure everything is going as it should especially when the officer is asking for extra information from the passengers. It isn't about policy its about the rights of the citizen. There are so many threads that can be pointed to about how stupid the regular person is and they are called "sheople". But then when they exercise their rights and ask questions , AFTER the officer starts to get into their personal info (ID's) you get upset?

It is pointed out that the officer is always on the job so when contact is made the regular citizen should be too.

The part that has been marked in bold is one I should know and don't. I will dig it out and see if it is true or not.

You're correct the officer doesn't have to do anything the citizen asks for but I think its a good idea to ask for one after the officer starts to get into a full investigation during a simple accident. At least it should be recorded on the dash cam to help the citizen if things move forward.

Top Bottom