• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I agree, I am sure if the passengers wanted to push the issue, the LEO would have been fine with name and phone number.

The ID just makes filling out the report easy. He has all the info right in front of him when he is back in his car sitting and writing.
    DK Firearms

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The ID just makes filling out the report easy. He has all the info right in front of him when he is back in his car sitting and writing.

And correct, I suspect, in the case of someone thinking about lying about who they are.

However, my point was that if one of the passengers would have made a federal case out of handing over ID, I am sure the officer would have just took a name and number and moved on. Who honestly has any time for that back and forth over a fender bender?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Citizens have the right to ask for a super to make sure everything is going as it should especially when the officer is asking for extra information from the passengers. It isn't about policy its about the rights of the citizen.

Please show me where the "right to call a police supervisor" is enshrined. I'm not able to find that documented anywhere.

I'm betting you didn't actually mean 'right,' even though you think you did.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    The passenger in the other car asked the officer "why", & he asked "do you even have a DL"....
    I imagine he asked for DLs because he didn't want to say: "driver - may I see your driver's license. Passenger - may I see some form of ID please?"

He's just making life simple for himself.

And as a CHL holder, when asked for ID, we have to show CHL too. I would be willing to bet a judge would rule that if an officer asked for a "DL", and you were passenger, and didn't show CHL, you would be in some trouble.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And as a CHL holder, when asked for ID, we have to show CHL too. I would be willing to bet a judge would rule that if an officer asked for a "DL", and you were passenger, and didn't show CHL, you would be in some trouble.

No, the penalty for this was removed.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Penalty was removed and it was admin penalty on 1st offense, not arrestable or criminal, so no judge.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Please show me where the "right to call a police supervisor" is enshrined. I'm not able to find that documented anywhere.

I'm betting you didn't actually mean 'right,' even though you think you did.
    They have the right to ask for whatever they want. Whether or not it's sensical or they'll get it is another thing :laughing:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    It also helps cut down on insurance fraud. Someone not listed on the report won't be able to claim they were in the car after the fact.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    And correct, I suspect, in the case of someone thinking about lying about who they are.

However, my point was that if one of the passengers would have made a federal case out of handing over ID, I am sure the officer would have just took a name and number and moved on. Who honestly has any time for that back and forth over a fender bender?

Agreed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No. The passengers are witnesses, and if he didn't blue for them, the state accident report calls for that information.

Again, people who have no idea about what the job on police officer entails.....

Still wanting to know what this means, or was it a typo?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Still wanting to know what this means, or was it a typo?

He meant "blue form."

• Driver's Crash Report (CR-2) (Blue Form)
    This report is completed by a driver involved in a traffic crash when the crash is not investigated by a law enforcement officer and apparent damage is $1,000 or more or when the crash resulted in injury or death.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It also helps cut down on insurance fraud. Someone not listed on the report won't be able to claim they were in the car after the fact.

^ Deserves not to be ignored.

Both wife and daughter have been involved, separately, in this type of scam in the past two years.
    Damned insurance company (USAA) bends over and takes it in the ash as a matter of convenience, to them.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Just don't even call the cops for a minor accident. They don't want to go there anyway. Get off the road, don't just leave your cars sitting there. Get insurance information, take a lot of pictures of the damage, and fill out a crash report online.

Collisions

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Witnesses to a potential crime. The non-drivers though did not have to give ID, just verbal name, address, dob.

There's no crime unless the other driver was intoxicated, hit and run, or didn't have insurance.

There is no reason for passengers to provide id. Come on now.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    There's no crime unless the other driver was intoxicated, hit and run, or didn't have insurance.

There is no reason for passengers to provide id. Come on now.

Or ran a stop sign. Or failed to control speed. Or any other traffic violation.

Or they were a victim in the crash, injured or not. As others have said, it's a spot on the form. See for yourself.

Top Bottom