• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    I was checking in with the officer at the Fair and she asked for my driver's license also. She told me that my CHL was no good without my DL also. I wanted to tell her that she was full of hooey, but I didn't want the hassle after paying to get the whole family into the fair. I've never read it in the handbook, but what do the experts say?

Edit: I think I found what she was talking about. $411.205
    Guns International

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    She is wrong. You are under ZERO obligation to show anyone your DL other than LE if they ask you to ID yourself. In fact, you do not need a DL to obtain a CHL. A Texas ID card will do

EDIT: I missed the fact that it was an officer. Your CHL is not "invalid" without your DL, but technically if an officer asks you to ID you must show both. Make sense?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Interesting question Willy. Since I have both licenses I'm unaffected BUT, what if you don't drive and have no need for a DL? Is a DL required to get the CHL? (BTW: I think 2nd answer is a no)

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

ETA: 2min to late

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Some jurisdictions will accept a TX CHL at face value, but not many.

A prerequisite is to have a TXDL or TXID.

A United States Passport also suffices.

But no ID required to vote.

What is wrong with that?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

If a resident CHL is carrying a firearm, he/she must have their TXID or TXDL with them..

A non-resident CHL must have a State issued ID/DL from their home State of residence.

While it doesn't invalidate the CHL (it is still a valid CHL), a person would be in violation of State statute w/o the ID/DL....

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I never really thought about that but yeah, I guess so. As soon as my CHL came in it went behind my DL in a windowed wallet pocket. They stay together.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I guess I need to put my DL and my CHL in my pocket when I walk the dogs at night.

If you want to, but in reality the penalty for violating that rule was removed long ago. If you choose not to show your DL with your CHL (or your CHL with your DL) there is absolutely nothing that can happen to you.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you want to, but in reality the penalty for violating that rule was removed long ago. If you choose not to show your DL with your CHL (or your CHL with your DL) there is absolutely nothing that can happen to you.

Folks just remember, if you carry without your CHL in your possession you violate 46.02.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    OK, If you want to kick the subject around on TGT that's one thing. If you're going to debate the law with a LEO during a traffic stop or when the LEO requests your ID, you are simply going to lose. It's Like we used to say in the Texas prison system when an Offender bucked the rules......."I'll find a way to make you unhappy." The LEO that you buck will do the same.

We had another response in the prisons that might be worth sharing....."Why don't you just march up to the Warden's office and tell him how you feel about that!" In the lockup, the Warden is GOD! Jack with the Warden and he will put you under the jail for the remainder of your sentence.

For the few minutes that an LEO has you in ID mode, he has that power over you. Buck him and he WILL find a way to make you unhappy. It's best to go with the flow and do as you're asked to do.

Flash

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    OK, If you want to kick the subject around on TGT that's one thing. If you're going to debate the law with a LEO during a traffic stop or when the LEO requests your ID, you are simply going to lose. It's Like we used to say in the Texas prison system when an Offender bucked the rules......."I'll find a way to make you unhappy." The LEO that you buck will do the same.

We had another response in the prisons that might be worth sharing....."Why don't you just march up to the Warden's office and tell him how you feel about that!" In the lockup, the Warden is GOD! Jack with the Warden and he will put you under the jail for the remainder of your sentence.

For the few minutes that an LEO has you in ID mode, he has that power over you. Buck him and he WILL find a way to make you unhappy. It's best to go with the flow and do as you're asked to do.

Flash

True. Surprisingly, that's a hard concept for some on this forum.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    The walking the dogs comment got me thinking... Who carries their CHL separate from their TDL?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I know that I'm a n00b around here, and this is only my humble opinion.....

Why would we not do, what we are required? It would seem to me, that we should be professional and stand up folks while carrying (and at all times for that matter). How we conduct ourselves in public and with law enforcement reflects on all CHL's.....

and no, it doesn't change what Bithabus posted as being technically true......

Again, jmho....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I never really thought about that but yeah, I guess so. As soon as my CHL came in it went behind my DL in a windowed wallet pocket. They stay together.

Is it true you put your Victoria's Secret frequent shopper card behind those?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom