Ducks for Meat and Eggs.

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by matefrio, Mar 2, 2017.

1. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

What's hatching?
    10 Khaki Campbell Ducks
    Moved just under a year ago from city to rural. Long dream of mine and the wife's. We took this time to ease into things getting to know the area, house and land. So this is the 2nd "Farm" animal\s we're getting.

Goal with all our livestock choices is an easy to raise and care for breed that produces what we like to eat and that we can break even with by selling or trading the extra they produce.

Choice was made to go with ducks because they seem to be easier than chickens according to just about everyone we've talked with and the resources we've researched.

Found a local breeder of Khaki Campbells via Craigslist she hatches her own and agreed to pop out 10 of them for me.

Why 10? Well our family averages about 4 eggs a day. The 10 are a straight run so may include male and female. I hope to get at least 4 females and if the rest are male then we'll meat locker all but one of the males.

I'm using this as my feed plan: http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?CustID=2395322

Here's my setup so far. I need to a bit more to do tonight and I pick them up tomorrow. I've been monitoring the temp of the brooder for 12 hours now and things are looking good.

[​IMG]

Pic from the breeder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Watch where you step.

3. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Man after heart surgery duck is wayyyyy off limits

4. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My wife likes duck meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Duck eggs are great eating. That reminds me. I'm out. About time for another run to Dan's and get a few dozen.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

6. GUNNER51

GUNNER51 Member

Feb 23, 2017
    TOMBALL
    Dear sirs and madams,

Ducks are GREAT for eating! They are TERRIBLE as pets though. My daughter used to raise them and they are LOUD and STINKY! They disappeared every now and then and we blamed it on feral cats! HAHA!

I have been meaning to start raising them again for the eggs especially, but it is a lot of work and I do not get around like I used to!

Thanks kindly,
    GUNNER51

7. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

I tried the family with duck eggs before this. We got free muscovy eggs for over a month from a friend who didn't like them. Everyone thought they tasted just like chicken eggs at this house.

Baking with them was amazing. Pancakes were so fluffy they almost floated off the pan.

Cooking the duck eggs we learned they do need a lower longer heat. Try and cook them scrambled, omelet or sunny side up at the same pace as chicken eggs and you'll get more rubbery eggs.

8. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    Where are you located/

I love the taste of duck!

9. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    matefrio,

You may also want to look at KEETS. = EASY to raise, do well on "pasture" with little supplemental feeding much of the year (thus CHEAP to raise), GREAT EATING meat/eggs & GREAT "watchdogs", too.

yours, satx

10. Double Naught Spy

Double Naught Spy Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    We have a friend that trades duck eggs to us. They are wonderful for baking and such, VERY flavorful.