• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Uh, the dialing to 11 started with you. Calm down or go somewhere else. I hear Indiana is nice. Seriously, we don't need another holy war (this time over various theoretical hunting ethics) that has to be added to the rules.

As for the post I'm replying to, consider this - Pointing out your myopic and mistaken take on the way someone else phrased a post is NOT an apology and you still owe one to everyone in this thread.
    Wish I had kept up with this thread. Since you have stepped in I feel it would be inappropriate to call out the pure, unadulterated asshattery that was occurring in it. Probably a good thing. ;)

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    These guys have decided to make an appearance. These are the first time I've seen pigs on the camera and I'm surprised they came out during the hottest part of the day.
    7969952569de4c0100cad1e88c131e44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    These guys have decided to make an appearance. These are the first time I've seen pigs on the camera and I'm surprised they came out during the hottest part of the day.

Well. By all means don’t bait them to make eradicating them more efficient. Probably should not set up a corral trap either. You may offend a yankee.

That was sarcasm. Make them good pigs by any method that is legal.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX

When I bought my place back in 2003 there was no sign of hogs anywhere on the property. Now I kill about 75 hogs/yr including trapping, and I've only got 70 acres. They are good table fare, but I won't clean one this time of year. Pork has a tendency to spoil real quick in hot temperatures.

Good luck with the hogs. They provide some great entertainment.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Heyyaaaaaa,

The ones in the 50-90 lb range make great carnitas. But like the other guy noted, clean it quick and get it on ice.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I bought my place back in 2003 there was no sign of hogs anywhere on the property. Now I kill about 75 hogs/yr including trapping, and I've only got 70 acres. They are good table fare, but I won't clean one this time of year. Pork has a tendency to spoil real quick in hot temperatures.

I have to way older friends who trapped hogs-year round making an extra $30k each until they got to old to do it!

Most of their sales were to Asian restaurant owners from Dallas Fort Worth. They are in Palestine. When they caught big boar hogs they went to local high fence hunting operations.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Just do a zip and rip where they lay to get the back straps. Makes them easier for the vultures and coyotes to rip them open as well.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    The first three pigs I got in my yard were during the day. Now they're all at night, but I had to install a motion detecting flood light. It is entertaining.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston

75 a year is pretty darn good. What type of trap setup are you running?

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    75 a year is pretty darn good. What type of trap setup are you running?

I built a corral style trap about 30 feet in diameter. It's tear drop shaped to help with loading. 4" x 4" holes in the wire panels. Any bigger and the small ones will escape. Also added an extra strand of barbed wire above the 5' tall panels (because some WILL jump over a 5 foot fence). I built the trap gate myself out of angle iron and wire panels. The most I ever caught in my trap at one time was 19. I put the trap in the woods in a shady area and buried a water trough in it. Most all the hogs I butcher come out of the trap. That way I can feed and water them in the trap, and pick a convenient time to process them.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    You might want to read my original post again.

This is what I wrote.
    "Took the range finder out and scouted some potential shooting areas to setup a 200 yard range for sighting in rifles."

I have no idea how you equate me setting up a range to site in rifles to shooting domesticated animals.

I apologize for jumping to that conclusion after not reading your post closely enough. I'll admit I only skimmed through it and didn't re read it as I should have instead of asking about it.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    The first three pigs I got in my yard were during the day. Now they're all at night, but I had to install a motion detecting flood light. It is entertaining.
    I've got a motion sensitive green hunting light. I've probable killed 200 hogs under it at night.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Finally got the truck in from El Paso. Turned out to be in much better shape than anticipated, TXDOT left the maintenance log in the console and looks like they handled the brunt of the 6.0 powerstroke issues. I still plan on bulletproofing the motor but so far its running good.

Picked up my dad and drove to the property to check the feeders, move the game cam to a new spot and drop off a 60" Swisher pull behind mower I got to keep the trails maintained.
    1204b3cb05d22057bec2790895021166.jpg

I found a place in La that will deliver 16 tons of railroad ballast for $950. I have no idea if thats a good price or not but its seemed reasonable to me. The road to camp right now consists about 400 yards of ruts. Does anyone know of an aggregate supplier in the Jasper area?
    a317288a2c43911d2e98e517041d80a3.jpg

Took the range finder out and scouted some potential shooting areas to setup a 200 yard range for sighting in rifles.

Did they say how many truck loads? Dumptrucks or belly dumps?

A normal dump truck should get ya about 40' x 8'w x 6" deep. That railroad rock will make a good base. You'll need to put some smaller stuff on top of it to finish it off...when you get a chance.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

A normal dump truck should get ya about 40' x 8'w x 6" deep. That railroad rock will make a good base. You'll need to put some smaller stuff on top of it to finish it off...when you get a chance.
    You are only figuring 6 yds for a dump truck?

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston

It was one load from a dump truck with a 15 yard dump body. I had to work yesterday, so had to postpone delivery.

I found a readymix plant thats a bit closer and a lot cheaper that has washout material available for $15 per ton. They wont deliver, so that means I have to find transport, which is turning out to be more difficult than I thought.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    I've got a motion sensitive green hunting light. I've probable killed 200 hogs under it at night.
    I started with a red hunting light and got several pigs. I got every one I shot at, but it was difficult to notice when the light was on. A friend told me the white light doesn't bother the animals and it is easier for us to notice there is something in our yard. He was right. Also better looking through the scope.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom