Entertainment for inmates? E-tablets planned for Travis jail

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by AustinN4, Apr 6, 2017.

1. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Entertainment for inmates? E-tablets planned for Travis jail
    METRO-STATE By Tony Plohetski - American-Statesman Staff, KVUE News
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/ent...anned-for-travis-jail/vPtIYx6NcX5E8PZuSQoEHK/

Travis County Sheriff Sally Hernandez and her staff at the jail have a new tool to inspire inmates to obey the rules and help pass the long days behind bars: They’re planning to soon begin handing out electronic tablets, similar to iPads, with an array of entertainment options.

As much as I dislike her, in fairness, the decision was made before she took office.

2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

By all means, provide the unfortunate individuals with more entertainment.
    Can't wait till someone hacks them....

3. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good plan. We wouldn't want the inmates to have to suffer.

4. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Maybe they will learn a new skill, like how to hijack your bank account via the web.

5. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    yeah give them shank making materials.

6. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Another way to look at this is that there are quite a few people in county lock up that can not afford bail and in fact may not be guilty of what they were arrested for( and you are assumed to be innocent until proven guilty)

I agree that convicted, incarcerated inmates should have as miserable experience as possible so as to act as a deterrent from going back, but unconvicted people who are awaiting trial should get some leeway if their behavior warrants it.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Sucker MC TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Cibolo
    It seems keep the kids on the outside docile and ineffectual, perhaps it'll have the same effect on inmates. Who's got time for shankin' when there are Kardasshians to keep up with? :p

8. BRD@66

BRD@66 Well-Known

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    What could possibly go worng?

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My cousin was falsely accused of molesting a 9 year old very troubled boy. My cousin ran a martial arts studio and he took on troubled kids, low income family kids, and worked with other handicapped children. This kid had been rejected by every non-government program because of how badly he acted out. He was a mess. When my cousin told this kid's parents that he could no longer work with the kid because of how out of control he was, the kid made an immediate outcry against him. Even though this kid had made like allegations against others in the past and then recanted, the McClennan County DA filed charges based solely on the outcry of this kid. There was zero evidence.

My cousin was arrested and charged with a felony and spent 3 months in the county jail before the kid recanted. My cousin lost his business, his wife left him, and his home was foreclosed on. Heaven forbid that innocent man have a way to pass the time while falsely incarcerated.

Also, when inmates have privileges that can be taken away, it motivates better, safer behavior.

10. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That sucks for him but doesn't justify the purchase to me.

Plus, the inmates already had the privilege of not being in jail to motivate them and it didn't work.

I get that keeping them busy keeps them out of trouble but think it is bullshit that they are gaining perks that many law abiding citizens don't get to enjoy.