• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Got to thinking about how much we all rely on the Internet and decided I need a radio setup of some kind. I don't think I want to go off the deep end on this investment but I like the thought of being able to setup something at the farm, my girls place and mine. The farm is out by lake Granger and has some grade to it across the 70+ acres. My place is out in Leander which is roughly 40 miles away, my GF's is in Pflugerville which is probably only 25 or 30 miles from the farm.

We have starlink out there but I'd like an old school back up. I read another thread that was similar from June this year. Lots of good info there. A decade or two ago I had a GMRS/FRS license. Thinking about getting one again. It would be great to know the best frequencies for information as well as knowing how to contact members on this forum. I'm ready to invest although I'd like to keep it all under $500 per location.

As I get a bit older(only 45 now) I realize that in a real bad scenario our greatest assets are each other. This will probably not be an everyday hobby but I'd like to know where to start and have realistic expectations and advice. A friend bought me a baofeng years ago but I need to look up the model and buy a fresh battery for it. Maybe even get a small faraday cage for the hell of it. Anyhow I know we have some legitimate radio operators here and I appreciate the input.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Your best option is to get your ham radio license(s). While GMRS will cover your family, it limits you to one band to operate in. UHF is not the best in some terrain.

Having your ham ticket gives you so many more options as far as band and mode of operation (AM, FM, SSB, CW, and various other digital modes). Plus you’ll learn something about how radio works so that if and when things happen you’ll have more realistic expectations.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Got to thinking about how much we all rely on the Internet and decided I need a radio setup of some kind. I don't think I want to go off the deep end on this investment but I like the thought of being able to setup something at the farm, my girls place and mine. The farm is out by lake Granger and has some grade to it across the 70+ acres. My place is out in Leander which is roughly 40 miles away, my GF's is in Pflugerville which is probably only 25 or 30 miles from the farm.

We have starlink out there but I'd like an old school back up. I read another thread that was similar from June this year. Lots of good info there. A decade or two ago I had a GMRS/FRS license. Thinking about getting one again. It would be great to know the best frequencies for information as well as knowing how to contact members on this forum. I'm ready to invest although I'd like to keep it all under $500 per location.

As I get a bit older(only 45 now) I realize that in a real bad scenario our greatest assets are each other. This will probably not be an everyday hobby but I'd like to know where to start and have realistic expectations and advice. A friend bought me a baofeng years ago but I need to look up the model and buy a fresh battery for it. Maybe even get a small faraday cage for the hell of it. Anyhow I know we have some legitimate radio operators here and I appreciate the input.
    Get a Ham Radio License. I've had one for 45 years and a Commercial radio license. Our local club (I'm trustee) covers several counties and we are a growing community and we are building both Ham Radio sites and also SMRS/FRS repeaters sites. Yes, it is important.

It is easy to get a license, find a local club they can tell you where and when exams are given. Our club is only about 3 years old but we have put together a good group. The Morse code is not required to get started.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Ham license is best option (I got my license back in '97). If you already have a Baofeng from a few years ago, chances are it's a model UV-5 or one of the close variants. A programming cable is VERY helpful to set frequencies and add alpha-numeric labels to the channels you program in.
    You'll also want to get an external antenna since the built-in antennas on those HT's won't reach but a few miles, unless you have a repeater close by.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Making a 40 mile QSO on 75cm or 2 meter simplex is gonna be sketchy.

Look up mygmrs.com and see if there is a repeater or in the area

If the repeater has off grid back up power even better

A HAM Technician license will get you 2 meter/440 and some limited 10 meter.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Making a 40 mile QSO on 75cm or 2 meter simplex is gonna be sketchy.

Look up mygmrs.com and see if there is a repeater or in the area

If the repeater has off grid back up power even better

A HAM Technician license will get you 2 meter/440 and some limited 10 meter.
    When we started out local club, I was the only Extra. Now we have several and they have technical background to go with it. Even some of the very young hams hold licenses for the HF bands. And one of the older ladies has her Extra. She did it in a very short time. Put the right people together and a lot can get done.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    When we started out local club, I was the only Extra. Now we have several and they have technical background to go with it. Even some of the very young hams hold licenses for the HF bands. And one of the older ladies has her Extra. She did it in a very short time. Put the right people together and a lot can get done.
    Yep.
    I'm a General Class HAM- W5TWA
    But I don't use HF hardly

I mainly talk with local friends on 2m/440 simplex and repeater and I spend time talking digital mostly YSF

also have GMRS Call for the family

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Yep.
    I'm a General Class HAM- W5TWA
    But I don't use HF hardly

I mainly talk with local friends on 2m/440 simplex and repeater and I spend time talking digital mostly YSF

also have GMRS Call for the family
    I started on HF when I was living in NM. 2 meters came later for me. My favorite band is 15 meters. When it is open almost no power is necessary for good QSO.

And I am a builder. Lots of my friends in NM were engineers, techs and physicists. Built my first PC in 1982. Have not always been out on the edge of technology, but am still competent on the way things work. Software defined radio is a totally new concept for me. Bought some of the equipment, but have not had the time to get into that. I'm not impressed with the sensitivity and the selectivity of them, but they do amazing things in spite of it.

Digital RF systems are intended to be controlled by gate keepers. Analog RF does not depend upon that. CW, the first digital radio still goes through when nothing else works.

AA5OI

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I started on HF when I was living in NM. 2 meters came later for me. My favorite band is 15 meters. When it is open almost no power is necessary for good QSO.

And I am a builder. Lots of my friends in NM were engineers, techs and physicists. Built my first PC in 1982. Have not always been out on the edge of technology, but am still competent on the way things work. Software defined radio is a totally new concept for me. Bought some of the equipment, but have not had the time to get into that. I'm not impressed with the sensitivity and the selectivity of them, but they do amazing things in spite of it.

Digital RF systems are intended to be controlled by gate keepers. Analog RF does not depend upon that. CW, the first digital radio still goes through when nothing else works.

AA5OI
    Good for you.
    Sounds like you're into it and enjoy it.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Good for you.
    Sounds like you're into it and enjoy it.
    I've had lapses over time. Spent 20 years taking care of sick or elderly family. Did not have much time for a hobby. But am back into building stuff. Lost my son 9 years ago, my wife of 47 years in 2018. Married again 3 years ago. Am starting over at now 76.

There are still things I want to do. And more battles to fight.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

AA5OI
    I got my Technician License in 2012 when that capability was needed in the TN State Guard.
    The limited range of VHF communications led to obtaining a General and then Extra License about a year later. I frequently used 2 meter for State Guard and local use for several years.
    While I still use VHF some, I primarily use one to four HF bands a day. There are several good on line test preparation sites as well as many good local amateur radio clubs to help you obtain a license.

AK4SZ

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Now that the HAMs on TGT have told everyone about our qualifications and capabilities, and accomplishments maybe spend some time offering help to OPs question?
    :roflfunny:

OP...after sleeping on it I think that maybe a more powerful radio at each location with the right antenna could work for direct communication on GMRS

That band allows up to 50 watts .
    You could buy a Beofang Mobil radio and use it as a base station
    It would require a good 12v power supply.
    Depending on what you have to work with, an antenna like a Comet GP 3 up on a 20 foot pole outside the house with this radio could reach if the other location had the same set up.
    It should stay under your budget also.
    I am assuming that this radio model has the GMRS band open like the Beofang hand held radios do.

At my cabin I have a similar set up with a different brand radio.

I have a push up pole antenna base and a Comet GP 1 about 25 feet up and I can connect to other stations 50 miles away most of the time.

Pull up Google earth and pindrop your locations you want to have comms for and see how far apart they are in a straight line and look and see what the elevation changes are between them and also take note of any terrain that might be in between them

Take a look and let us know so we can give more input.

1000019666.jpg

Here is a picture of what a basic push up pole antenna mount is.
    It telescopes up and is fully adjustable
    I got mine free from house that used it for UHF TV
    They are everywhere so I'm not saying you have to go out and buy a new one for each location
    Just showing you what they are and how they work.

1000019667.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Got to thinking about how much we all rely on the Internet and decided I need a radio setup of some kind.

As I get a bit older(only 45 now) I realize that in a real bad scenario our greatest assets are each other.
    As others have mentioned, if there's any interest whatsoever in building a usable setup it is worth getting your ham license. That will let you legally practice on air, so you'll know when you need it that your gear is not only operational but you will know its true capabilities. IMHO getting access to the HF bands and setting up some type of antenna that works decently there is the appropriate SHTF radio. When things go sideways you don't want to be shut down because some nefarious actors took out the repeater. With HF you can communicate directly over long distances. A measured spool of wire can be a perfectly suitable antenna too.

Software defined radio is a totally new concept for me. Bought some of the equipment, but have not had the time to get into that. I'm not impressed with the sensitivity and the selectivity of them, but they do amazing things in spite of it.

AA5OI
    Sage advice here. I love SDR, but it will (likely) never match the performance of a tuned analog circuit. What you gain in versatility you give up in sensitivity. I have a HackRF-One, and it is sure a lot of fun, but it's darned near deaf.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

How far can I talk with a particular radio?
    I began in radio with a simple goal for a radio to accomplish my communication needs. There are many variables affecting the range of VHF, GMRS and HF radios. I've had communications to states on the East coast using 5 watts and other times when I couldn't communicate across Texas using the legal power limit I began searching for a radio that would provide for my desired application. I now have 'several' radios, antennas and amps and will likely add more to further expand the capabilities and overcome limitations of communications.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Assuming OP gets a tech license, Yaesu has a 80 watt 2 meter FM mobile rig for less than $200. That along with a small 3 or 4 element Yagi antenna is nothing to sneeze at for comms at 40 miles. Getting the ham radio license certainly presents more options.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    With your ham license, a good 2m mobile set up as a base and decent antenna up about 30’, or more, may provide what you need at each site. I’d stay away from the Chinese knockoffs for this application. If you need more directivity than an Omnidirectional antenna, there are some simple 3 element yagi’s that can be built from copper pipe that have a direct connection without an impedance matching network. They can be rotated by a small TV antenna rotator.

Plus you may have a repeater situated where you can use it from those three different sites.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Assuming OP gets a tech license, Yaesu has a 80 watt 2 meter FM mobile rig for less than $200. That along with a small 3 or 4 element Yagi antenna is nothing to sneeze at for comms at 40 miles. Getting the ham radio license certainly presents more options.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    The Yaesu won't let him talk on GMRS frequencies though
    Just something to consider

I love Yaesu..I have 5 of them
    But I also have several Beofang chinesuem radios for GMRS

Top Bottom