APOD Firearms

Eurika! I have found body armor for big boys!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A few plus size guys like myself have been looking for body armor designed for big guys. It's been a struggle as military surplus 2XL and larger items are not to be found.

I found a place near SA that specializes in out of date LEO vests and they DO have vests to fit guys who have exhausted their quota of sprinkle donuts. The price was nearly $400. The vests are beyond their certification dates and can't be used by LEO's. Still, that's all I could find.

Then I located this outfit and ordered this vest with two level 3 plates which includes rifle rounds:

AR500 Armor Urban Go Plate Carrier Package - Black

This carrier includes 2 level 3 plates, a carrier that is expandable to 54-56" waist and a pouch kit that includes a right hand holster, AR mag pouches and pistol mag pouches.

Other carriers and armor that are available but not for a BIG guy. This is the only one that I've found.

That carrier and plates is heavy and not concealable so I also got a soft armor panel a while back. That panel is level 3A for up to a 44 magnum.

Their carrier for the soft armor is inexpensive ($40)

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-emergency-personal-carrier-epc.html

The soft armor panel is pretty expensive at $130 but it is very light and with the carrier, is concealable.

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...t-armor-iiia-backpack-armor.html#.UxVEtYV7nIU

I don't shop for hurricane supplies because I WANT a hurricane to hit. I stay prepared because when I am prepared, nothing happens.

This has been the end of over a year of searching. I FOUND IT!

Flash
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Guy, you do know you can just buy brand new law enforcement quality vest online in your size? The first is just a clamshell hard plate carrier and the second will not be "concealable" in the same manner police vests are. When you add everything up and throw in the fact that the vest are past their cert date, and likely several generations old, I'm thinking you may not be getting such a good deal. You will have to pay more for oversized vests but you can get them and they should be the same quality as any other vests.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    New vests were running about $800 in LEO configuration. Can't do that. I got fixed up with level 3 hard plate armor and 3A soft armor for $200 shipped...........for all of it! Frankly, I got tired of fooling with the shopping and still not having a solution in hand. It's done now and I have no regrets. If things go well, I'll never need any of it. If things go badly..............well, you know.

I did not buy the out of date equipment. I bought brand new stuff. The soft armor is very interesting! Putting one of the soft panels in your kid's backpack is a terrific idea. They also fit well in a briefcase! Check out the range tests on their site.

Name of the expired LEO vest vendor.......... Sorry, I can't recall but I searched "expired LEO bullet proof vests" or similar words to find it. Caution....There are two types of construction materials in the LEO vests. One deteriorates with age and the other does not. Check it out carefully!

Flash

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Oh, I get it. Sorry a little slow on the uptake. You can get LE quality for about 500 depending on your size but I do get that it isn't cheap. The plates won't go bad so your good on that and if it's just in a SHTF situation I do get it. I would be concerned about the concealability and the fact it's only covering one direction in the soft carrier but in an emergency anything is better than nothing. Now using the panel in a bag or pack is a great idea and the price is pretty reasonable.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We're on the same page, now! The hard plate vest is only for SHTF at home. The soft armor may hit the street with me depending upon where I go. The other factor from my perspective is that I had NOTHING before this and, God willing, this equipment will never be called into play.

I thought that slipping a soft armor pad into a kid's backpack then training him/her to hunker down, back to a wall and using the backpack as a shield was a splendid idea! The price is minimal but it could save a kid's life.

I believe in doing all that I can in advance. After that, it's in God's hands and with lady luck.
    Either way.......It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

To clarify one of my previous posts, I had ordered a steel armor plate previously for $65. The carrier people took one plate OUT of the carrier that I bought because I could use the one I already had. So I bought the carrier with one plate, the pouch set and the soft pad carrier (already had that soft armor pad) for $200. It gets cheaper if you delete the pouch set. That knocks off another $40.

Cheapest, you get the carrier and two steel plates for about $170.

Flash

Last edited:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    A few plus size guys like myself have been looking for body armor designed for big guys. It's been a struggle as military surplus 2XL and larger items are not to be found.

I found a place near SA that specializes in out of date LEO vests and they DO have vests to fit guys who have exhausted their quota of sprinkle donuts. The price was nearly $400. The vests are beyond their certification dates and can't be used by LEO's. Still, that's all I could find.

Then I located this outfit and ordered this vest with two level 3 plates which includes rifle rounds:

AR500 Armor Urban Go Plate Carrier Package - Black

This carrier includes 2 level 3 plates, a carrier that is expandable to 54-56" waist and a pouch kit that includes a right hand holster, AR mag pouches and pistol mag pouches.

Other carriers and armor that are available but not for a BIG guy. This is the only one that I've found.

That carrier and plates is heavy and not concealable so I also got a soft armor panel a while back. That panel is level 3A for up to a 44 magnum.

Their carrier for the soft armor is inexpensive ($40)

AR500 Armor® Emergency Personal Carrier (EPC)

The soft armor panel is pretty expensive at $130 but it is very light and with the carrier, is concealable.

AR500 Armor Carbon Nanotube Backpack Armor

I don't shop for hurricane supplies because I WANT a hurricane to hit. I stay prepared because when I am prepared, nothing happens.

This has been the end of over a year of searching. I FOUND IT!

Flash

Not to be rude, but, I mean, if you're already... uh... plus sized, why would you want heavy steel plates to add to mobility problems?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Not to be rude, but, I mean, if you're already... uh... plus sized, why would you want heavy steel plates to add to mobility problems?

I think you missed the point.
    Some people run.
    Some people hide.
    Some people will be found dead in a large mound of fired brass.

Flash

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around

I was a firefighter and was the same size I am now with no problems a chest rig would be way lighter than bunker gear/tools/hose

not to mention at one time I lost 60 pounds had 20'' arms and still had a 54'' chest. What if I get a wild hair in my ass to get that way again? most chest rigs still wont fit me.

Maybe you should shut your mouth, or go hang at Arfcom since they like to say the same BS

Last edited:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    probably because it is even harder to move when you got holes in ya and are leaking all over the place...

Fair enough point

I think you missed the point.
    Some people run.
    Some people hide.
    Some people will be found dead in a large mound of fired brass.

Possibly. Most of the proponents of steel armor always say "Static defense!" I'd assumed you meant you wanted to sub it for a general plate carrier.

I was a firefighter and was the same size I am now with no problems a chest rig would be way lighter than bunker gear/tools/hose

not to mention at one time I lost 60 pounds had 20'' arms and still had a 54'' chest. What if I get a wild hair in my ass to get that way again? most chest rigs still wont fit me.

Maybe you should shut your mouth, or go hang at Arfcom since they like to say the same BS

Are you gonna tell me how much you bench press now?
    Maybe you should grow up and learn to read before crying steamy tears all over the thread. OP said he has a 54" waist, not chest.

Also, I prefaced my post with "not to be rude." This shows that I know my post could be perceived as offensive, and that I wanted it to be considered as valid criticism that should be thought of seriously. Even the OP had the good sense to reply with common courtesy even though he obviously disagreed. Being fat is an objective disadvantage in any situation involving a plate carrier. Does it mean larger people are bad people? No. Does it mean they're inferior in any way? No. It's just a disadvantage that needs to be addressed, and my point was that adding even more unnecessary weight in the form of steel plates doesn't seem to make sense.
    Apparently you lack the intelligence to understand that, and instead choose to throw a hissy fit. Your personal feelings and self confidence issues aren't my problem. You must be a riot at social events.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Come on, guys..........lighten to Hell up!

Until I retired, I was intensely active and had to hump a 30 pound tool bag up and down 3 flights of stairs. The year that I retired, I rode bicycles 3.414 miles (2011). Weight is irrelevant to me. Arthritis is another matter. What is hurting and how bad the pain is determines what I can do on any given day. Today, I'm going to stay home and reload ammo. It's one of those days.

I've always said that I never run from a fight. The truth is.....I couldn't run if I wanted to and an 80 year old hooker could catch me............snicker! May as well stand my ground and fight.

Flash

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Hell, guys..........lighten to Hell up!

I've always said that I never run from a fight. The truth is.....I couldn't run if I wanted to and an 80 year old hooker could catch me............snicker! May as well stand my ground and fight.

Flash
    Best watch out for them 80 yr. old hookers Flash....they are crafty:facepalm:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Fair enough point

Possibly. Most of the proponents of steel armor always say "Static defense!" I'd assumed you meant you wanted to sub it for a general plate carrier.

Are you gonna tell me how much you bench press now?
    Maybe you should grow up and learn to read before crying steamy tears all over the thread. OP said he has a 54" waist, not chest.

Also, I prefaced my post with "not to be rude." This shows that I know my post could be perceived as offensive, and that I wanted it to be considered as valid criticism that should be thought of seriously. Even the OP had the good sense to reply with common courtesy even though he obviously disagreed. Being fat is an objective disadvantage in any situation involving a plate carrier. Does it mean larger people are bad people? No. Does it mean they're inferior in any way? No. It's just a disadvantage that needs to be addressed, and my point was that adding even more unnecessary weight in the form of steel plates doesn't seem to make sense.
    Apparently you lack the intelligence to understand that, and instead choose to throw a hissy fit. Your personal feelings and self confidence issues aren't my problem. You must be a riot at social events.

Doesn't have shit to do with confidence or issues. The point is douche bags like you don't always have to open your fucking mouth, and whether it's waste or chest it doesn't matter most still don't fit.
    No one gives the smallest shit about what your opinion is on whether we need it or not.

95% of people know I you feel you need to say "not to be rude" it's a comment that isn't needed period. If Roger wants body armor he can buy body armor, same for me, and same for you and like it or not it doesn't matter if you think we need it. Sounds like you're the one with the problem since you can't handle people not wanting/needing/caring about your opinion. Obviously if someone's taking the time to search out body armor obviously they've weighed the options and they think they need it period. So keep your thoughts on whether or not you think someone needs something to yourself.

Rogers one of the smarter people on this forum I'm pretty sure he can decide what he needs for himself.

sent from the bathroom

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    No one gives the smallest shit about what your opinion is on whether we need it or not.

This reminds me of a story...............

I lived with "L" for three years. She was a gorgeous lady, 19 years younger than I and an "all state" champion athlete in Basketball and Softball. A few days of the month, you couldn't be around her. There was NO way that you could avoid fighting with her! Most of us call that PMS. She referred to it as PRE-MONSTER SYNDROME but God help me if I ever spoke those words!

Flash

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston

This reminds me of a story...............

I lived with "L" for three years. She was a gorgeous lady, 19 years younger than I and an "all state" champion athlete in Basketball and Softball. A few days of the month, you couldn't be around her. There was NO way that you could avoid fighting with her! Most of us call that PMS. She referred to it as PRE-MONSTER SYNDROME but God help me if I ever spoke those words!

Flash

I don't get the analogy...are you telling us that AKMike is on the rag?

Top Bottom