• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    How many of you are familiar with the Eddie Eagle program? My own kids went through it many years ago, and I wish more kids would. Toward that end, I'm posting links to it via my facebook page and my personal email sig line.
    Take a look at the program - what's SO important about it in my experience is that it is NOT about promoting gun ownership, but rather educating kids on what to do if they see/find a gun out of the presence of proper supervision.
    We teach kids how to use a condom, gay sex, etc - but not about the one thing they are simply MOST likely to encounter in their lives!

http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/

Example of sig line:

The Texas Redneck & Schoolmarm
    FLHTCUI - Red, of course!
    NRA Patron Member PGR TSRA HOG
    "In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
    SUPPORT the safety of young ones - encourage the Eddie Eagle Program!!
    http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/
    Target Sports

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It is - how do you get your materials? Do you have what you need? TC2 - what can be done to get more participation in the SA area???
    I get a letter every year from the NRA. I call and tell them how many students I will have and *presto* a few weeks later lots of boxes are being unloaded off a UPS truck. You can just call Eddie Eagle if you are affiliated with LE and I believe they will hook you up.
    As far as SA goes, I havent a clue. Large urban department....you may have better luck talking to the ISD police. In many cases a school board is so afraid of offending anyone they opt to do nothing. Its a shame. Eddie eagle is very well recieved where I live.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bueno - thanks. I'm with the Friends of NRA group out of Seguin, and the EE program is what got me involved with 'em in the first place. I'd love to see it used more widely - the idea of going to the individual ISD's is a good one - a buddy of my son's is w/the NSISD PD - gonna talk w/him, see if we can get their department behind it. Would you be willing to talk w/them if I can get some interest expressed to help promo it?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Stop, Don't Touch, Tell an Adult.

Most kids will not tell an Adult when they find something interesting like a fire-cracker, shotgun shell, or even a firearm; they will squirrel it away to play with at another time.

Sad to say, Eddie Eagle works best at home or at school, where there is an Adult or parent present. Elsewhere, it is a crap shoot.

It is good to educate, but we have to have responsible adults "on watch" all the time, that make sure their kiddos don't have access to harmful devices..

Slogans and good wishes do not make for safety.

Be well.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    H
    We teach kids how to use a condom, gay sex, etc -

Oh, I remember the good 'ol fashion gay sex talk we had at my 1st grade class!

Quite the shitty situation for the teacher.

She was anal about saying the word sex.

It went south pretty fast.

I heard laughter coming from the rear

I remember having fudge packed in my lunchbox that day for lunch.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Stop, Don't Touch, Tell an Adult.

Most kids will not tell an Adult when they find something interesting like a fire-cracker, shotgun shell, or even a firearm; they will squirrel it away to play with at another time.

Sad to say, Eddie Eagle works best at home or at school, where there is an Adult or parent present. Elsewhere, it is a crap shoot.

It is good to educate, but we have to have responsible adults "on watch" all the time, that make sure their kiddos don't have access to harmful devices..

Slogans and good wishes do not make for safety.

Be well.

It isnt a guarantee that accidents wont happen. For kids in the K-3 age group it is an awareness program that many lower demographic kids would never get anywhere else.
    It is tough to argue against the Eddie Eagle program.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Agreed.

Sadly, the sad fact is that the demographics work against the kids, no matter how well we try to educate them. If that education is not reinforced at home, we will be sadly disappointed.

We just might have to "buck" up, and try once again what worked in the past: Separate the "at-risk" population from their environment.

Too many unwed mothers.

Too many dead-beat fathers.

Too many social programs that ignore parental responsibility.

Far too many more to list.

Only a radical change in social policy that removes the role of public schools, welfare agencies, and the "Village" in the proper raising of children will work.

They tried abortion, and that did not work.

They tried "welfare" and that did not work.

As a society, we have to reinvent the STIGMA of being a hound dog, unwed mother, juvenile delinquent, and menace to society.

End welfare.

The "free ride" given to the underclass only makes this social condition worse.

Sadly, we look to Law Enforcement to solve a problem that is far beyond their ability to control.

So, we send Cops to do not Policing, but more social engineering.

I feel, for you sir, and certainly am not your critic, but am annoyed by the politics of political correctness that has cascaded down from on high.

Eddie Eagle, DARE, and such, simply drain manpower from policing our communities.

I don't expect a Cop to be a miracle worker.

Nor do I think it is in your duty description to protect and to serve.

Be well.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Agreed.

Sadly, the sad fact is that the demographics work against the kids, no matter how well we try to educate them. If that education is not reinforced at home, we will be sadly disappointed.

We just might have to "buck" up, and try once again what worked in the past: Separate the "at-risk" population from their environment.

Too many unwed mothers.

Too many dead-beat fathers.

Too many social programs that ignore parental responsibility.

Far too many more to list.

Only a radical change in social policy that removes the role of public schools, welfare agencies, and the "Village" in the proper raising of children will work.

They tried abortion, and that did not work.

They tried "welfare" and that did not work.

As a society, we have to reinvent the STIGMA of being a hound dog, unwed mother, juvenile delinquent, and menace to society.

End welfare.

The "free ride" given to the underclass only makes this social condition worse.

Sadly, we look to Law Enforcement to solve a problem that is far beyond their ability to control.

So, we send Cops to do not Policing, but more social engineering.

I feel, for you sir, and certainly am not your critic, but am annoyed by the politics of political correctness that has cascaded down from on high.

Eddie Eagle, DARE, and such, simply drain manpower from policing our communities.

I don't expect a Cop to be a miracle worker.

Nor do I think it is in your duty description to protect and to serve.

Be well.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I see Eddie Eagle really gets you going...

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I remember the program when I was a kid. Pretty commendable thing your doing there Texascop2.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I gotta check that out and see if we can have one of those classes at my kids school. Thanks for posting up that info.

Some of y'all are right, it isn't as full proof as having as gun in a safe. Why does it hurt to teach kids about safety though, by a Police Officer no less? <sarcasm> Don't tell your kids not to smoke crack. It won't stop them, might as well forget it.</sarcasm>

For those who have issues with "draining man power" you really need to put it in perspective. On the list of "government excesses" spending a little time with kids on gun safety is at the very bottom.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    My son has never done the program but I did make him memorize the three rules every kid needs to know. I saw Heston explain them in Bowling for Columbine. Thanks, Michael Moore! :p

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    kudo's to those promoting this program - being a public servant doesn't stop at enforcing the laws.....there's more to it

Top Bottom