• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    meh just sign it with your non normal hand and well good luck proving it was me that signed it.
    Hurley's Gold

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    As dumb as that sounds, I had to do the same a few times at our local shows.

I used to have an FFL03 C&R license, and in order to transfer a C&R firearm, you need to log the new owner's name and address into the book just in case you get audited. Now that that license has lapsed it doesn't matter, but there was a time where I did this and lost a sale or two due to the FFL03 rules requiring this..

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

I used to have an FFL03 C&R license, and in order to transfer a C&R firearm, you need to log the new owner's name and address into the book just in case you get audited. Now that that license has lapsed it doesn't matter, but there was a time where I did this and lost a sale or two due to the FFL03 rules requiring this..
    Unless of course he had a C&R and then it would be just his name and C&R number that would be required as I understand it.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What always kills me about these guys who want a BOS is the gun they're selling is so antique the Woke Bunch do not even know what the hell it is.
    Yep, them robbers is gonna use that thar SAA, Mauser broomie, or .455 Webley to rape and pillage.
    Maybe they have a C&R license and require the info. Many of we old guys like to collect old guns (specifically C&R eligible guns for this discussion) and one of the best ways to do that is to get a C&R FFL because then the guns, bought from a dealer afar or from another C&R holder or from a private citizen out of state, can be shipped directly to us with no need to go through an FFL and no need to pay a fee and no need for a NICS check - same goes for selling to another C&R holder - we can ship directly to them if it's a C&R firearm. The seller's or buyer's info has to be recorded in a bound book. Name and C&R number good enough but if the buyer does not have a C&R then name, address and ID number go into the book.

As for which gun might be used in a crime, well here you have exactly what you seem to doubt, no not a Mauser or a Webley but a Mosin Nagant:
    https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2012/jan/31/epd-looking-repeat-stop-n-shop-armed-robber/

One never knows, does one just what the future or a robber will hold.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Everytime you add a condition not required by law, you reduce the number of potential buyers.
    Perhaps but how do you prove that? Some buyers might only buy with a BOS. I heard that people are buying multiple guns because of the beer virus. How do you prove that? Multiple guns? Conjecture without proof. We are expressing our opinions which may or may not be valid.
    Incidentally now up to page 7 and I predict at least 10 pages when BOS is discussed.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    We've argued this to death, with the anti-BOS group being in the large majority. However, as others have pointed out, the seller can add whatever rules he wants and you can freely choose to agree or walk away.
    We're still gonna laugh at him, which is really what it's all about.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Perhaps but how do you prove that?

For most it is common sense, but if you wanted some kind of Business Journal peer-reviewed proof, setup up a scientific experiment where you have identical items for sale. Add increasing layers of conditions, see which one sells the most.

1) This widget is $50.
    2) This widget is $50 and I need ID.
    3) This widget is $50 and I need ID and fingerprints.
    4) This widget is $50 and I need ID and fingerprints and DNA sample.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I remember when I stopped shopping at Radio Shack. Could not buy a battery without the time consuming task of giving my name, address, etc, while clerk tried to type it in one finger at a time...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Perhaps but how do you prove that? Some buyers might only buy with a BOS. I heard that people are buying multiple guns because of the beer virus. How do you prove that? Multiple guns? Conjecture without proof. We are expressing our opinions which may or may not be valid.
    Incidentally now up to page 7 and I predict at least 10 pages when BOS is discussed.

Bought 11 in the last couple months, have passed over 5 due to BOS, 3 others due to distance.

Perhaps I wouldn't have bought more, maybe I'd have bought them all but I'm certain 5 were not purchased due to excessive criteria such as BOS.

I only ask a seller to show an LTC. If viewing my LTC is not adequate to satisfy a seller I'm a 'good guy' we can't do business. No hard feelings but my [valid] opinion is sellers lose some potential customers.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    The instructor for my carry class was informing everyone that they need a BOS when purchasing privately. It was really hard to keep from starting the conversation but I just kept my mouth shut. The class was full of people that were new to firearms and the instructor was law enforcement. I didn’t want to be “That guy”.
    I think I might have asked for my money back and walked on that one right there.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

Well, a dealer (even C&R) has to do what a dealer has to do, so that wasn't a private transaction. 'taint the same.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    One rather large obstacle is peoples belief that the gun.......

Is registered to them.................

How do I get it out of my name?

I've tried to explain it, but they know better ........

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The instructor for my carry class was informing everyone that they need a BOS when purchasing privately. It was really hard to keep from starting the conversation but I just kept my mouth shut. The class was full of people that were new to firearms and the instructor was law enforcement. I didn’t want to be “That guy”.
    I would have soooo been “that guy”

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As much as it might pain some of us, going through an FFL is the buyer/seller’s prerogative. If you don’t want to to the deal then don’t. I do prefer my firearms like Demoncracrs prefer their voters, undocumented. But for the right price on the right piece, I’ll do a “proper” transfer.
    On that note, if it is a gun I really want, I do not have an issue with going through an FFL. The condition will always be that the seller pays any FFL fees for the transfer.

Top Bottom