• easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    gshayd,

You look ahead, great, so I guess you're OK with odd ball purchasing time availability?

You work around it.

But, why should you have to go along with all the other purchasing time/items constraints? Why can't free enterprise decide when they'll be open?

If I want a new car, why does the dealership 'have to' shut down once a week perhaps on the only day I have time to look for one?

Oh yeah, there's a work around for that too, called the internet. Though I not disposed to buy a vehicle on the internet. It's either in person or not at all.....

Why are liquor stores closed on Sunday, plus are mandated to open at 10:00 A.M. at the earliest? Why can't they be available at the hours they choose?

Beer/wine can't be sold until noon at the earliest on Sunday.

Crap idea foisted by what particular lobby, eh?
    You must be young. There was a time when the country was much more religious and it all stems from the seventh day rest. People went to church on Sundays and had family time after. Sure it's a moral thing, but are we really better off without it?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    But it should be by choice, not government dictation...
    It's a local government mandate and usually coincided with the wishes of the citizens of the counties. Now days with people moving everywhere there's not as much what was called community of days gone by. Many are old laws that some hold on to due to tradition.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    No I buy mine Saturday Night..... Then they start selling again at noon on Sunday.

You are completely missing the point. Why do such laws even exist? What non-religious reasons are there?

The answer is none, which is the basis from which someone commented that "religious nuts control the agenda." I wouldn't use the term "nuts," but religion is obviously a factor in such laws; and if you can't see the correlation, you are simplychoosing to ignore the obvious.

As Thomas Jefferson wrote, religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his God. Government, at any level, should not be involved...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's a local government mandate and usually coincided with the wishes of the citizens of the counties. Now days with people moving everywhere there's not as much what was called community of days gone by. Many are old laws that some hold on to due to tradition.

Again, it's based on religion; and no matter what the "wishes" are, it should not be law.

Using that logic, if Muslims become a majority in the constituency, are you willing to accept Sharia law as the minority?

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Aren't most religious nuts pro guns? Blue laws and a scheduled day to OC have nothing to do with each other.
    Carry on......

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Again, it's based on religion; and no matter what the "wishes" are, it should not be law.

Using that logic, if Muslims become a majority in the constituency, are you willing to accept Sharia law as the minority?
    I'm not stating what is right or wrong, just what was right for those that set those laws. Many of the laws like "dry counties" were set because of the lawlessness of the old west. Many cowboys would have Sundays off, go to town, get drunk and shoot up the town. All in fun of course, but the local citizens didn't see it that way.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I would also hazard that much of the laws of the country have a religious undertone, take the Constitution for example. Would you want to abolish the Constitution due to that fact? I know there are many who would.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    What I think I'm seeing with some people is a partial, mandated by law 'Theocracy' no matter how benevolently presented is something some fear......and some don't find comfort in laws that originate from religion of one kind or another....

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Good question.

Don't know.

I'm pro-religion as it's generally a good social cement, though the Super Natural aspect has always made me a doubter........

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In 1971, the Supreme Court decided Lemon v. Kurtzman (403 U.S. 602) which created three tests for determining whether a particular government act or policy unconstitutionally promotes religion.

The Lemon test says that in order to be constitutional, a policy must:
    1. Have a non-religious purpose;
    2. Not end up promoting or favoring any set of religious beliefs; and
    3. Not overly involve the government with religion.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    People in general are sooooooo very sensitive when it comes to their religion, as religious war often proves......and crazy as it may sound, people's sensitivity when it comes to their taste in music. What do I mean?

A buddy would get irate if anyone mocked yodeling. Honest, he was a yodeling aficionado and would get fighting mad at the mere suggestion 'yodeling' was goofy as shit. This guy was no every other tooth missing, incestuous hill billy. He had a doctorate in Metallurgy. He's no longer among the living. Cancer. I digress.....

I'm of the opinion: Whatever floats your ....just don't target me for not buying in to your religious channel and for not accommodating your insistence that I have to attend your ceremonies or particular belief...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't think that the founders wanted to have a specific religion within governance, but they were God fearing men and the basis of governance was written with God in mind. Now as far as state and local governance, there are many laws that were written by certain faiths, take many laws in Pennsylvania for example.

There are many local laws that are outdated, but many rural areas that still have laws that many would consider outdated, but are upheld sternly.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Well this has taken an odd turn but I will go with it, being Christmas day and all.

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you are gonna have to serve someone. Dylan was right.

People get caughtt up in the religion or no religion at all aspect. Humans are too smart for their own good. It was never about religion and always about a relationship. Gonna be a lot of surprised religious people on judgement day.

WWJD? Pretty sure he would OC.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well this has taken an odd turn...
    Yeah. That's why religion discussions are prohibited by the board rules. It's cordial now but these discussions tend to devolve.

It would be nice if we could wrap up this particular branch of the discussion.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah. That's why religion discussions are prohibited by the board rules. It's cordial now but these discussions tend to devolve.

I'm done, and I was trying to keep it from being about belief or any certain religion.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas

Yup they usually disintegrate into a mess.

Top Bottom