• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chopper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    east tx
    I like everything about the Leek, (I have had one since it came out) The only downfall to the knife is the slick handle. I would love to find someone who could stiple or knurl the handles. other than that its a great blade.

D-Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I carry a Leek and agree with Chopper. I like everything about it except the slick finish. I still carry it so the pros outway the one con.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. They make the Leek with G10 scales now, by the way. That's the one I'm considering buying.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I have carried a Gerber Magnum LST for the last 20 years:

Magnum_LST.jpg

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I have several different knives that I carry. Spyderco Delica, Native, Endura or Benchmade mini-griptilian. On the weekend, I'll carry one of those or a Zero Tolerance 0350.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    Gerber Mini-Covert. I don't know if all of 'em are this way, but mine has been superb. About the same size as a Swiss Army Knife, with a lock that hasn't failed me yet - and it's gone through a washing machine and, IIRC, a dryer - with no damage. Sturdy and light.
    I also use a CKRT IFB - but the standard sheath isn't very good. Replaced it with a Spec-Ops sheath, and I wear it like a shoulder holster.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Hmmm... I had never heard this. Can anybody acknowledge or refute this (hopefully the latter)?

Texas Penal Code - Section 46.01. Definitions - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws
    Texas Penal Code - Section 46.02. Unlawful Carrying Weapons - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

There is a grey area with the whole "automatic knife" thing. You should probably play it safe and keep any knife that "springs" open at home. Or if you have a folder that is loose enough to flick open, it may be considered a gravity/centrifugal blade. I have a Kershaw Leek I've been carrying since 2007, it's spring assist open. But it has no buttons or levers on the handle, and you can't just flick your wrist to open it. I feel it's not in violation of the law.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    I don't see why people think it's a gray area. If you aren't pushing a button or switch or opening it with gravity, it isn't a switchblade.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I carry a Leek at work. The tip broke off so I filed it down. It still works great. When im not at work i carry an SOG Twitch II.

JTP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Austin
    My everyday carry knife, for general purposes, is a Benchmade 943 with the ComboEdge and black-coated blade. It's got S30V steel, it's fairly light and thin, and the aluminum handle is grippy-enough in your hand without being so grippy that it's difficult to pull out of your pocket. I think that the Axis lock is the best lock mechanism of any folding knife.

943 Details | Benchmade

My carry knife for defensive purposes is a Polkowski Polecat. 4" 154CM blade, polished linen micarta handles, and an IWB Kydex sheath. It's an extremely well-made and functional knife.

Polkowski Custom Knives - Personal Defense Knives

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I guess I kind of put my foot in my mouth with that one. It is fairly specific, I guess I just hear controversy from people trying to get away with illegal knives. I once heard, "If it has a spring in it, it's illegal" but by definition that is a false statement. The Kershaw Leek is a perfect example, spring assist but no buttons or anything on the handle and not loose enough to "flick" open with the wrist. There are lots of other similar design knives with springs that don't break the restrictions.

Top Bottom