• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My high school math teacher did not allow calculators in his class, although in the 70's they were already being marketed to teenagers for math homework. He said he did not want his students to be mental cripples to a calculator.

I still do a lot of math in my head, but I must admit I have become a mental cripple to the cell phone. I no longer know anybody's phone number. I used to know at least 2 dozen phone numbers.
    Live long enough and calculating in your head will baffle the hell outta you once again.
    DAMHIKT ...

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    True Story #1: Visiting my Dad and he wants to go to a sandwich shop. OK. We ordered and I stepped up to the register to pay. The amount was like $17.65. I dug in my wallet and got a $20 and handed it to the young girl at the register. She's shocked. She says she thought I was paying with a credit card and so she pushed the wrong button on the screen and now it won't calculate the change. She fooled around for a couple of minutes and though I could have given her the answer, I chose to see what would happen. She finally went and got the manager, who was probably in his late 20's. He looked at the register and played with a few things. At that point my Dad wants to leave and so I blurted out that it was $2.35. The manager held up his hand for me to be patient, then he turned around and pulled out his cell phone, searched until he found a calculator app, and then turned back around and got the money out of the register.

True Story #2: We met up with some folks in a restaurant where there was a bakery next door. Their kid wanted a cookie after dinner, so I took him over to the bakery and he picked one out. The girl behind the counter said it was 99 cents. I happened to have a couple of Sacagawea dollar coins in my pocket that I got in change from a parking lot. I tossed her a coin and told her to keep the change. She said, "What do you expect me to do with this?" Me: "Umm, put it in the register." Her: "But this isn't money." Me: "Uh, yes, it is. It even says so on the coin." Her: "What? They don't make dollar coins." Me: "Yes, they do. Google it." She did.

I weep for the future.
    Getting these tards ready for a cashless society. This country is on borrowed time

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I use cash a lot. Hence, I have multiple examples.
    A recent one that sticks out the most was at a drive-thru window where my total was $6.11. I gave the attendant a $10 bill, a $1 bill, and 11¢. I didn't have a $5 bill. I'm sure most of you know that I was expecting to receive a $5 bill in change.
    It so confused the cashier he called the shift manager over. BOTH of them kept saying I gave them too much money! Even though I attempted to explain it several times, the manager couldn't understand it either. She finally gave me the $1.11 back and made change for the $10 ($3.89).
    It actually would have been funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    The wife and I recently went to dinner with friends. I picked up both checks at the end of the meal and headed to the cash register to pay out. A girl in her early twenties was behind the register. I was holding my debit card when I gave her both checks. She got a panic look on her face for a minute and then rang up the sale and told me to insert my card. When I looked at the amount that was going to be charges for the card ($37 and some change) I knew she was exactly $10 short on her math, in my favor. She didn't know how to add the two amounts together. I debated whether or not to just let it go, but I couldn't. I wound up pulling out my pen and doing the math for her on the back of one of the receipts. She was terribly embarrassed because other customers were looking on.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I made a comment that we'd be better off just turning the cash registers around and let the customers do it.

We now have self-checkouts...

Ironically, the first business I saw self check-outs was the K-Mart on 410 here in San Antonio.

A few months later, it closed.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    I was working concessions with a money box (i.e., no register) when I was 11. Between 11 and 13, I also worked rodeos, parades and the Shriner's Circus selling soda, cotton candy, cracker jacks, hot dogs or whatever. Didn't have time for a calculator. :) Of course, I did grow up to be an engineer.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It's not just money. Telling time seems to be a lost art unless it's digital.

Attachments

• time.JPG
      time.JPG
      57.6 KB · Views: 47

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    This is going to blow some folks minds but nobody is born knowing how to do this stuff. If they don't know how, they haven't been taught like you were.
    True. I have an old, rotary phone on my desk. My 6 year old granddaughter asked what it was. When I told her it was a telephone, she looked at me like I was nuts!
    But, she's better on the computer/tablet than I am.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond