• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Using LinkedIn and Indeed, applying to advertised positions. Dunno about closing periods, they are usually not mentioned.
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Using LinkedIn and Indeed, applying to advertised positions. Dunno about closing periods, they are usually not mentioned.
    When I went through that a year and a half ago it took about a week and a half to two weeks to start getting calls.

Nothingnothingnothing then boomboomboom.

Keep your head up and keep applying.

Good luck.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I’ve never been good at looking for a job while still employed.

I’m a terrible liar, so it was always hard for me to come up with a reason to leave work for an interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personal suggestion.

Works very well in an office setting.
    Come into the office in a suit and tie. Take the afternoon off for a “personal appointment.” Any company with a real HR department won’t let them pursue that much further. Personal is personal. Any pursuit from others or management, advise them it is a personal matter.

Assuming they value you, it creates discomfort with your direct supervisor. Heck feed the rumors a bit.

Everything management does is to influence you. Just turn the tables.

It works.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've, in a small handful of cases over the years, left jobs when things went awry - but with a bit more tact than a raging bull. A couple examples:

Employer worked me like a dog. I was underage and needed the money, so they figured they had me over a barrel. They sort of did. It came time for a raise, but they refused. I was upset, knew I deserved the increase, but I kept my composure and simply began my work search. They were surprised when I tendered my resignation and tried to get me to reconsider, but I explained I had lost respect for them under the circumstances and felt it was best to leave. My boss pleaded and said she'd argue my case with the new GM, but I was done. Greener pastures and no ill will, but I will admit some resentment on this one.

Different employer, I made huge advances in capabilities and responsibilities. Pay came up, but not to the level it should have. I sat down with the owner and laid out my case and salary request, but he stated they didn't have the money to pay me. Again, I simply began quietly seeking a new position that offered what I wanted. I pretty quickly found one. When I tendered my resignation, they were shocked and very worried because they had nobody lined up and no idea how to even find someone. They quickly offered the money I asked for, but I explained the trust relationship - I took them on their word and accepted a new position. The "damn I f'd up" look was priceless. Long story short, I consulted for them for a couple years on weekends (at a much higher rate), then placed a friend in my old position when I moved out of state.

A while back. I was busting my balls for a company. Kept on getting 1.38572839% (ie chicken poop raises). annually.

They got bought out, and we got the whole. “Nothing will change”. Spin. Months and months. And it was clear my home team was not winning the political battle and the folks winning the power struggle were from the other company.

Anyway after spending 2 years saying “we’ll never move out of town”. I got the offer letter. Move to town X to our new high rent office. We’re plucking you out to be our varsity team. We’ll pay for you to move. But if we fire you, you’ve gotta pay us back.

So I told em, look. You see what I do, put up or shut up. Cost of living in new town is high.

Then I got the speech. You know the one. “I can’t now, but trust us, we’ll take care of you.”

I declined, accepted severance. Which they backed out of on an aggressive interpretation of the severance offer. Trust harrumph.

The local team management who saw the writing on the wall. Were secretly giving me the corporate version of high fives for landing on my feet. And all the core nucleus of folks who drove a lot of what the legacy company where doing finally saw the play the new company was doing.

Long story short look out for yourself. There are a lot of good folks out there with others pulling their strings. Even if corporation x is crappy a lot of times the folks aren’t.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Rome wasn't built in a day. The impatient generation in you is showing.

aSwOyAP.jpg

Also, I feel like you have no idea how old I am.

Attachments

• aSwOyAP.jpg
      aSwOyAP.jpg
      17.9 KB · Views: 195
    Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personal suggestion.

Works very well in an office setting.
    Come into the office in a suit and tie. Take the afternoon off for a “personal appointment.” Any company with a real HR department won’t let them pursue that much further. Personal is personal. Any pursuit from others or management, advise them it is a personal matter.

Assuming they value you, it creates discomfort with your direct supervisor. Heck feed the rumors a bit.

Everything management does is to influence you. Just turn the tables.

It works.

And I have seen that backfire as well.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    When I went through that a year and a half ago it took about a week and a half to two weeks to start getting calls.

Nothingnothingnothing then boomboomboom.

Keep your head up and keep applying.

Good luck.

Well, because I had nothing better to do besides delivering food for ubereats (interesting, but not worth it except for the experience), I signed up for and passed my CompTIA A+ certifications this week, and on Monday, I'll start some contracting work as IT deployment tech.
    It's a little bit less money than what I had, also no benefits, but I have this mental thing were I have to work rather than waiting for my ship to come in, LOL.
    I can then still keep looking for some more appropriately paid jobs, or, who knows, get better pay etc. after a few months.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, because I had nothing better to do besides delivering food for ubereats (interesting, but not worth it except for the experience), I signed up for and passed my CompTIA A+ certifications this week, and on Monday, I'll start some contracting work as IT deployment tech.
    It's a little bit less money than what I had, also no benefits, but I have this mental thing were I have to work rather than waiting for my ship to come in, LOL.
    I can then still keep looking for some more appropriately paid jobs, or, who knows, get better pay etc. after a few months.

Work toward the Sec+. The door opens wide then.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just did a practice test for Sec+... that doesn't seem that hard or overly technical?
    Percentage secured 89.29%

Depends on your technical experience. The reason I say Sec+ opens doors is that it is a DoD 8570 gateway cert and a civil service qualifier for the HS2110 or 2210 series.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom