Guns International

Facebook for the FB resistant - why join?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    I have FB to keep in touch with family and friends. Most of my privacy settings are set to "Friends Only". All the photos of Max and the rest of the "furry kids" are on my FB.
    Texas SOT

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I have FB to keep in touch with family and friends. Most of my privacy settings are set to "Friends Only". All the photos of Max and the rest of the "furry kids" are on my FB.

That's almost material for the out of context quote thread right there.

ETA: grammar correction. Roflmao

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    its also a good way to keep up with your favorite companies. PSA is having a sale? they just posted it on Facebook. AIMsurplus just got as shipment of 1000000000000 pmags? its posted on Facebook.
    But they make those same announcements on their website. If you friend or like them do you receive some form of auto notification? Even at that it seems the same as getting on their email list. Like the title says I'm FB resistant.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I don't want an account, I don't need an account (except for drawings) but maybe I don't get it cause I've never had it.

What is the MINIMUM amount of personal info I have to supply to get started?
    Are real names required?
    Are there any REAL advantages to having an account?

TIA

I don't have one. Don't feel the urge to get one either. My family members used to pester me about it till they realized I just wasn't going to do it. To be honest though, I sometimes wish I had one, when I read a political article and see the liberal comments at the bottom. Other than that, I don't see why I'd use one. The way I see it, unless for business, not point in having relationships over the internet. Why "Facebook" people that don't even call to say hello, or email photos?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I can't imagine posting anything more personal than I've done on TGT. The internet (collectively) is not my friend.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The upsides far outweigh the downsides. As others mentioned, you don't even really need to sign up using any of your actual real information. People often use "personas" on social media sites like that. Hell, create an alter ego or use a nickname that your friends know, or one they don't. Hell, if you really want to be careful, you can create a fake Gmail or other email account after navigating to Google or whatever other email provider through a proxy, then go register a fake persona on FB using a proxy to navigate to the site, and routing all activity through proxies, so there isn't anything directly tied to you. If you're really paranoid, you could do that. Or, you could simply be selective about what info you are putting out on there. The benefit is the far-reaching connectivity you can achieve with more people than you can using just about any other form of interaction. If you work it well, you can interact with and reach tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or potentially even millions of people in the span of mere days or even hours.

I will say this straight out. We currently live in a very "social" world. Some would call it too much so, and certainly there are some negative side effects from it as far as other areas of people's lives or psychological development being stunted. The fact remains, it's the world we live in now. One of the major reasons the gun rights movement faces so many problems and always appears to be facing an uphill battle is because WE SUCK at a whole lot of things like social media, and the other side ROCKS at it and embraces it. Hell, I've talked to gun store owners that don't even have a computer in their shop and refuse to have one. It's frickin' ridiculous. Large percentages of our demographic debate whether they should even be on the freakin' internet AT ALL. No wonder we frequently have the appearance of getting our asses kicked in the media, on social media, in elections, etc. We need to breed that mentality out of this community, and instead utilize the system from within, and simply do it better than everyone else.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    But they make those same announcements on their website. If you friend or like them do you receive some form of auto notification? Even at that it seems the same as getting on their email list. Like the title says I'm FB resistant.
    imagine being on this forum, and as you refresh the page, all of those promos are automatically loaded with pictures and descriptions on the front page.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I don't want an account, I don't need an account (except for drawings) but maybe I don't get it cause I've never had it.

What is the MINIMUM amount of personal info I have to supply to get started?
    Are real names required?
    Are there any REAL advantages to having an account?

TIA

Well, how about this. I'll post all your personal info here in this thread so that you don't have to worry about it being made public on FB.

Name: Jerome Williams
    DOB: 2/17/1966
    Phone: 713-577-3562
    SSN: 642-21-6735
    Address:
    2121 Taperton Dr
    Huntsville, TX

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Well, how about this. I'll post all your personal info here in this thread so that you don't have to worry about it being made public on FB.

Address:
    2121 Taperton Dr
    Huntsville, TX

Credit card info, please.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress

Address:
    2121 Taperton Dr
    Huntsville, TX

I'm so getting another drivers license

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    Just do it G.. Social media is very entertaining, especially when you have some female friends that post a lot and try to post these fake stories of themselves to create this picture perfect life they have when all the people who know them IRL, in real life, know they are full of shit.

You should also check out Vine, I'm hooked on this social vid site too. It's awesome.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I originally resisted anything about Farcebook but several sites I post on changed to only allowing FB accounts to post. Now that I have one, I occasionally post some rant about idiot libiturds and their brainless, clueless political actions. And after the White House "warned" about photoshopping Obastard photos, I've made sure I post links to every photoshopped Obastard photo I can find. I've also posted multiple pro gun articles. But the account is still mainly for logging on to various sites I frequent that require FB accounts.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Just don't put personal info up.

There's all sorts of privacy settings but I wouldn't trust any of them with all the hacks and errors on Facebook.

I have an account but only use it to see other stuff. Simply put in a bogus name and have never entered any info. When something somewhere pops up I want to see I log in otherwise it never gets used.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    I initially started using it to keep in touch with my kids when I was working overseas. My profile has always been kept as locked down as I could keep it. Now, I more so use it as sort of a news feed, following various news and 2A sites. It keeps relevant info that I am interested in coming without needing to scour the web (yeah, lazy I know). It's also handy for keeping up with a few friends from back east.
    As an upside, I also reconnected with a former high school classmate that was organizing a reunion. That led to me finally getting married to the right lady ;).
    Like any "tool", Facebook can be used wisely and safely, or misused and come back to bite ya.

Top Bottom