• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I opened a new box or Federal .45 FMJ that I got from WalMart today and noticed one round was shorter that the other. This is what I found.

IMAG0232.jpg

Should I contact Federal? Would it do any good?

Maybe I should just be glad my son wasn't loading mags at the time and missed it.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have seen that happen from time to time. I had a Black Talon case explode on me years ago and they sent me a free case of ammo. I later wrote them about exactly what you have and was told that if I sent the round in they would look at it and make a decision at that point.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It was back when it first came out. I was shooting it out of a Glock 23 and the whole back of the case blew off. didnt hurt the gun, but peppered my face although I was ok. I basically sent them a case with no back on it. I was told that it was a problem with early production Black Talon. I doubt much of it is around anymore. they sent me a free case of Black Talon and I never had another issue.

I wouldn't worry about it. All ammo can have failures.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks and good to hear. Until I sparingly shoot up my BT, it is my carry ammo for the Glock.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I opened a new box or Federal .45 FMJ that I got from WalMart today and noticed one round was shorter that the other. This is what I found.

IMAG0232.jpg

Should I contact Federal? Would it do any good?

Maybe I should just be glad my son wasn't loading mags at the time and missed it.

It's hard to tell by the pic but is the smaller round deformed in any way? if not it just looks like they accidentality put a 185 grainer in there.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    In you correspondence to them include any lot numbers, dates, etc. you may find stamped on the box or it's flaps, it will help them identify a problem.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Almost looks like a misaligment on the seating operation. I'm not sure if Federal does plate loading or inline loading, but even if they snuck a 185 grain in there, it wouldn't look like that. Bullets are seated against a reference point set by the seater, i.e. the nose of the bullet can be pushed no farther in than the seating die is set, no matter what the bullet length. Short bullets wouldn't be as deep in the case and longer bullets would be farther in the case but the reference point wouldn't change.

Until I sparingly shoot up my BT, it is my carry ammo for the Glock

If you are worried about supply, remember that the Ranger Talons and Ranger SXTs are the replacement for the old Black Talon line. Supposedly they've even improved the bullet since then with their SXT line to better penetrate cover, like car doors. The Ranger line can be had in 50 round quantities which beats that 20 round price of other ammo.

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Actually check the head stamp if you haven't already. That case on the left looks smaller in diameter than the case on the right. Even measures just a little smaller using a sheet of paper and pen marks, not very scientific so I may be wrong but it sure looks funny and a Flathead is normal on a 180gr 40S&W so maybe a 10mm got mixed in the packing machine somehow. Just a guess and you know what they say about guesses on the internet.

Radioman

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I just shipped 1/2 box of Remington .380 back to the factory - at their expense. Shot up 25 rounds and was looking at the remainder when I noticed they were all at different heights in the holder. A set of calipers verified that the overall length of all the rounds was different, varying from .927" to .977". I called Remington, they sent a return shipping label. They're going to let me know what they decide to do; soon I hope.

In your case, I'd call.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I have bought thousands of rounds of the Federal Champion .40 180gr FMJ. Had the same thing you had a few times. It is few and far between. I have had it with a few other manufacturers as well. It is so rare, I chuck the round and move on. That is why they teach you to inspect your ammo in the military.

Top Bottom