• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Recoil, what about vehicles not equipped with power windows? Should I be jumping around to roll down windows while the officer is walking up to my vehicle? Take into account I've already been legally profiled for having dark windows....

Good point on the crank windows.

But If there was no tint law you would not be profiled and could not be pulled over just to have your tint checked. You could only be ticketed for failing to roll your tinted windows down when stopped for another valid reason. But worry not, it will never be changed, the law is there to generate revenue.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I'm not worried about getting stopped for tint. It only happens in sketchy areas so the officers can check you out. There's stereotypes about who has dark windows and why they have them. My reasons are as follows- it's easier for me to see through than squinting eyes, it keeps my left arm from getting sunburned and getting hot riding in the truck all day, people can't see inside my truck when it's parked, it looks good on a black truck.

Im in sure my eye doctor will sign this for me.

I really don't want to have my tint redone. It's 19% not 5 or 10% and I don't drive a lot after dark.

Hate to tell you this, but all the car thieves I knew in high school and college. And I knew a few of them.
    Much preferred tinted windows, because when they broke the glass, the tint held the window together, and kept glass from going everywhere. They could shatter the window, flip the tinted window out of the car and sit down and pull the stereo.

They would actually pass up on non-tinted cars.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If you drive a lot for work, are fair skinned, have a family history of skin cancer.

Why would you assume someone was lying? I know several people with that exemption.

I have actually never heard of someone actually being stopped for a "tint violation." Maybe expired inspection because no "inspection house" will pass the vehicle.

If your inspection is up to date, then there should be no reason for a cop to pull you over for your tint being too dark.

Another BS example of the supposed safety of LE overriding ordinary citizens' freedoms. It's a stupid law because it is presuming all motorists as guilty of something before actually committing a crime.

I was stopped because my tint was too dark, & that was the only reason stated, & the only thing discussed.
    This was back in 1979, on my turbo mustang.....

Last edited:

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Mildly OT WarningMy experience is a little out of the ordinary on this, I suppose. Based on that experience, I assume that if I insist, a report will be taken.

Here's why.

Someone once threatened to burn down my house. I drove to the local Harris County Sheriff's office and asked to make a report. The deputy behind the bullet resistant glass asked me what happened and I told him. He flat-out refused to take a report. He said it was my word against someone else and there was just no point in taking the report.

I insisted on making the report. He refused. I insisted again and asked him who I could elevate to. His response was to threaten me with filing a false report. He used fairly circumspect language but an extremely aggressive posture (Well, as aggressive as you can be from behind glass.) but he made it clear that I could be committing a crime by filing such a spurious report.

I clearly and slowly told him that if reporting a crime was, in itself, a crime, then I was prepared to commit that crime. I wanted to file a report. Now.

Lordy, he was pissed at that point. Another deputy, behind him, tapped him on the shoulder and they stepped away from the glass and conferred. He came back to the glass and told me they didn't take reports at that location and that if I wanted to make the report, I must go home, dial 911, and a patrol unit would be sent out to take the report.

I went home, dialed 911, told them I wanted to make the report and to send a patrol unit to take the report.

The patrol unit arrived at my home and the deputy (much more calmly and professionally than the one at the station) declined, then told me it would go nowhere, then hinted at me getting in trouble for making a false report, then finally said "OK, if you insist, we'll do this."

He then did the report and gave me a case number.

I said all that to say this - I can understand the reluctance to create paperwork that goes nowhere. That reluctance is universal. But can a report be unilaterally refused? I'm sure it can if I'm obviously drunk or come to them with something idiotic on its face; no LEO should ever have to write up a report on an alien abduction, for example. But if, while fully aware that I might be creating more trouble for myself than for the person who robbed me, I insist on a report being taken, do LE agencies have the discretion to simply tell me to sod off?

Any agency that does not take reports of crimes in their jurisdiction has an issue. Even if one cannot (or is unlikely to be able to)prove the offense actually occurred, it is still a CRIME!

When someone reports a crime and does not want to pursue the case, we still take the report. It is a stat that must be accounted for

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have actually never heard of someone actually being stopped for a "tint violation."

A few years ago, TxDPS pulled me over, used a light meter and gave me a fix-it ticket.

I had recently purchased the V.
    I new the tint on the front door glass was dark, but the dealership had just slapped an inspection sticker on it.

I've also been pulled over for no front plate.

A rebel, I am ...

Top Bottom