Guns International

Family kicked out of home, arrested so police can use it for stake-out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I blame DA's and other administrators of Towns and states. There is no place for ROGUE cops or worse departments. It seems like after the manhunt in Boston, everyone now wants to shred the Constitution. You tell the LEO hey what about my rights, they laugh in your face, and ask if your an Ef....lawyer. Then what, you're going to pull your M&P Shield out when you have 10-20 hardcore trained swat guys on your doorstep.....be real. Time to make an example of these clowns I say 10 to 20 years, then maybe these departments will shape up and stop acting like LITTLE GESTAPO'S.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Oh, and I edited the title. Let's not call people out like that.

The title was in jest, no malice meant behind it. The story just had a "two-fer" in it that TXI seems to have a strong opinion of. Over-zealous cops and hurting a dog.

Seems like the newspaper account mimics the story I linked to. If the stories are true I hope they get a lot of money out of the PD and the officers are thrown in jail. At some point an example has to be made to stop the over-zealous cops from stomping all over citizens rights.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    If that account is correct...they were not justified and should lose their jobs and worse.

Although, I am suspect of such a one sided account.

Vegas area police usually have a shoot first, ask questions later and a severe "us vs. them" attitude.

This is the same PD that beat the snizz out of a guy who was going through diabetic shock a few years back.

Chances are, it wasn't DV, it was a drug house or something.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The title was in jest, no malice meant behind it. The story just had a "two-fer" in it that TXI seems to have a strong opinion of. Over-zealous cops and hurting a dog.

Seems like the newspaper account mimics the story I linked to. If the stories are true I hope they get a lot of money out of the PD and the officers are thrown in jail. At some point an example has to be made to stop the over-zealous cops from stomping all over citizens rights.
    1. Haven't seen any overzealous cops hurt a dog recently. Saw one incident that was 100% justifiable where a California guy's dog got shot and very rightfully so. Have you seen that one?
    2. Juries usually side with the public and when cops are out of line those cops and their agencies usually do pay handsomely.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    1. Haven't seen any overzealous cops hurt a dog recently. Saw one incident that was 100% justifiable where a California guy's dog got shot and very rightfully so. Have you seen that one?
    2. Juries usually side with the public and when cops are out of line those cops and their agencies usually do pay handsomely.

re 2
    The agency is funded by the people.
    The cops deserve prison. The agency needs civilian oversight.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Vegas area police usually have a shoot first, ask questions later and a severe "us vs. them" attitude.

This is the same PD that beat the snizz out of a guy who was going through diabetic shock a few years back.

Chances are, it wasn't DV, it was a drug house or something.
    I usually go to Vegas once a year. My casual encounters with Vegas cops have always been pleasant and they have been professional. Maybe I was just lucky.

You guys who want to paint a whole metro department with a broad brush crack me up.

Question: What if people said "all those pro 2A, constitution loving folk are radical, potential terrorists"? I believe that our current administration in DC is fond of doing this and we point out how inaccurate it is .

While there are those among us who fit that description, it would be an inaccurate description of the group as a whole.

Yet there are those here who seem to think it is ok to do to other segments of the populous. Bizarre.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    I usually go to Vegas once a year. My casual encounters with Vegas cops have always been pleasant and they have been professional. Maybe I was just lucky.

You guys who want to paint a whole metro department with a broad brush crack me up.

Question: What if people said "all those pro 2A, constitution loving folk are radical, potential terrorists"? I believe that our current administration in DC is fond of doing this and we point out how inaccurate it is .

While there are those among us who fit that description, it would be an inaccurate description of the group as a whole.

Yet there are those here who seem to think it is ok to do to other segments of the populous. Bizarre.

I lived there for years, had "friends" in the PD's and had been pulled over a handful of times (car is a cop magnet).

they treat tourists on the strip much differently then us peasants in the surrounding area.

Live out there and you'll see differently.

Henderson PD is very heavy handed.

Sadly, it's tax payer who pay for their "mistakes" which many would rather call policy.

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013

I lived there for years, had "friends" in the PD's and had been pulled over a handful of times (car is a cop magnet).

they treat tourists on the strip much differently then us peasants in the surrounding area.

Live out there and you'll see differently.

Henderson PD is very heavy handed.

Sadly, it's tax payer who pay for their "mistakes" which many would rather call policy.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Hypothetical here: Say it was only two cops, and they were both stomping all over the constitution like that. Would the homeowner have been within his rights to open fire on the two cops once they busted down the door like that? I'm thinking that at that point, he (the homeowner) may have thought that they weren't cops at all, but criminals impersonating cops, because a real cop wouldn't do something like that. Of course this would have just made matters MUCH MUCH worse but it's just a hypothetical to ask if the homeowner would have been in trouble by doing something like that.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Hypothetical here: Say it was only two cops, and they were both stomping all over the constitution like that. Would the homeowner have been within his rights to open fire on the two cops once they busted down the door like that? I'm thinking that at that point, he (the homeowner) may have thought that they weren't cops at all, but criminals impersonating cops, because a real cop wouldn't do something like that. Of course this would have just made matters MUCH MUCH worse but it's just a hypothetical to ask if the homeowner would have been in trouble by doing something like that.

Homeowner would be dead before anyone figured out who's right and who's wrong.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm thinking that at that point, he (the homeowner) may have thought that they weren't cops at all, but criminals impersonating cops, because a real cop wouldn't do something like that.
    Interesting. I was once lit up and pulled over by a motorcycle cop for going through an EZTag lane without an EZTag. That's just plain wrong. Anybody who knows the system (like a cop enforcing the rules in an EZTag lane should) knows a windshield tag isn't required. You can have an "EZPlate", which I did.

The guy came up to my window and I had my license and proof of insurance in hand. He didn't want to see the insurance, just took the license and proceeded to read the me riot act about violating the law. I told him I had an EZPlate which I'm sure he'd see as soon as he ran my license across the toll road database. He looked confused, went back to his bike, pretended to talk on a mic for ~20 seconds, and returned to my window.

He returned my license, told me there was a problem running it, and instructed me to immediately go to the EZTag store and get a tag.

Well, actually, he didn't tell me. More accurately, he screamed at the top of his lungs while cursing and pounding my front windshield with his left hand so hard I thought he was going to break it. Somewhere in there, he managed to grunt and (literally) spit out his barely intelligible commands. And he didn't actually return my license; he just threw it back through the open window.

Now, at this point I had long since become suspicious. He had no visible markings on his bike, none on his uniform, no visible badge, and no visible sidearm. As soon as he stopped talking, he almost ran back to his bike, peeled out, and was gone before I could get my car started. I sped after him hoping to get his plate number but he was in full Gran Prix sprint mode and I couldn't even get close.

It had been my intention to call HPD and report that someone was impersonating a cop simply because no real cop could possibly be that f'ing stupid. Without a plate number or any other identifying info, though, I figured it was a lost cause. I just ignored his orders and went home.

I said all that to say this - I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who pulled me over was, indeed, a real LEO. It is, however, crystal clear to me that some cops sometimes act so completely outside any reasonable course of action for an LEO that mistaking them for a bad guy isn't a stretch.

So why do some LEOs endanger their own lives by acting like fools? I know it happens. I've experienced it myself, more times than just this example. But I have never understood it.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Are you required to stop for an unmarked police vehicle? no marks on vehicle, uniform, badge? Notto make a cops life hard, but if i couldnt ID a vehicle as a Police vehicle, I'd call the local number (assuming I had it handy, which is the rub); and ask if one of their officers was following me.
    Can one be too careful?
    Is that asking for trouble?
    C-

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Are you required to stop for an unmarked police vehicle?
    It was a bike and it had flashing lights on the front, so I pulled over. I couldn't discern the lack of all other identifying characteristics until I was stopped and he was at my window.

As for not stopping for unmarked vehicles, remember "The Blue Light Rapist" in the late 1990s in Arkansas? He put a rotating blue light on his dash, pulled over women, and raped them. During that time, some women (well, at least one who made the national news) got the crap beat out of them for running from the police because she thought that the person behind her was the Blue Light Rapist.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.

I figure this ties into the OP story like this: If I had seen the lack of markings and run (or just floored it in reverse as soon as the maybe-cop stopped behind me), no amount of being right on the principles would bring me back to life after other responding officers finished filling me full of lead. If it turned out that the guy on the bike was not a cop, maybe I would have caught a break and just been found guilty of some crime based on using excessive force to defend myself against a threat of unknown seriousness.

To bring this back on topic, I wish I had had as much time to think up a response as those folks in the house in Nevada but even if I had had more time, I don't think there was any good way to handle the situation. I think the same can be said for the folks in Nevada.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    You only hear one side of a story. But unless.this story is way out of line with the truth, these officers are way out of line with reality and should lose their jobs and spend some time in prison.

Top Bottom