• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigHoss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    East Texas (Brownsboro)
    OK, I am a big boy! I have tried many holsters, but can not seem to find the right "fit" for me. I will be carrying a rather large gun in size, a SA XDm-9 with 5.25" barrel.

My question is this, who here...who may be a larger built fellow like myself can recommend a good CCW holster? I always wear un-tucked shirts...button up and/or t shirts. Please recommend something, many...show photos, issues, etc.

What's best for us big guys...IWB, OWB...others...?

Thanks!

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Here is the problem with holsters. The belt is designed to go around your waist and the holster sits on the belt line. Ideally pants will be wider at the hips and then narrow at the waist. This taper is how your pants stay up. Throw I holster into the problem and that taper becomes a wider cone as equal width is needed at the hips and waist. The problem with big guys is your waist is wider than your hips. So your pants are too tight, your stomach spills over the front and sides of your pants, your belt twists and your holster rides badly. You can't get a good fit. Sure folks will sell you say a super tuck delux holster and with two size bigger pants and a reinforced gunbelt or duty belt it might work.

Not pretty but it's the truth. Why not loose the weight? You don't need it and it's dragging you down.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    There's no indication he hasn't or isn't trying to loose weight. Also any medical issues are non of our business. And he may be completely happy with his size as well. None of which alters the OPs question.

Edit: Didn't mean to get in your business there Hoss, that one just hit me as wrong.

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    What's best for us big guys...IWB, OWB...others...?

You might look into a shoulder or under-arm holster. Kangaroo Carry has one called the Air Marshall II that looks as if it'll work for most large sized guys.
    Going 180 degrees, the Smart Carry rigs purport to be sweat proof and snag proof. Concealing a large frame might be a bit more problematic, but they say it'll work.

Waist carry may give you the most problem, but... I'm also purchasing in the Big and Tall shops exclusively, and find that an IWB holster for my PPS is not uncomfortable - I'd look for one with a good backing. I'm currently having one built for me by White Hat Holsters in Arlington TX to replace an MTAC that I've been using for a couple of months. Northing wrong with the MTAC, but they won't support my Viridian C5L light/laser so it's time to find someone who'll work with me, and White Hat seems to be that company.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When I was quite a bit heavier, I found out real quick the IWB holster just would not work for me. It of course may work for others but I could never get used to it. I always had OWB holsters and wore them at 3:00 to 4:00 just to keep from interfering with my "reserve". I've lost about 30 lbs. since I've retired (eating right and not needing as much "fuel") and have found that I can now wear an IWB, but it's still not as comfortable as the OWB. You're probably just going to have to try a few different ones. I really like this Don Hume OWB and have had several for several different guns. I really like the "sweat guard" piece that extends up in the back. Just my two bits.
    http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H721OTSALE/Don-Hume-Open-Top-Belt-Holster-H721-OT.html

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I too suggest you check out the Kangaroo Holster Line. I have never been able to find a IWB holster that didn't bother me in some fashion or another.

I have the Kangaroo and have found them to be the most comfortable holster I have tried.

Hope this helps.
    Brad

BigD24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    RGV
    I am a big guy (6 foot 6 285lbs) also. i have a crossbreed supertuck. isnt that bad of a holster, but i dont like that the handle of my gun is noticable. that might be because of the gun not the holster. good luck on your search.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am a big guy (6 foot 6 285lbs) also. i have a crossbreed supertuck. isnt that bad of a holster, but i dont like that the handle of my gun is noticable. that might be because of the gun not the holster. good luck on your search.

How is the grip noticable....are you talking about printing?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    At 6'1" and weight that got WAY out of control, I gave up on any sort of waist holster. The good part is that I am wide in the shoulders, have a belly but have no ass at all so that part of my pants hangs real baggy. Consequently, I pocket carry and can stuff any of the pocket pistols including the S&W 36, 640 and the Ruger LCR without any problems.

I agree with the shoulder holster idea and I purchased a number of them. The problem is that if I need to rig up a lot of junk before I leave the house, I simply won't do it. With pocket carry, I slip the little buddy in my pocket routinely and away I go. Wallet, keys, comb and gun....just like that.

Incidentally, I rode my bicycles 3100 miles and lost 29 pounds since March, 2011. My goal is 24 more pounds away and I may reevaluate the carry method then.

Flash

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    A good gun belt and a pair of suspenders will keep yer britches up . I carry IWB even after losing 50lbs I still wear the suspenders they help tremendously due to the weight of the gun and 2 extra magazines. Just my

Keyword -Suspenders

BigD24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    RGV
    How is the grip noticable....are you talking about printing?

Yes that! i couldnt come up with the right word. If you were to see me you wouldnt be able to tell its a gun, but i see myself in the mirror and another CHL holder would be able to tell.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I am a larger guy (read fat body) and I have spent years trying to find a "comfortable" carry setup. I have a few that are okayish but my go to is a CompTac C-Tac for my USPc .40. I have adjusted the cant on it so that it is at about a 30 degree angle and then wear it just behind the hip bone. My number 2 is a Galco holster Small of the back (my gut makes the small of my back bigger) with a Kimber Pro frame .45.

I have a hard time believing you will ever find a comfortable way to carry a full size frame sidearm other than in something like a fanny pack or Maxpedition versa-pack. That said, good luck and moleskin on the skin side of your holster will be a lifesaver.

Getting something that is ok will be hard bro. The biggest thing once you find something is practice with it, because if your body is built anything like mine you are never going to be comfortable in a "regular" carry set-up that is built for guys without a fore and side gut.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I am 5'11" and 250ish and use a Crossbreed Supertuck with their belt. The biggest problem I had was getting used to how tight the belt needed to be. I've found a happy medium now and it's comfortable but sometimes the holster likes to scoot back from the 3:00 position where I like it. Depends on where my belt loops are.

I have a friend that is bigger than I am and he likes to pocket carry. Of course you would have to rethink you gun choice if you went that route.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    I hear you and understand how it is to be big and never have anything fit right including holsters. I have tried all different types and none seem to do it for me so I went back to a bellyband (EBay-21.00) and I love it. what I do is because they say 48 inch and really mean 42 inches and to do comfortable. it can't be super tight so I get the scissors out and cut the back and added some denim from a pair of jeans to add more length to them for comfort.

I carry a glock G23 and I use a saf-t-blok as not to shoot a load inside my pants. the other side an extra mag and some have a hidden pocket for extra money. need to use a bathroom; no probs the belly band keeps the gun in the same spot with your pants down.

Tuck in shirts no probs, shorts and a tee no prob, sweats no probs... Same gun.Never pulls your pants down from weight. When you want to you can move it up and wear it under the arm, around the chest area for even faster access through a button up.

edit: just a note you can do all modifications on a regular sewing machine or by hand

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    ... need to use a bathroom; no probs the belly band keeps the gun in the same spot with your pants down.

Tuck in shirts no probs, shorts and a tee no prob, sweats no probs... Same gun.Never pulls your pants down from weight. When you want to you can move it up and wear it under the arm, around the chest area for even faster access through a button up...

Funny you should mention the whole bathroom thing...I've been wondering how I would handle sitting on the can with a holster on my belt. I'm like you guys, the belly gets in the way, but the Kangaroo Carry and Belly Band might be a good option for me.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    the kangaroo carry you need to reach on your pants
    for 20 bucks try abelly band on EBay its free shipping and no tax. I have one and adjustments canbe made with a needle and thread. In the summer I carry my cell ph in it on theone side and gun on the other. I still have the original from back in the 80'swhen I first seen them.

here is one other one I have been looking at it is called a pager pal
    Cell Pal Concealed Carry Holster Total Concealment undercover ccw armed citizens conceled weapon permit no fanny packs handgun

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    the kangaroo carry you need to reach on your pants
    for 20 bucks try abelly band on EBay its free shipping and no tax.
    I have one and adjustments canbe made with a needle and thread. In the summer I carry my cell ph in it on theone side and gun on the other. I still have the original from back in the 80'swhen I first seen them.

here is one other one I have been looking at it is called a pager pal
    Cell Pal Concealed Carry Holster Total Concealment undercover ccw armed citizens conceled weapon permit no fanny packs handgun

I don't understand the highlighted part of your quote??? Are you posting from a cell phone?? Please use more punctuation. Thanks.

Top Bottom