• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was looking at some internet site, and I came accross some of the funniest things people say about their favorite caliber.

"The .357 Magnum has a 99.9% first shot stop ratio according to the FBI Shooting Statistics.

There is no other handgun cartridge that holds that type of ratio. Not even the .45 ACP or .44 Magnum.

Yes these other cartridges may indeed be more powerful than the .357 Magnum, but what you must understand is this: its all a balancing act or speed, speed power and bullet weight.

Plus its not just any .357 Magnum cartridge that is the top stopper. Its 125 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point .357 Magnum.

The balance of speed and bullet weight delivers the correct amount of hydrostatic shock to the human body so efficently it actually causes cardio-pulminary arrest, or if delivered to the head, completely mushes brain tissue, literally scrambling the tissue into a mess.

This is not just me trying to play up the cartridge, its a documented fact through the FBI Stats.

The .357 Magnum is my first choice in my home defense gun. I keep a Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum loaded with 125 Grain JHP Cor-Bon Cartridges. Yes I have a revolver as my home weapon. I have 6 100% reliable shots that don't require two hands to clear a cartridge that failed to fire when I needed it, or because I failed to chamber a cartridge when I last loaded the pistol.

I teach home defense courses, and one of the things I instill in my students is the fact that when you are on the phone playing 20 Questions with the 911 Dispatcher, you only have one hand free.

So when the bad guy is coming at you and the gun goes "click" what's your next move with your Glock or your Beretta?

Answer:

Put the phone down and rack the slide, then hope you have time to try again.

That answer changes with a revolver. You simply keep talking and pull the trigger again.

. . ."

I just thought this was funny. I have a lot of respect for the .357 mag but please!

Yall have any stories?
    Guns International

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    People get as nutty about guns and calibers as politics and religion. Tons of deer harvested with .30-30s, .243s, .270s, and 30-06 but the "flat shooting, muzzle velocity" magnum crowd can't conceive of those calibers being "effective." And police in this country carried .38 Special revolvers forever and the Colt 1911 worked for our milary just fine for 80 years. But, the gun magazines wouldn't be in business and the firearms makers would go broke just selling the tried and true and folks can't be happy just buying and using the stuff they like -- they have to "prove" its the "best."

It's funny really.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hahaha, that's a good one. I can't find it at the moment (I should start saving these things...), but in the aftermath of the FBI's infamous Miami Shootout, the FBI sat down and did a bunch of testing on different calibers and their likely stopping power. The conclusions are available (somewhere...) on the web in a PDF. One of those conclusions was that .357 magnum is not really any more effective on people than a proper .38 special load. The only problem they encountered with the .38 special loads in that shootout was that they were using bullets that were too light, which reduced penetration too much, failing to kill or incapacitate one of the badguys.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    .45 ACP when it hits a man leaves nothing but two smoking shoes and a fine pink mist!!!

.45 ACP MANKILLER! IT WAS USED TO TAKE OUT TIGERS IN WWII FROM 120 YARDS AWAY! THEY TIED TWO .45 ACPs TOGETHER TO BLOW UP NAGASAKI AND HIROSHIMA!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hell, i once saw a guy with a 1911 shoot down a chinook cruising at 15000 feet with two shots. blew both the rotors clean off!

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I love my big bore magnums but in a close quarter fire fight - 45acp,44 spl.
    Nothing like a slow moving freight train to clear tissue and bone out of the way.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Chuck Norris uses 1911 45ACP as a water pick, it's why his teeth are so gleaming and white.

TRUE STORY (I was there and involved, saw with my OWN EYES) - Back in '92 through '93 - Operation Restore Hope, we were doing a sweep of buildings with guys in Mogadishu to clear for convoy transport routes from airport to markets/food distribution sites (we'd get a lot of fire down on the trucks if we didn't secure the areas before the trucks came through so the skinny's could steal the food then try to SELL the free stuff in the market), a guy popped a skinny in the face with a .357 Magnum JHP....LITERALLY in the bridge of the nose...looked like a mort had gone in there and turned his head inside out...like pushed him in the nose with their finger and turned his grape inside out...

The guy who did the shoot always caught shyte for carrying a wheel gun....not after that, and never again.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Had aloacal cop get into trouble for making fun of a guy that tried to kill himself but used a .25 ,big mistake. He must have had it at an angle cause it traveled on the outside of the skull and stopped at the ear.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The 10mm jokes are excessive, but so over-the-top that anyone with a handful of working brain cells realizes they're not serious.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    TRUE STORY (I was there and involved, saw with my OWN EYES) - Back in '92 through '93 - Operation Restore Hope, we were doing a sweep of buildings with guys in Mogadishu to clear for convoy transport routes from airport to markets/food distribution sites (we'd get a lot of fire down on the trucks if we didn't secure the areas before the trucks came through so the skinny's could steal the food then try to SELL the free stuff in the market), a guy popped a skinny in the face with a .357 Magnum JHP....LITERALLY in the bridge of the nose...looked like a mort had gone in there and turned his head inside out...like pushed him in the nose with their finger and turned his grape inside out...

The guy who did the shoot always caught shyte for carrying a wheel gun....not after that, and never again.

Damn, that's crazy.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Chuck Norris uses 1911 45ACP as a water pick, it's why his teeth are so gleaming and white.

My question would be, what kind of unit were you with that allowed the carry of personal weapons?

Top Bottom