• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Also, I had a 10 minute conversation with one of my students on the fact that physics does not allow the "bending" of a shot, ex. Wanted. He wouldn't believe me and told me he saw it on youtube. I stared for about 30 seconds then wondered about how much it would hurt if I put a pencil in my eye.

On the contrary sir... physics routinely "bends" the shot. Look into the Magnus effect, and how a bullet stabilizes nose up and generally canted to the side, traveling in a circular motion due to the spin.

If you could derive an instable harmonic in the spin, it's possible that you could curve a shot to some degree. Accuracy be damned I'd imagine.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I guess the thing that bothers me the most is when the hero (or bad guy) has been fighting or what not and it comes to the dramatic moment and they a. rack the slide, b. pump the shotgun, or c. pull back the hammer off the gun. . . . . .So where they fighting with an empty gun the whole time or what?!!

My favorite is how every pistol makes the same single action Army revolver cocking noise when it comes out. Even if it's a Glock. I need to trade my G19 in for a Hollywood version. It'd have a 62 round flush fitting magazine, knock people to the ground in a single shot, and make the cool SAA revolver cocking noise every time I pulled it out.

However, there is one movie out there that I recall having somewhat realistic gun play. Travis knows the name of it, but I can't ever remember it. They are caught in a shoot-out at some S. American village, one guy has a 1911 and he's reloading by pulling the mag out with his teeth, cocking the gun one-handed off the rear sight, all kinds of actual techniques. The 1911 has a 7 round shot sequence too. Lots of reloading. The only downside is that there is a guy with a snub-nose revolver sniping people 30 - 50 yards away, LOL.

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    That .825 link was the bomb
    Had NO idea about the history of those calibers, their pressures or that big game
    had become that much more dangerous!!!!!!!!

Who'd a thunk it??????

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Yeah, when 750 grainers slung by a .577 Tyrannosaur start bouncing off of squirrels, then its time to start hunting them with a 155mm instead. When they become immune to those, I think the world is SOL. :eek:

Rock on!

Brad L.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    However, there is one movie out there that I recall having somewhat realistic gun play. Travis knows the name of it, but I can't ever remember it. They are caught in a shoot-out at some S. American village, one guy has a 1911 and he's reloading by pulling the mag out with his teeth, cocking the gun one-handed off the rear sight, all kinds of actual techniques. The 1911 has a 7 round shot sequence too. Lots of reloading. The only downside is that there is a guy with a snub-nose revolver sniping people 30 - 50 yards away, LOL.

One of my faves is Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis, especially when he's sitting there with a case of ammo and beaucoup mags, just loading up one after another. Thats one of the few movies that I've seen that there was actually reloading in it... Theres a few times where he goes over the round count, but at least he reloads...:p Hell, I think the movie youre talking about has Bruce Willis in it too. Maybe its Tears of the Sun?

Rock on!

Brad L.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Brits rifled their Enfields in reverse for deployment to the Southern Hemisphere. They actually believed it was necessary.

LOL, I was joking. I guess they weren't.

Hey... if the Brits did it, it's gotta be a good idea. They know how to make great gear for killing, even if they're not so good at the actual execution all the time.

Spetsnaz feared the .303 Lee Enfield rifles in Afghanistan. It was a sorry Muj who they caught with one...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL, I was joking. I guess they weren't.

Hey... if the Brits did it, it's gotta be a good idea. They know how to make great gear for killing, even if they're not so good at the actual execution all the time.

Spetsnaz feared the .303 Lee Enfield rifles in Afghanistan. It was a sorry Muj who they caught with one...

Probably because they used dum-dum rounds for a good while. The rifle itself isn't that accurate or great, but the dum-dum makes the .303 just nasty.

TxSgt1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I took a 10 point whitetail buck at 300 yards with my customized Jennings .22 that shoots 1/4 MOA...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My favorite is how every pistol makes the same single action Army revolver cocking noise when it comes out. Even if it's a Glock. I need to trade my G19 in for a Hollywood version. It'd have a 62 round flush fitting magazine, knock people to the ground in a single shot, and make the cool SAA revolver cocking noise every time I pulled it out.

The movie is Way of the Gun (awesome movie):

YouTube - The Way of the Gun Shootout

YouTube - Way of the Gun - Realistic room clearing and tactics

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Back in Nam I shot at a guy 8 times with my 1911, missed 8 times, threw the gun and hit him in the head. Buddy then shot him while I was putting on lipstick and getting ready to kiss my a$$ goodbye.

Hey if Joe Willie Nameth can wear pantyhose on the football field, I can wear lipstick on the battlefield.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Back in Nam I shot at a guy 8 times with my 1911, missed 8 times, threw the gun and hit him in the head. Buddy then shot him while I was putting on lipstick and getting ready to kiss my a$$ goodbye.

Hey if Joe Willie Nameth can wear pantyhose on the football field, I can wear lipstick on the battlefield.

Uhhhhh... uhhhhhh... Dont ask dont tell? LOL! jk!

Oh get this... there was an earlier post about the .22 being a bouncy bullet. Guy came over today with my neighbor from down the street while I was reloading, and started showing off scars when he got shot in the top of his foot. Apparently it bounced off the top of his foot, penetrated 6 inches up the inside of his leg, bounced off a bone again, and went back down through his leg, back through his foot and out the bottom. I had to call on that and told him that it wouldnt have enough left over inertia to go back through the leg, that maybe the bullet split in two and had two seperate wounds from the same bullet. Well, he got pissed off and stormed out of the house. Damn I hate when people start drinking and have to exaggerate to look important.

crossfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    1. "Beware the .357 Maximum in a revolver. The cartridge can cut the topstrap in two like an acetelyene torch and fragment the forcing cone like a grenade. That's why Ruger discontinued the Maximum Super Blackhawk."
    (Fact: The Maximum Blackhawk was discontinued because it was too expensive for Ruger to produce a custom frame revolver that wasn't competitive in the sport the Maximum was designed for.)
    2. "Bottleneck cartridges don't work in revolvers."
    (Fact: The .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .30-30, .32-20, .38-40, .44-40, .357-44 Bain & Davis and Gary Reeder's GNR cartridges do just fine in revolvers. The .22 Jet was a failure for several reasons other than simply being a bottle-neck cartridge.)
    3. "The .357 Magnum is marginal for deer-size game."
    (Fact: The .357 Magnum has been used to take game up to and including the larger bears in the hands of shooters with the skills necessary for accurate bullet placement with ammunition loaded to original pressure levels.)
    4. "The .30-30 is marginal for deer-size game."
    (Fact: This cartridge has probably taken more game animals in North America than any other.)

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson

That's what I thought it was. There were some funny parts though - like the one guy brought an assault rifle, but he only brought one mag of ammo and dumped the whole thing on full auto, and naturally, the bullet holes made a perfectly level, evenly spaced line across the wall. Yet when they whip out their 1911s, they seem to have several dozen mags each. Also, they guys are supposedly broke and trying all sorts of wacky schemes to get money, yet they have an awful lot of expensive gun stuff lying around.

mace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Houson
    This is a required part for most movies.

The actual science is terrible in most movies. The idea of momentum just doesn't exists.

It annoys me when you see a guy firing a fully automatic rifle in each hand with no recoil.

Or have you ever looked at the physics of a movie like Eraser? Fun reads if you are a nerd (like me).

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is when the hero (or bad guy) has been fighting or what not and it comes to the dramatic moment and they a. rack the slide, b. pump the shotgun, or c. pull back the hammer off the gun. . . . . .So where they fighting with an empty gun the whole time or what?!!

The really funny part is that the guy firing the gun apparently experiences no recoil, yet the guy getting hit flies across the room like he got hit by a truck. Newton's third law, anyone?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Probably because they used dum-dum rounds for a good while. The rifle itself isn't that accurate or great, but the dum-dum makes the .303 just nasty.

Nah, the Dum Dum was gone by the time the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. The .303 is nasty because the British realized the benefits of leaving a void in the nose of the bullet between the jacket and the core. I think they actually would fill this with wood (sterilized, of course...) - I know they did in at least one version. A base-heavy bullet fired from a high power rifle. Yikes. Not only will it cut through body armor like paper, but it's going to yaw as soon as it meets flesh. IIRC, a nose-light bullet is also more accurate for some strange reason (look at the HPBT match ammo a lot of long range shooters use).

Scary effective round.

As far as Lee-Enfield accuracy, you have to remember that the Soviets were armed with AKs for the most part... so by comparison, the Lee-Enfield is the telephone company.

Top Bottom