Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Have several #1s.
    I was always attracted to the simpler #3 rifles. Maybe someday I'll try to find one in .30-40 Krag. Also, I'm greatly tempted by this conceptually similar rifle, especially since Starline is now making proper brass.

I know I'll never get either. I'm too old to start a whole new sub-hobby. But, man, those rifles as well as the #1s sure are nice.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also, I'm greatly tempted by this conceptually similar rifle, especially since Starline is now making proper brass.

I briefly owned an old Marlin in 38-55. Model 1881 I think it was.
    Wish I'd kept it though shooting that big round in a 120 year old rifle made me nervous.
    Have still kept a box of ammo on the back shelf somewhere.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I'm sure we'd love to see them. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the crowd around here loves pictures. I can't imagine why anyone in another forum ever gave you any grief for sharing.

So, pictures? Yeah, buddy!
    Hello Ben....
    I want to send out a message to all I have recently conversed with in the forum.
    My bad!.....
    I want to apologize for not getting pictures up as quickly as I want to. I am in the middle of dealing with my father's estate, which I am the executor for. I am also the care taker of y 87 year old mother. My folks live just over 100 miles from my home. The weather as you know has been brutal in Northern Illinois and commuting from my home to my parent's is a bit of an ordeal. My picture archives is with my computer at my home and I only have my laptop with me at my mother's house. I do not have all of the photo files with me but I do have some.
    Please bear with me until I get to my home base in the next week or so and I WILL provide some pictures (especially The AXE) As I promised.
    In the mean time I am trying to keep in touch for anyone interested in my junk (not that junk!)
    Best Regards........ John
    Here is Pistol Cabinet 1.... It's a start....
    Pistol-Cabinet-1-sized.jpg
    Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-sized.jpg
    Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-2-sized.jpg

Attachments

• Pistol-Cabinet-1-sized.jpg
      Pistol-Cabinet-1-sized.jpg
      733 KB · Views: 328
    • Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-sized.jpg
      Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-sized.jpg
      748.4 KB · Views: 377
    • Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-2-sized.jpg
      Pistol-Cabinet-1.-A-2-sized.jpg
      111.8 KB · Views: 332

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mad John:

Welcome!

What a magnificent collection of weaponry.

Every time I look I spy something else....like that flintlock on the cabinet!
    Nice.

Several pepper-box pistols! wow.

And I'm vexed by the lowest of the 4 rifles. A pump action falling block with a tang peep?
    Educate me.

That shelved gun cabinet itself is phenomenal.
    And a hint of the armoire to the left's contents?

Bless you for caring for your mom, as I'm in a similar curcumstance.

Last edited:

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    Hello Ben....
    I want to send out a message to all I have recently conversed with in the forum.
    My bad!.....
    I want to apologize for not getting pictures up as quickly as I want to. I am in the middle of dealing with my father's estate, which I am the executor for. I am also the care taker of y 87 year old mother. My folks live just over 100 miles from my home. The weather as you know has been brutal in Northern Illinois and commuting from my home to my parent's is a bit of an ordeal. My picture archives is with my computer at my home and I only have my laptop with me at my mother's house. I do not have all of the photo files with me but I do have some.
    Please bear with me until I get to my home base in the next week or so and I WILL provide some pictures (especially The AXE) As I promised.
    In the mean time I am trying to keep in touch for anyone interested in my junk (not that junk!)
    Best Regards........ John
    Here is Pistol Cabinet 1.... It's a start.... View attachment 161661 View attachment 161662 View attachment 161663

Great collection and a lot of good looking weapons.
    What is the third rifle down on the wall rack. How about a better picture and a description?

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Okay, the third rifle down from the top is Steven's Favorite take down in .22LR with an old Lyman tang sight. Not much else to say except it is fun to shoot.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Mad John:

Welcome!

What a magnificent collection of weaponry.

Every time I look I spy something else....like that flintlock on the cabinet!
    Nice.

Several pepper-box pistols! wow.

And I'm vexed by the lowest of the 4 rifles. A pump action falling block with a tang peep?
    Educate me.

That shelved gun cabinet itself is phenomenal.
    And a hint of the armoire to the left's contents?

Bless you for caring for your mom, as I'm in a similar curcumstance.
    It's just fun stuff.
    Yes that is a Flintlock on the cabinet. It is a US Model 1816 by Snow of Massachusetts. .54 caliber smooth bore. Great piece and condition right down to the inspector's cartouche on the stock. It sparks well and makes alot of smoke too.
    I love old Pepperboxes and have a number of them laying around. Interesting weapons in their day. Some were not all that reliable and others were real workhorses especially the larger "Dragoon" models.
    Mark Twain once said that the only safe place to be when someone pulled a pepperbox was right in front of it. Never new which or how many barrels were going to fire... but impressive.
    The 4th rifle at the bottom is a special ordered Stevens "Visible Loader" pump action .22. With Lyman 2 oriface peep sight and a dual front sight. They were known as the "Miserable Loader" because they were jam prone if operated quickly. Also they will fire "out of battery" if the shooter is not careful closing the action before pulling the trigger. It will spit brass shell casing back into your face!
    Okay, the antique wardrobe to the left is a converted long gun cabinet with LEd lighting and just more stuff too....
    I have other pistol cabinets with drawers of miscellaneous items. I AM a pack Rat!
    DSC_0246a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0246a.jpg
      DSC_0246a.jpg
      381.6 KB · Views: 325

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I can see why you might be doubted by the haters, your collection is beyond impressive.
    Well, I do not know about "beyond impressive" as it represents alot of sacrifice and years of saving / trading and buying the best I could afford.
    I Do NOT want anyone thinking that I am bragging or trying to be better than anyone! Regardless of your collection be it big or small... It is YOUR collection and I would never belittle anyone's property. I appreciate and respect anyone's efforts because that is YOUR effort and pride. These are mine and I didn't collect just to sit and hide them. I like to share, show and discuss my junk. I learned sharing in Kindergarten. Heck, if you enjoy what I decide to show please ask questions. I do not mind and that is another reason I teach about the things I collect and the history associated with them.
    If anyone has doubts.... ask me? I can show bills of sale, documents and credentials. (Privately of course) I am NOT a public person nor is my collection. The world is full of haters and they tend to be rather shallow and jealously self-centered
    I am NOT! Best Regards, John

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Is "orgasm-genic" a word?

Magnificent snapshot into the technology of our past.

??
    From pin-fires to that Garand sniper far right!
    Thanks.

The NRA museum in Fairfax is salivating.
    That particular M1D is totally unfired! It still has the "grease rope" in the barrel. My favorite Garand, all matching, never issued. The NRA museum makes me wear a bib because I have slobber down to my shoe tops.
    Something else I collect.... currency... check out the signature....

scan0004.jpg

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
      scan0004.jpg
      1.7 MB · Views: 312
    Top Bottom