• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    so i was at walmart last week getting some practice ammo, i always go for winchester white box when its available but they were sold out for 9mm so i got federal instead. It was a couple bucks cheaper so i picked up a box of .380 too. figured it wouldn't hurt to leave my trusty winchester white box just one time. After firing 25 rounds from each box i have decided never to make that mistake again, at least not with federal. With each shot i was greeted with small bits of what i assume was carbon hitting my hands and a lot of smoke comeing out around the chamber and slide and accuracy was terrible.
    It was the first time since i can remember that i bought a 50 rnd box that wasn't empty after shooting. Federal pistol ammo is now in my DO NOT BUY list. I am also blaming it for the first malfunction i have had with my taurus pt 917C.
    Texas SOT

SpikeTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Richmond
    Hmmm... I put 500 rounds in my SP2022 and not one issue. Didn't notice much difference in accuracy compared to winchester but; then again i'm still working the trigger pull and a newbie to pistols. but still no flyers without my own doing.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Some of my quality .22lr rifles function flawlessly with premium ammo, CCI is liked the best and often Federal .22lr fails repeatedly in some of them, Must be made in "Bumflock, Egypt" with ground up camel droppings for gunpowder! I can remember many decades ago when .22lr were about 50 cents a box of fifty. Now the prices are about 6 cents per round buying a brick of 500 at a time. Our Grandkids come down here to the great outdoors from one of those crowded Cities where they can't even shoot a BB gun and have a ball ! They can go through a brick of .22lr in an afternoon and the Texas blood in them makes them prefer the AR15 with a .22lr conversion and an Armscore AK22 which looks just like a AK47...And I have a couple of very old, in excellent condition single shot .22s they won't even look at...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Frisco, TX
    One flavor of CCI .22LR really fouls up my barrel with lead. I have to run a bore brush a few times to get the lead shavings out. After I'm done shooting all of my CCI, I'm going back to Federal.

Michael.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    i'm not as picky when it comes to .22, i usually shoot wincheater in my .22s but i will get whatever is in stock at the time, the malfunction i had may not be caused by the ammo but i was unhappy with it and figured it was possible. The spent casing stuck betwen the slide and barrel parallel with the new round and right on top of it. I have been practicing with my pistols alot more so it was easier to notice the accuracy diff shooting about 35 yrds.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    The federal stuff is usually cheaper than WWB so I'll go with that. No problems through my pistols and I've never been worried about dirty ammo. I've got time on my hands and cleaning guns is a good use for that time.

I did have one case split so the brass probably isn't the best for reloading.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The federal stuff is usually cheaper than WWB so I'll go with that. No problems through my pistols and I've never been worried about dirty ammo. I've got time on my hands and cleaning guns is a good use for that time.

I did have one case split so the brass probably isn't the best for reloading.

Good to know, i have yesterdays brass sitting by the tumbler, guess it will go to the recycling bucket when i get home.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Excluding 22lr. I Shoot almost exclusively federal ammo.

I have found it to be very consistent and clean. By comparison, I have found wwb to be a bit dirty.

So it is interesting that we are seeing such different results.

I also have no issues reloading it in 9mm.

TX0303

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    CenTex
    You get what you pay for! Don't discount all Federal ammo based upon their low-end-for-Walmart stuff. One of the finest defensive rounds is the Federal HST.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    With each shot i was greeted with small bits of what i assume was carbon hitting my hands and a lot of smoke comeing out around the chamber and slide and accuracy was terrible.

Exactly same issue with Ruger P95 and Glock G26 gen3.

I have been told that their SD ammo is good.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    The same thing happened to me while shooting the same ammo out of my brothers Taurus PT92. I could feel the dirty powder hitting me in the face.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I have run thousands of the Federal Walmart stuff and NEVER had a problem. I would blaim the Taurus first.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have run thousands of the Federal Walmart stuff and NEVER had a problem. I would blaim the Taurus first.

That would mean that it also responsible for all the small particles hitting my hands and face with each shot and the excessive smoke comeing from the chamber after each shot. Added to the fact that i had the same troubles out of another pisol in another caliber, i will assume it was the ammunition.

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    Go buy some federal somewhere besides walmart and you will find a difference. When I buy ammo for plinking I buy federal and have never had an issue, I have also reloaded more used federal casings than I can count and have never had an issue with it. Walmart demands a lower end product to keep cost down so you get what you pay for.

I personally refuse to buy any WWB because nothing I own will eat it very well, regardless of caliber.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Crazy, i have had nothing but good luck from walmart wwb, i wonder if any of the different experiences could be regional, not sure why it would.

RNstanger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    So Cal
    I just went to wally world today and picked up some federal ammo myself. It's pretty much the only ammo i've been using and love it. Never had any problems with it. And the price is right.

hangtree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    Used to buy only WWB for plinking. Then began having problems with it in several guns. Changed to the cheap Federals and problems went away. So now I pass up the WWB in favor of the cheaper Federals and have no problems with it. Seems people have different experiences with it tho.

Top Bottom