• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We visited the National Museum of the Pacific War today, and there still are no 30.06 or 30.07 signs.

Just a suggestion, but if you want to get into a "WWII vibe" before going, have breakfast or an early lunch at the Fredericksburg Airport Diner. Good food and you can watch planes take off and land while you eat. Seating is limited, and it's popular so you may have to wait to get in; but you can check out the Hangar Hotel next door while you're waiting!

The Nimitz Museum is closed for restoration, but will reopen in November. We were told to hang on to our tickets and we'll get admittance once it's open.
    Guns International

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Been working on the Nimitz for a while. Do they have the other PT boat up yet? Much better than the nasa museum, no kid games. Lots of China/Japan early history leading up to WWI. Another good one is in KC at the WWI Memorial Mall. The old riverboat pulled out of the ground at river key is great too. Miss the one in Jef City that had a scale model of the Big Mo and must be a divisions worth of rifles in racks all around the walls like the stacks in a library. Muzzle loaders to Garands.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Been working on the Nimitz for a while. Do they have the other PT boat up yet? Much better than the nasa museum, no kid games. Lots of China/Japan early history leading up to WWI. Another good one is in KC at the WWI Memorial Mall. The old riverboat pulled out of the ground at river key is great too. Miss the one in Jef City that had a scale model of the Big Mo and must be a divisions worth of rifles in racks all around the walls like the stacks in a library. Muzzle loaders to Garands.

The PT boat is a couple blocks down in the same location where they do the re-enactments. I have pics, but they're on my laptop at home.

All in all, the National Museum of the Pacific War was OK but to be honest it has a lot more graphics and information out than actual artifacts. It seems to be more geared toward those who are looking to learn the history of WWII in the Pacific than those looking for items on display from that era. I feel the Texas Military Forces Museum at Camp Mabry in Austin is actually better in that regard, but its focus is obviously more broad time-wise and more narrow in scope. I would highly recommend their "Hands on History" events where they allow people (for a price) to "climb inside a M4A3 Sherman tank, a German Hetzer, WWII and post war era jeeps, a Kiowa and Raven helicopter, US and German halftracks and M113 and more. Weapons from the Civil War through the War on Terror will be available to touch and pick up. Including all the standard infantry weapons and anti tank weapons: items like the M1863 Springfield, Krag-Jorgenson, Japanese type 99, BAR, German MP 40, Russian AK-47s, M1-D sniper rifle, and many, many more. Uniformed reenactors will also be available to discuss the history of each weapon." The next one is 20 July from 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm.

I tend to visit a lot of military museums, I recently got to the Airborne and Special Forces Museum in Fayetteville, the Technik Museum Sinsheim in Germany, and will be revisiting the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum on Ford Island, O'ahu in the near future, and I would not place the one in Fredericksburg high on my list of favorites.

Don't get me wrong, we had a great time there and I recommend it to anyone interested in WWII history; but I felt it could have used a lot less details about the events that occurred (I can read or watch documentaries to learn about that) and more items to see in person...

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I was recently at Fort Davis, which has a spectacular hiking trail on the site. We noticed the sign at the office and did not carry for our trip there. I did NOT like not carrying while hiking. However, later I was researching and came to the conclusion that ONLY the office at Fort Davis was off limits for carry as a National Park status, the grounds were fine to carry. I think I was looking up info for national parks and determined this.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    IPhone app might not be the best source of information. Parking lot is not included in definition a federal facility. You can look it up for yourself. 18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Parking lot at the Post Office is off limits but that is for a different reason.

30.06 has nothing to do with a weapon in your vehicle because inside your vehicle you are not carrying on the authority of your CHL. You may legally drive past that sign.

What about this sign at the gate of the DFW National Cemetery?

f23868e18b8f6dbd3d13d0ee59d11d37.jpg

It says “on this property”. It makes it difficult for me to visit my Mother’s grave. The cemetery is an hour away from my home. I drive by it a lot while working, however I’m always carrying. So, I can’t just visit the cemetery while I’m in the area. I have to make a special 2 hour round trip to leave my gun at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• f23868e18b8f6dbd3d13d0ee59d11d37.jpg
      f23868e18b8f6dbd3d13d0ee59d11d37.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 538

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

View attachment 177230

It says “on this property”. It makes it difficult for me to visit my Mother’s grave. The cemetery is an hour away from my home. I drive by it a lot while working, however I’m always carrying. So, I can’t just visit the cemetery while I’m in the area. I have to make a special 2 hour round trip to leave my gun at home.

Easiest thing to do is read USC 18 Section 930...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

In a nutshell, per that code the term “Federal facility” means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

In other words, as long as you don't go into any Federal buildings armed, you are not in violation of USC 18 Sec 930.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

View attachment 177230

In my post you quoted I provided a link to 18 USC 930. A "Federal facility" does not include a road, parking lot, etc. Only buildings. So, you are not in violation as long as you don't enter any buildings. You may legally carry to visit your Mother's grave. Works the same way in National parks etc.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Again, please tell me just where, under our U. S. Constitution, could they find authority to deny citizens a specified, enumerated CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT ?

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" ?

I'll wait.

leVieux

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    IPhone app might not be the best source of information. Parking lot is not included in definition a federal facility. You can look it up for yourself. 18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Parking lot at the Post Office is off limits but that is for a different reason.

30.06 has nothing to do with a weapon in your vehicle because inside your vehicle you are not carrying on the authority of your CHL. You may legally drive past that sign.

There's a post office in Austin (far west blvd) that is in a strip mall.

Is the entire parking lot no go?

How about the connected businesses

Top Bottom