Fell for the "eXRS" gimmick

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by woulf, Jul 21, 2008.

1. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
  2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The environment has more to do with it than the radios sometimes. But to get around that, you'll spend close to $300 each for the good ones, and Best Buy won't sell them. :D

3. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    What was wrong with them?

4. Acesn8's

Acesn8's Well-Known

Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I have had good luck with Motorola's and a throat mic that combo works great for huntin. 2c.jpg

5. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX

We tried them across the parking lot of Walgreens and there was alot of static. Tried one outside while one inside, and they became useless. (tried that method since they claimed to offer the best interior reception, being digital):cool:

6. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    20-mile range for FRS radios? Some marketing guy at Cobra is smoking crack.

If you really want less static, go to amateur (ham) radios. You'll have to get licenses but it's way worth it. There are some great little hand-held ham radios now.

7. Pony

Pony Member

May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I use a good old fashioned CB. If privacy is not a problem, then you can pick em up a dime a dozen. I have a loud one in my pickup and a couple of small handhelds we use around the ranch. It has its advantage that you can also use it in case of breakdowns, to get local or traffic info from other drivers (usually only commercial drivers are using CB's still), or just chat mindless babble on long trips. I have mine turned on when making any out of town trips, it can be useful when "your toenails are scratching" and you don't want a "Christmas card" from "Smokey" - it saved me a possible ticket a couple of times when I'd let my speed creep up a little too much on the interstate.

8. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    +1! Great deals to be had on excellent amateur handhelds with great range and features.
    Charlie (AKA n5esj)

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The FCC limits wattage on FRS frequencies to one-half watt. You will not get much out of spitting range with that ;)

The GMRS frequencies are not so limited, (50 watt max allowed) but the retail bought ones usually have no more than 5 watts.

I have a set of 5 Watt radios, and the reception dies just prior to one-half mile from my house. I suspect the advertised range may be over open water under other ideal conditions.

10. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    UHF frequencies, low power (1 to 5 watts), and the damn RUBBER DUCK no gain (actually, minus gain) antennas make those kinda' inefficient. But they will reach out 5 to 10 miles.............................from an airplane 3500 ft. + or a mountain top! :rofl: Public service (police, fire, etc.) handhelds work pretty good because of an extensive repeater service (most of the time). Just my $.02 worth.