• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaylee1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    Hello all,

First time poster here and seek some clarification...preferably from a police officer or game warden if possible.

I am a felon (non-violent computer crime conviction from 17 years ago -- had to throw that in, can't stand the "felon" stigma).

I'm fully aware of Texas law as it reads regarding gun sales/ownership as it applies to felons...cannot possess a firearm "at any location other than the premises at which the person lives..."

But, I'm wondering how this applies to me hunting on my own property where I also have a residence?

This is acreage with a home which I own and frequently visit, but not my actual full-time residence.

Thanks
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    To the best of my knowledge, you're only allowed black powder...But there will be twenty other people along shortly, to argue twenty other points

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    If it's legal for you to have firearms, my bet is it would only be legal at the permanent residence.

17 more points headed your way .. lol

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    IIRC the state allows a felon to possess a firearm on the premises where they live after a certain period of time (6 years???). However, federal law does not make the same provision, and that law may apply to you as well. Just because the state says it is ok, (kinda like the marijuana thing now) the federal law against it is still enforceable. Now one way is if you have had your civil rights restored, has a judge done that??

Your best bet is to consult an attorney.

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Per Texas Parks and Wildlife Felons may not use firearms to hunt not including muzzle loaders.

[h=3]Possession of Firearms by Felons[/h]A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, §46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    As it stands, you're screwed by federal law, unless there's some loophole because you were a minor (by federal standards) when convicted.
    How old are you now? Was your conviction here in Texas? Have you applied for a pardon?

Eli

kaylee1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll try to address them.

@cbigclarke - Yes, felons can use blackpower anytime as long as it's a "replica" which most new blackpowder guns fall under, unless the barrel can be interchanged into a centerfire. ie. Thompson, etc. I use a CVA Optima when I deer hunt.

@Koinonia - Yes, technically felons are not supposed to purchase ammunition, but there is no background check on that. I purchase it all the time from Academy, Bass Pro, etc. along with my hunting license and so forth.

@Glockster69 - You came closest to what I am looking for as far as an answer. I'll rephrase the question at the end of this.

@Acera - It is 5 years here in Texas. 5 years from the date of your release from prison or probation. But yes, Federal law still restricts ownership forever. Catch-22 there in the laws.

@bones_708 - Correct, I am aware of that clause.

@Eli - Conviction was here in Texas. I was not a minor. I was 20 at the time, 37 now. Yes, I applied for a pardon a few years ago, but was denied. (I think I screwed myself on that the first time around, because I included some pics of me and Rick Perry together. Haha. I used to run a state-wide political organization which often put us in the same spot.) You have to wait 2 years before you can apply again. I'm actually in the process of doing that now. But even if you are granted a pardon by the governor, it doesn't give you back your right to possess firearms, you have to file an additional form after that which states that your right to possess will only be restored if you can prove that you need a firearm to survive.

So, to rephrase my initial question, I guess what I was wondering is how the law would hold up if the situation were to arise that I was questioned on my property. If for example I was hunting on my property where I had a residence. I don't really worry about it...knock on wood...I've been hunting for 25+ years (occasionally with a sheriff friend of mine) and have never been stopped/questioned by law enforcement or a game warden, and they'd have to have cause to come on my property anyway. This is really all just a hypothetical question regarding the wording of the law as it applies to the word "residence".

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You can use archery, including crossbow. IIRC, firearm in your residence after 5 year anniversary of last day of oncarceration or mandated supervision. But you can't buy it or the ammo. Fed laws still apply, so be careful. Muzzle loaders, NO inline. Not invented before 1899. Must be an original or reproduction. No black powder either. Has to be a BP substitute. Pyrodex, triple 7, etc.. Good luck, and welcome.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ....So, to rephrase my initial question, I guess what I was wondering is how the law would hold up if the situation were to arise that I was questioned on my property. If for example I was hunting on my property where I had a residence. I don't really worry about it...knock on wood...I've been hunting for 25+ years (occasionally with a sheriff friend of mine) and have never been stopped/questioned by law enforcement or a game warden, and they'd have to have cause to come on my property anyway. This is really all just a hypothetical question regarding the wording of the law as it applies to the word "residence".

with that last statement ... to me... it almost seems like you are doing this anyway and have been for sometime. Then you ask a question almost as an afterthought. It's like folks who buy a new to them gun and then come here and post all sorts of questions about whether they got a good buy or not. I just don't know if I would have brought this information onto a public forum If I were you

I do wish you all the best as for getting your rights restored, I just could not imagine losing that as firearms are such a big part of my daily life

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    paradise, ATX
    ... I purchase it all the time from Academy, Bass Pro, etc. along with my hunting license and so forth.

...I've been hunting for 25+ years (occasionally with a sheriff friend of mine)...

You openly admit breaking the law ??? So what you really want is to know if anyone here knows of a loophole you can use to justify your actions. Sorry can't help you.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll try to address them.

@cbigclarke - Yes, felons can use blackpower anytime as long as it's a "replica" which most new blackpowder guns fall under, unless the barrel can be interchanged into a centerfire. ie. Thompson, etc. I use a CVA Optima when I deer hunt.

@Koinonia - Yes, technically felons are not supposed to purchase ammunition, but there is no background check on that. I purchase it all the time from Academy, Bass Pro, etc. along with my hunting license and so forth.

@Glockster69 - You came closest to what I am looking for as far as an answer. I'll rephrase the question at the end of this.

@Acera - It is 5 years here in Texas. 5 years from the date of your release from prison or probation. But yes, Federal law still restricts ownership forever. Catch-22 there in the laws.

@bones_708 - Correct, I am aware of that clause.

@Eli - Conviction was here in Texas. I was not a minor. I was 20 at the time, 37 now. Yes, I applied for a pardon a few years ago, but was denied. (I think I screwed myself on that the first time around, because I included some pics of me and Rick Perry together. Haha. I used to run a state-wide political organization which often put us in the same spot.) You have to wait 2 years before you can apply again. I'm actually in the process of doing that now. But even if you are granted a pardon by the governor, it doesn't give you back your right to possess firearms, you have to file an additional form after that which states that your right to possess will only be restored if you can prove that you need a firearm to survive.

So, to rephrase my initial question, I guess what I was wondering is how the law would hold up if the situation were to arise that I was questioned on my property. If for example I was hunting on my property where I had a residence. I don't really worry about it...knock on wood...I've been hunting for 25+ years (occasionally with a sheriff friend of mine) and have never been stopped/questioned by law enforcement or a game warden, and they'd have to have cause to come on my property anyway. This is really all just a hypothetical question regarding the wording of the law as it applies to the word "residence".

A game warden can come on your property just about any time they want, especially if you are hunting. They have a lot of leeway.

I'm not up to date on that side of the law enough to say just which ones you are breaking, but it doesn't sound like you are legal. State probably won't enforce the fed law, but the game warden will most likely enforce whatever laws you are breaking. They don't tend to look past things.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You openly admit breaking the law ??? So what you really want is to know if anyone here knows of a loophole you can use to justify your actions. Sorry can't help you.

Be gentle now. Sounds to me like he simply asked about a specific legal definition of the word "residence" in a context which may well have already been decided by case law. A legitimate question considering that lawyers make a living parsing words and their meaning. The wisdom of doing so in a public forum can be left to a debate by the pious, but it is certainly becoming easier to become a lawbreaker under this overreaching government.

Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yes, technically felons are not supposed to purchase ammunition, but there is no background check on that. I purchase it all the time from Academy, Bass Pro, etc. along with my hunting license and so forth.

I used to run a state-wide political organization.....................

So, to rephrase my initial question, I guess what I was wondering is how the law would hold up if the situation were to arise that I was questioned on my property. If for example I was hunting on my property where I had a residence. I don't really worry about it...knock on wood...I've been hunting for 25+ years (occasionally with a sheriff friend of mine) and have never been stopped/questioned by law enforcement or a game warden, and they'd have to have cause to come on my property anyway. ....................

Dude, you know the answers to your questions. Unfortunately you seem to be the type that enforces the prejudices many have against politicians. (Thanks for the tit bit about the Perry picture not getting you any special favors, warms my heart to know that many in our govt. are not corrupt.)

You are fully aware that you are doing wrong and are trying to justify your actions and figure out a way to get away with it. Obviously you did not learn from your prior mistakes.

Thanks for you interest in this forum, however I don't think many here will continue too assist you in your continued scheming to violate the law.

So Clarke, what is the count now???

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Not real bright to come on a public forum and admit to being a felon in possession and purchasing ammunition .

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Dude, you know the answers to your questions. Unfortunately you seem to be the type that enforces the prejudices many have against politicians. (Thanks for the tit bit about the Perry picture not getting you any special favors, warms my heart to know that many in our govt. are not corrupt.)

You are fully aware that you are doing wrong and are trying to justify your actions and figure out a way to get away with it. Obviously you did not learn from your prior mistakes.

Thanks for you interest in this forum, however I don't think many here will continue too assist you in your continued scheming to violate the law.

So Clarke, what is the count now???

You come across as a an pro Government cheer leader that will follow any laws be it unjust or not, folks like you aren't what made this country the greatest country on earth it is the folks that stand flat footed and are aware of an unjust law and lobby to change it.
    Laws in the USA are entirely out of reality and if there is an individual more corrupt than a law maker I certainly haven't met them.
    i think the OJ Simpson proved just how corrupt the justice system can be.
    These damned special interests groups that lobby bought off politicians irk my ass.
    I have a ranch in Deep South Texas and a couple smaller places in the Hill Country where I reside.
    After a long hot day of working cattle in south Texas I used to enjoyed, stopping and filling up my pickup with gas and buying a bottle of beer, not any more I am deprived of that because some idiots lobbied the law makers and now we have the open container law, these blanket laws just don't work, all they do is keep the honest deprived and the un honest just ignore them.
    Best. Regards. Jstout

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    While "hypothetical" this is not a smart post.

Still, I think the laws are ridiculous as-is. Not sure I'd follow them if I was in this guy's situation.

I get that you lose your rights while in prison, but either someone's paid their debt or they haven't. "Applying" for your rights when you get out is straight up big government bullshit.

Top Bottom