• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    While "hypothetical" this is not a smart post.

Still, I think the laws are ridiculous as-is. Not sure I'd follow them if I was in this guy's situation.

I get that you lose your rights while in prison, but either someone's paid their debt or they haven't. "Applying" for your rights when you get out is straight up big government bullshit.

Agreed wholeheartedly. One of my friends is in this same situation with his father - pot possession charge from back in the 70s fucked him over big-time, unfortunately stripping him of his life-long passion for firearms. Kicker is that because of how fucked up the laws are, my friend had to have a 750 pound safe bolted to the floor and wall in his bedroom so that the family can rightfully claim that dad can't readily access his son's firearms.

Hoping like hell he can get his R2KBA back, because we (his son and I) plan on going into the firearms retail business in a couple years, and it'd be awesome if dad could be involved as well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    ........what made this country the greatest country on earth it is the folks that stand flat footed and are aware of an unjust law and lobby to change it.

I obey the law. It's not that I am afraid of the "man" or that I'm meek or timid. I feel that if all of us followed the rules and treated each other as the law specifies, this place would be a better place to live.

My compliance is not absolute. If Obama shoved his gun control agendas up our butts the term "civil disobedience" would float to the top of my priorities. When the "law" is used to limit Constitutionally guaranteed rights and to control an otherwise orderly citizenry, it's time to resist.

I see nothing of that nature in the rules forbidding felons from owning firearms. You knew what the penalties could be long before you embarked on your felonious behavior. Limiting guns from people who have serious law violations is not unreasonable and it protects the rest of us from re-offending.

Sorry, I can't condone your actions. The same attitude that steered you into that felony charge years ago is guiding you in your illegal possession and use of firearms, now. It could land you in a cell in the Texas Prison system! I used to work there. They will always have a rack ready and waiting for you. Similarly, the Federal lockup has an open door policy for anyone who thinks that they are above the law.

I know people who have convictions or for other reasons, are forbidden to have firearms. They hunt with archery and crossbows and lead pretty good lives. Would you consider OBEYING the law?

Flash

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You come across as a an pro Government cheer leader............................................

You obviously have not been paying attention to my postings. :roflsmile:

So I am a cheerleader for thinking it is not ok for people to help convicted felons commit more crimes??? LOL.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I obey the law. It's not that I am afraid of the "man" or that I'm meek or timid. I feel that if all of us followed the rules and treated each other as the law specifies, this place would be a better place to live.

My compliance is not absolute. If Obama shoved his gun control agendas up our butts the term "civil disobedience" would float to the top of my priorities. When the "law" is used to limit Constitutionally guaranteed rights and to control an otherwise orderly citizenry, it's time to resist.

I see nothing of that nature in the rules forbidding felons from owning firearms. You knew what the penalties could be long before you embarked on your felonious behavior. Limiting guns from people who have serious law violations is not unreasonable and it protects the rest of us from re-offending.

Sorry, I can't condone your actions. The same attitude that steered you into that felony charge years ago is guiding you in your illegal possession and use of firearms, now. It could land you in a cell in the Texas Prison system! I used to work there. They will always have a rack ready and waiting for you. Similarly, the Federal lockup has an open door policy for anyone who thinks that they are above the law.

I know people who have convictions or for other reasons, are forbidden to have firearms. They hunt with archery and crossbows and lead pretty good lives. Would you consider OBEYING the law?

Flash

Funny, you have admitted to your past on this forum, many things which were illegal.

Seems by your standard you should go ahead and turn in your firearms. After all, you did break the law. You did the same things as many felons.

Seems you feel that since you didn't get caught the standard is different. Same actions, yet you believe your rights should remain intact while others should have theirs removed.

Talk the talk, walk the walk.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    why would OP even bother to buy a hunting permit? If he knows he is breaking the law by purchasing ammo and hunting with a firearm, why buy the permit?

I would either go all the way or not at all.

"yes officer, I was doing 102 in a 75, while drinking a beer, in a stolen car with no inspection sticker, insurance or tags, but I do have a valid drivers license."

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    why would OP even bother to buy a hunting permit? If he knows he is breaking the law by purchasing ammo and hunting with a firearm, why buy the permit?

"yes officer, I was doing 102 in a 75, while drinking a beer, in a stolen car with no inspection sticker, insurance or tags, but I do have a valid drivers license."

Cause hunting without a permit is probably worse than the other charges, lol.

Odds of being hit of the fed laws is pretty low unless there is something bigger involved, as I understand.

Also, a game warden will likely not look any further than checking the permit against the DL in my experience. Lack of a permit would bring further examination and probably uncover the other factors involved.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    You obviously have not been paying attention to my postings. :roflsmile:

So I am a cheerleader for thinking it is not ok for people to help convicted felons commit more crimes??? LOL.

OK you are pro gun law, and I have some problems with blanket laws period be they gun or not.
    I usually shy away from topics like these because I truthfully view laws and law makers as a necessary evil.
    i have long watched the law makers pass laws that guarantee them rights that you or I will never have, example ? Everyone one of them and their families are exempt from Obama care they get the platinum plan and you get Obama care and they pay for it with your money.
    you may be a youngster and not really involved in the health care issues yet but God willing you will be.
    Remember when Reagan passed a law that no one was the be given a raise in the country ?
    Congress just passed a law that they were exempt from the law and guaranteed them selves a 10% raise annually.
    Those Washington politicians don't have a clue about Texas life style much less what it takes to pencil cattle for a living all they know is pass a law and instead of a detailed laws where they would have to actually study it and put forth something intelligent they just pass a blanket law that affects the good and the bad, and their explanation ?
    The poor guys are just over worked don't really have the time, anyone know how often congress is in session ?
    I ll give you an example stating up front I don't know what law/laws the OP broke, his forfeiture of his gun rights may be justified.......But you can get a felony conviction for DWI, how in the hell does that relate to a gun law ?
    best joe
    PS My apologies if you do have the God given common sense to look unjust in the face and refuse to back up

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Well number 5, the key word here is "convictions". I have NO convictions, charges or other limitations on my citizenship. My record is absolutely spotless. Why or how did that happen? I damned sure don't know.

It doesn't matter if you agree with that or not. That's the way it is.

Your post has the usual combative tone, belligerent and rude. Long ago, my behavior would have been much different. Today, I bid you a good day and settle back into a peaceful coexistence enabled by the "ignore" list.

I looked at your post.....It was very predictable that it turned out to be a mistake. It won't happen again.

As to my past...........I grew up. You might try that.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You are wing dishonest with yourself if you think the conviction makes more difference than the actions themselves.

If you believe you have more right to your rights than someone else based on whether or not you were caught, you have some seriously flawed logic.

I wouldn't call your method of reasoning "grown up".

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    As it stands you can possess and shoot modern firearms on property you own but cannot hunt with them. You can hunt with muzzle loading black powder as long as its a replica pre 1895. Your crime makes you a great candidate to have your gun rights restored. I would suggest you start down that road by talking to Shawn Cody, an atty and member here, to get pointed in the right direction. Get your gun rights restored and you would be able to carry your car and hunt.

Got a good buddy in a very similar situation. Would love to be able to hunt with him again but right now I don't see any way it can happen without his risking his freedom.

Of course we can bow hunt and he's got some black powder stuff but he can't have any of the badass modern bp stuff.

Good luck.

Shoot Sean Cody an email. Probably won't be cheap but really nothing worthwhile is.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Well number 5, the key word here is "convictions". I have NO convictions, charges or other limitations on my citizenship. My record is absolutely spotless. Why or how did that happen? I damned sure don't know.

It doesn't matter if you agree with that or not. That's the way it is.

Your post has the usual combative tone, belligerent and rude. Long ago, my behavior would have been much different. Today, I bid you a good day and settle back into a peaceful coexistence enabled by the "ignore" list.

I looked at your post.....It was very predictable that it turned out to be a mistake. It won't happen again.

As to my past...........I grew up. You might try that.

Flash

Damn I wish some of you grown up and not so grown up guys would learn how to use the quote feature. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what the hell was going on and who was going on whose ignore list.

I'd like to see a day when a new guy pops on, asks a question regarding something important to his life and get answers without his thread ending up in a pissing match.

Y'all are both great guys who I have no doubt would get along just fine if you were sitting at a supper table together. Not everyone conveys their thoughts clearly through written text and not everyone "gets" what has been written.

Don't let the Internet get to you.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    you may be a youngster .................................

Stop it picker, I am rolling on the floor laughing my ass off at your ignorance of me..............

But tell me more why you think it is unjust that felons can't have guns and we should help them commit more crimes????? Are you a troll for the left wing anti-gunners trying to get something to use against law abiding citizens and their 2nd amendment rights???

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have no doubt would get along just fine if you were sitting at a supper table together.

I don't believe that's true. Statistically, the standard distribution bell curve applies, here. 12-15% of the population will like you no matter what you do. 12-15% of the population will hate your guts regardless of what you do. The vast majority in the center of the curve don't give a shit one way or the other.

When I find someone who is particularly rude, abrasive, combative or difficult, I figure that I found one of the negative 12-15% at that end of the curve. I make note of it but do not attempt to repair the problems. With 24,000 members here, there are plenty of folks who are easier to get along with. The bottom line is that I didn't confront him.....he jumped me over my post.

So....relax, we'll just cruise to different parts of the forum and restrict any further contact. There's no need to get along with EVERYONE.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That same type of post is what got me on his ignore list.

He seems to consider anyone who questions his posts or disagrees to be abrasive and claims he was "jumped".

Nothing in my post was abrasive, I simply questioned his reasoning. He isn't willing to be introspective on the subject so I get accused of being rude. Most on his ignore list were put there for equally frivolous reasons.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas

Believe it or not guns are only one of many legal methods of taking game.

Pretty much anything that can be done with a gun can be done with a bow and in a much cooler and more respectable fashion.

Archery, spear, slingshot, knife, etc... All legal hunting equipment (species specific of course) for OP to own and all requiring the same hunting license and hunter safety course as any other (gun) method.

I for one am glad that guys like OP don't just give up and sulk in their circumstances.

I believe that there should be some avenue in place for certain non-violent, single offense felons to eventually get their full (not just guns) rights back both state and federal.

Not one of us (older guys) would want to be judged forever over dumbass mistakes we made in our late teens or early '20s.

Roger makes a good point, although I would have worded it differently, in that there is not a single one of us here who at some point in our lives could not have been charged with a felony if caught at just the right time.

I'm one of the most straight laced people you'd meet when it comes to abiding by the law but sometimes we get sloppy or in my case forgetful.

I'll never forget the morning I walked into the courthouse to go to work, bullshit with the county Sheriff and some deputies for a few minutes then walked over to my table, started setting up my laptop and almost shit myself when I saw I'd left one of my CC guns in my laptop bag. I casually closed the bag, picked it up and walked back to my car and properly stowed the pistol shaking the whole time because I knew I had just inadvertently committed a felony and if I'd been caught before I could take corrective action would have made the news, been blackballed from my career field, made an example of, and everything else negative to me and more importantly my family that goes along with all that.

So...

I support OP if his account of his charge is true and accurate which I believe it is and hope that one day he gets to experience unloading the truck 50 minutes before sunrise, getting in position and ready to pull the trigger on his legally owned modern shotgun the minute the half hour before sunrise buzzer goes off on his phone (hope I'm not the only one who sets alarms for such things) and feels the rush of the first shot of opening morning; all free and clear without having to look over his shoulder in worry that his day could end locked in a cell over something stupid he did 17 years ago.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Stop it picker, I am rolling on the floor laughing my ass off at you ignorance of me..............

But tell me more why you think it is unjust that felons can't have guns and we should help them commit more crimes????? Are you a troll for the left wing anti-gunners trying to get something to use against law abiding citizens and their 2nd amendment rights???

Picker hasn't really explained his stance much, but some of us see no problems with felons owning guns. It's not really about allowing them to commit more crimes though.

I'm along the lines of MHs post. If a felon can't be trusted with a firearm, they should probably still be on prison. If they are responsible enough to walk among us in society, they should be responsible enough to exercise their rights.

Again, I have no idea if the is Pickers stance, as he hasn't taken the time to explain his ideas in much detail.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    As it stands you can possess and shoot modern firearms on property you own but cannot hunt with them.

Just a quick question, how does he get by the federal prohibition on that????

Is it ok becasue there is little chance he will get caught???

Why don't folks seem to respect, or concern themselves with federal laws?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I have no doubt would get along just fine if you were sitting at a supper table together.

I don't believe that's true. Statistically, the standard distribution bell curve applies, here. 12-15% of the population will like you no matter what you do. 12-15% of the population will hate your guts regardless of what you do. The vast majority in the center of the curve don't give a shit one way or the other.

When I find someone who is particularly rude, abrasive, combative or difficult, I figure that I found one of the negative 12-15% at that end of the curve. I make note of it but do not attempt to repair the problems. With 24,000 members here, there are plenty of folks who are easier to get along with. The bottom line is that I didn't confront him.....he jumped me over my post.

So....relax, we'll just cruise to different parts of the forum and restrict any further contact. There's no need to get along with EVERYONE.

Flash

Well, I do have to respectfully point out that your quoted general population statistics are inaccurate to this particular forum of people due to obvious shared interests and goals.

Point being everyone here (majority anyway) shares certain forms of commonality that cannot not be found in a similar sized group gathered randomly from the general population.

I'm not telling you that you should not ignore posters who you perceive to be assholes or confrontational; I'm just saying that you have a much greater likelihood of being able to work out and overcome your differences with guys here than you would with a similarly representative member of the general population.

Some of my best and longest lasting friendships were formed in the aftermath of fights.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Believe it or not guns are only one of many legal methods of legally taking game.

Pretty much anything that can be done with a gun can be done with a bow and in a much cooler and more respectable fashion at that.

Archery, spear, slingshot, knife, etc... All legal hunting equipment (species specific of course) for OP to own and all requiring the same hunting license and hunter safety course as any other (gun) method.

I for one am glad that guys like OP don't just give up and sulk in their circumstances.

I believe that there should be some avenue in place for certain non-violent, single offense felons to eventually get their full (not just guns) rights back both state and federal.

Not one of us (older guys) would want to ne judged forever over dumbass mistakes we made in our late teens or early '20s.

Roger makes a good point, although I would have worded it differently, in that there is not a single one of us here who at some point in our lives could not have been charged with a felony if caught at just the right time.

I'm one of the most straight laced people you'd meet when it comes to abiding by the law but sometimes we get sloppy or in my case forgetful.

I'll never forget the morning I walked into the courthouse to go to work, bullshit with the county Sheriff and some deputies for a few minutes then walked over to my table, started setting up my laptop and almost shit myself when I saw I'd left one of my CC guns in my laptop bag. I casually closed the bag, picked it up and walked back to my car and properly stowed the pistol shaking the whole time because I knew I had just inadvertently committed a felony and if I'd been caught before I could take corrective action would have made the news, been blackballed from my career field, made an example of, and everything else negative to me and more importantly my family that goes along with all that.

So...

I support OP if his account of his charge is true and accurate which I believe it is and hope that one day he gets to experience unloading the truck 50 minutes before sunrise, getting in position and ready to pull the trigger on his legally owned modern shotgun the minute the half hour before sunrise buzzer goes off on his phone (hope I'm not the only one who sets alarms for such things) and feels the rush of the first shot of opening morning; all free and clear without having to look over his shoulder in worry that his day could end locked in a cell over something stupid he did 17 years ago.

But that's just me.

Well said..............best/joe

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom