• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I had a rancher contact me about removing coyotes and hogs. We talked and he wanted to charge. I forgot about it, just not going to pay. I have free places to hunt. Got a call from him about a big cat problem gave him a price and he changed his tune. No more cats now I have another place to hunt for free.

Mike

So um if you ever need back up I'd volunteer to help. LoL

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I'm usually awake at that time anyways. 3am is when I put the brisket on the pit so it'll be ready in time for lunch ;)

So when's lunch? LOL..I've been known to awake at such a godforsaken hour, but there had better be beer and neekid women involved..

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    As a family member of a Texas ranch I can tell you that if the problem is really bad, help is badly wanted, but not just "any" help. There are PLENTY of "experts" out there willing to offer their services, and some of 'em aren't that great to have on your place. One group of hunters really tore some trails up with their four-wheeler - which made me mad, although my uncle chose to overlook it. Also, often there are family friends or relatives that would likely get first dibs since it is private property. Also, between droughts and the economy, as long as there are some folks willing to pay, paid hunters will be the first priority. That's generally how we pay the property taxes on our place each year. Ranching isn't hugely profitable these days, so I don't feel any animosity for those farmers and ranchers trying to get paid for the privilege of hunting. After all, you ARE getting at least two possible benefits - the meat and the fun of shooting on someone's land without harassment. Frankly, I see a bunch of whining that's really a bit self-serving because you want free meat. If it's really the meat you're after, try negotiating with the land owner to get a deal that still gives him some money, and an incentive to have you out, but also gives you a good deal on the meat.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I think rhino is right on a lot of things. But if they are destroying his crops and he does not want to hunt them for whatever reason, it is within his interest to Have them removed. And naturally it is up to the owner to choose who he let's onto his land.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    But if they are destroying his crops and he does not want to hunt them for whatever reason, it is within his interest to Have them removed. And naturally it is up to the owner to choose who he let's onto his land.
    Still, if he isn't begging, then all that is is whining on his part. If it's serious enough to be a nuisance, something WILL be done about it. One other thing I didn't directly mention is the very real threat of liability with someone shooting on your property.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    it would be worth a couple hundred bucks a year for me to be able to go out and "hunt" a couple times a month.

i feel the same way about fishing, it isnt so much about landing a bass, it is more about getting my hooks wet.

walking around in the woods with my rifle for 10+ hours is my idea of fun. even if i dont bag anything.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Well I didnt know that they would whine and cry then wanna charge someone to stop them tearing up their crops and land. Anyways I will find some other means
    Of getting meat for the families who need it. I just thought 2 people could help each other out But I guess those days are long gone. I know when I was a kid long ago it wasnt bought money it was about being a American and a Neighbor, But todays times have changed neighborly has flown the coop and everything has a high price tag I'll have no part of it. I'm not tight with my money I just like doing to help my fellow neighbor out but thanks anyways. I try something else.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Well I didnt know that they would whine and cry then wanna charge someone to stop them tearing up their crops and land. Anyways I will find some other means
    Of getting meat for the families who need it. I just thought 2 people could help each other out But I guess those days are long gone. I know when I was a kid long ago it wasnt bought money it was about being a American and a Neighbor, But todays times have changed neighborly has flown the coop and everything has a high price tag I'll have no part of it. I'm not tight with my money I just like doing to help my fellow neighbor out but thanks anyways. I try something else.
    I wasn't saying that the idea has no merit, just trying to give the other perspective. If you have a genuine setup where you could show the farmer/rancher what and how the meat would be benefiting others, perhaps he would consider it more strongly, or donate the meat to you after he and his buddies shoot it. OTOH, some of those ole hogs are pretty nasty, too.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Rhino,

My last comment wasnt for you I apreaciate all the responses to this thread however some reponses made some clarity on how most farmers operate, I was trying to find a place to get some meat to donate to some needy families. But I will find another way to look for it thanks all for responses.

JBarL

eagles_405

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Nacogdoches
    Farel Hogs do cause major monetary damage to property and it is a fact landowners do not want them. On the other hand just like with anything else, when somebody has to pay for an item, they take alot better care of that item, than if they were given it for free. Landowners could be hesitant and I would be too (if I was a landowner) to let anybody (don't know skill level or anything else about them) come shoot animals on my property and often after dark. It is not hard to mistaken a black calf for a large pig at night. The farel pig issue is something simple hunting is not going to manage the population, as a mature sow can have a litter every 12 to 16 weeks. One method you might try and I have had some success getting landowners to allow is by bow hunting, The pigs have to be close and you can get a good look at them before you shoot. I can see both sides of the issue (both hunter and landowner). Also you might try putting a post up in feed stores about looking to hunt hogs.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Well I am a NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, also a NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor, Waiting on CHL instructor Class, Also I am A
    FFL dealer opening up a gun Shop and in process of putting in a Shooting range, So I think I would be ok to hunt on land somewhere lol
    But I can see everyones point of veiw But however, There are Some responsible people still left in this crazy world we live in.

eagles_405

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Nacogdoches
    Not Trying to say you are not responsible, just trying to explain both points of view on why landowners are not willing to let just anybody hunt their land.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Thanks Eagles_405 Not trying be so hard. But its just frustrating some people in my community could use some meat during these hard economic times. I just thought Texans could help each other out.

Top Bottom