• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    Spring Guns & Ammo just increased their FFL Transfer fee to $50 and put a minimum 48 hours on handling.

I commented that my impression is the average market rate in Houston is currently in the $20-25 range and $10-$15 can be found.

They replied, "Unfortunately, many gun dealers are being forced to raise transfer prices contingent on the receiving hindrance it causes. [...] Also FYI the three nearest comparable store's tranfer fees are $50 and $75."

Anyone experienced "many" dealers increasing transfer fees? I've seen more movement in the market toward lower fees, but this is the first I've heard anyone convince me prices are going the other way!
    Hurley's Gold

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I think Tomball Pawn charges $50 now also. I think the move is more to do with making their in-store prices competitive with online. If you try to save $50 by buying from Buds, you will pay it in the transfer fee.

SGA does have very reasonable prices for a LGS, and whatever they don't have in store they can order.

BTW, HoustonGunShop on Stuebner-Airline charges $10 for CHLers.

bob barker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Houston
    Go to the "Houston gun forum shop" on stuebner airline just north of 1960. He does transfers for $15 for non chl holders and $10 for chl holders. I'm not paying $50 for a transfer. That's ridiculous.

midnightyell

Makes Aggie Jokes Reality
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    Cypress
    Yeah, Cypress Armory is my LGS of choice and John's fees are still reasonable.

I've given my business to Houston Gun Forum/Blog/Shop once and am unlikely to do so again. But that's been beat to death in the past.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Time to shop around.
    You need to tell them instead of making $20 for 15-30 minutes of work they lost that money to their competitor.
    In these times of economic hardship you as the buyer must shop around for the best deal and can know longer be scalped by your local gun store.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    They are just telling you they don't want to do transfers

Agreed, that's ridiculous and I would let them know that they won't be getting any of my business, transfers or otherwise; using such tactics.

I would also inform them that you're going to let all your friends on TexasGunTalk know so they too can take their business elsewhere!
    I'm all for supporting your local gun stores, but I hate price gouging! Fifty bucks for ten minutes of work at the most, they're ripping people off!

Thank God we have a really, really, really, really great guy down here near SA that does these things for a much more reasonable price!

Cheers! M2

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Wow, that is pretty crazy... Glad I work for an FFL and don't have to pay for transfers.... GT Distributors has the most ridiculously drawn out gun purchase process ever and they only charge 10 bucks...

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Wow, that is pretty crazy... Glad I work for an FFL and don't have to pay for transfers.... GT Distributors has the most ridiculously drawn out gun purchase process ever and they only charge 10 bucks...

I haven't heard a peep out of GT for a while(since their 40th Anniversary get-together). Isn't it time for Glocktoberfest or Glockapalooza or something soon? :)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Sounds like they take 48 hrs from time of receipt to tell you it has arrived.
    Cough cough. Bull shit. Cough cough.

I used AMSS for my last transfer.
    Makes you wonder if locals are trying to stop purchases from Bud's.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    No I seen that too... Sounds like a 2 day waiting period!!!!

I took this more as, "They will get to it when they feel like it" than "I am going to hold it for 2 days". Either way, more evidence that they don't really want to do transfers.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    My transfers cost me $65 every three years, plus a $500 per year tax ;)

The "48 hour" thing sounds like they are sick to death of people who call five minutes after ordering (and every three hours after that) asking "...is it here yet?"

Or worse, watch the tracking number and then start calling every five minutes after it shows as "delivered". Yep, that can piss a guy off

Alex

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Jim pruetts went up from $25 to $50, and fountain firearms now charges $80. Houston gun forum is still charging $15 and $10 for chl holders, but he's hard to get in contact with...

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Agreed, that's ridiculous and I would let them know that they won't be getting any of my business, transfers or otherwise; using such tactics.

I would also inform them that you're going to let all your friends on TexasGunTalk know so they too can take their business elsewhere!
    I'm all for supporting your local gun stores, but I hate price gouging! Fifty bucks for ten minutes of work at the most, they're ripping people off!

Thank God we have a really, really, really, really great guy down here near SA that does these things for a much more reasonable price!

Cheers! M2
    I like SGA and they have good (great for a gun store IMO) customer service. That's not the same as saying all counter help is all knowing, but they take care of the customer.
    If needed I just might have to do transfers elsewhere.

The "48 hour" thing sounds like they are sick to death of people who call five minutes after ordering (and every three hours after that) asking "...is it here yet?"

Or worse, watch the tracking number and then start calling every five minutes after it shows as "delivered". Yep, that can piss a guy off

Alex
    You must be in the biz or something ;)
    IIRC, that pretty much sums up the flyer on the wall or a convesation I had with them a couple weeks ago.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom